The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressor pair under $1000 for these uses...
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Head

Compressor pair under $1000 for these uses...

I don't post much, but been around for a while. I work with mostly hip hop, rnb, and other electronic music. Looking for a pair of "colored" compressors mainly for adding tone (warmth, fatness, etc) to virtual instruments, synths, drum loops. Also some drum and or vocal bus duties. Comps I have are warm audio wa2a and wa76 and they handly most of the vocal duties. Comp pairs I'm looking at are

Gap comp 54
RNLA 500
PBC-6a

I have owned an original rnla. So I'm familiar with that. Looking for opinions on the others in comparison. Open to other ideas as well, but mostly interested in those

Thanks in advanve
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Addict

Art pro vla ii is a pretty cool color box / stereo compressor.

A lot of people recommend swapping out the tubes. I never did and liked it. It's priced in plugin territory.

It's one of the few pieces of gear I regret selling but once upon a time I went fully ITB then crept back out

I'll probably re-buy one eventually but I've been held off getting my vibes out of the Retro and I mostly single track.

Last edited by nmrecording; 10th January 2017 at 01:44 PM..
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Head

Ah yeah, I forgot about the vla... Definitely the most cost effective. I don't have any experience with it. But from what I read, sounds like it can be transparent but also add a lol warmth. Hmmm...

Thanks for the reply
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Look for secondhand Overstayer stuff... Their older, discontinued half rack units, the FET and VCA. Pretty nice!

The dbx 163x compressors are also worth looking at.
Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
he dbx 163x compressors are also worth looking at.
163X is a brilliant piece of kit. They sound even better when recapped

The 160X / XT also fits the bill. Others include the MXY Dual limiter (pretty rare), and the Alesis Micro Limiter & Nano Compressor

Nick Froome
Old 11th January 2017
Joemeek. Lots of color.

Some of the old channel strips are great deals. Pres kind of suck, but the twinq is an awesome color comp and eq.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Addict

You could get a pair of Summit TLA50s for close to that price used.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely got a few more pieces to check out now. Appreciate the replies... Kinda forgot about the summit. I almost got one when I was putting my vox chain together, but ended up going with the wa2a instead. Might have to consider a pair of those as well
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search