The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pig in a poke vintage mixer - to much of a hassle?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

pig in a poke vintage mixer - to much of a hassle?

hey ya'll
i'm lurking around for a decent mixer, preferably from the 80', to work with my tascam 234. for current projects, i record only analog. so a good-sounding flexible mixer is a most.
for now, i use a modern yamaha mixer, but i definitely want and financially able to upgrade. iv'e tried a friend's mackie and didn't quit like the sound of it.

iv'e came across a wierd creature from the 80', the Roland M 16E. seems like a beast i gotta say! Each channel has a three-band equaliser with a mid frequency band sweepable from 200 Hz to 5 kHz, also Each channel has inserts, three echo sends and one aux send. XLR's and 1/4, and half of 'em got phantom too.

theres one being sold as is currently, that has some kind of a defect:

"sometimes the inputs cut out and then need to be turned up and back down again to come back. it doesn't happen all the time. the problem effects all channels, but not at the same time, and it seems to happen less the longer it stays on. It might happen once every 15 minutes or so where one of the channels crackles a bit as if the connection is faulty and then it will cut out. Increasing either the gain on the mixer or the sending equipment's output rectifies this and then the gain can be returned to normal."

I have basic knowledge in electronics, but i woul'd definitely want a proffesional to take care of it because it's not somethin' i'm able to fix.
Because all channels exhibit the issue, it sounds as if the problem comes from the buss section.

so the question basically, does anyone have a suggestion to where the problem comes from? how tricky could it be? and what fixing costs one should expect?

thanks

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I wouldn't waste my time on it. You can get a working one for a couple hundred bucks. There's nothing 'vintage' about broken old prosumer grade live gear.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

mixwizards are cheap as snot now-a-days
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
+1 on the MixWizard, especially if you can find one assembled in England. They really packed a lot of quality into those boards. They only thing that I don't like is the reverb/FX sound. It was probably OK for reverb at live shows in the early '90s, but it is very cheesy today.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I still have and use a MixWizard 16:2 from the late 90s. Love the EQ - very easy to find whatever sound i want. Not sure why you want something from a specific decade, but if you just want a used analog mixer that sounds great, I highly recommend it.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search