The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynaudio BM6A MK II vs Dynaudio BM6A
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dynaudio BM6A MK II vs Dynaudio BM6A

Hi guys,

I own a pair of Dynaudio BM6A which i'm really happy with. Today i was just browsing a website & i came upon the new version the MK II. Surprisingly they're cheaper than the older version.

I assume the newer version has been re-designed so it should be better, so i don't really understand why its priced lower?!

Here's a comparison:

Model BM 6A Mk II
Frequency Response
(+/- 3 dB) 40 Hz - 21 kHz
Max SPL 1m, pair
(IEC Long Term) 115 dB peak
Max SPL 2m, 5.1
Input level for 85 dB
SPL @ 1m (+4/-10) -14dBu RMS @ 0dB setting
Input level for max peak SPL (+4/-10) +9dBu Peak @ 0dB setting
Power consumption Idle: 15 W / Max: 130 W
Amplifier power Tweeter: 50 W / Woofer: 100 W
Resonance Frequency 37 Hz
Internal Cabinet Volume 11.7 liters
Bass Principle Bass reflex
Crossover Frequencies 1500 Hz
Crossover Slope 6 dB/oct
Tweeter Esotec 28 mm/1.1” soft dome, rear chamber, Magnetic fluid. 4 mm die-cast alu front, Pure alu wire voice coil
Woofer 175 mm/6.9”, One-piece molded poly-prop cone, 75 mm/3” pure alu voice coil

Model BM 6A
Frequency Response
(+/- 3 dB) 41 Hz - 21 kHz
Max SPL 1m, pair
(IEC Long Term) 118 dB RMS
Max SPL 2m, 5.1
(IEC Long Term) 119,5 dB RMS
Input level for 85 dB
SPL @ 1m (+4/-10) -12 dBu RMS / -28 dBu RMS
Input level for max peak SPL (+4/-10) +16 dBu peak / -1 dBu peak
Power consumption Idle: 25 W / Max: 200 W
Amplifier power Tweeter: 100 W / Woofer: 100 W
Resonance Frequency 49 Hz
Internal Cabinet Volume 9,5 liters
Crossover Frequencies 2200 Hz
Crossover Slope 24 dB/oct
Tweeter Esotec 28 mm soft dome, rear chamber, Magnetic fluid. 4 mm die-cast alu front,
Woofer 17 cm, 75 mm pure alu wire voice coil, One piece molded polypropylene cone

It seems the tweeter on the newer one is 50W compared to 100W on the older model. I also want to know what the Resonance & Crossover Frequency determine. Since the older one's have a crossover frequency of 2200 Hz compared to 1500 Hz on the newer one. Is it better to have a lower crossover & resonance frequency on the monitors?

The point of this thread is to ask whether i should sell my older model & get the newer one's or not. Since they're cheaper it wouldn't cost me much to get the newer model & it sure looks sexier than the older one too!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-cube View Post
Hi guys,

I own a pair of Dynaudio BM6A which i'm really happy with. Today i was just browsing a website & i came upon the new version the MK II. Surprisingly they're cheaper than the older version.

I assume the newer version has been re-designed so it should be better, so i don't really understand why its priced lower?!

Here's a comparison:

Model BM 6A Mk II
Frequency Response
(+/- 3 dB) 40 Hz - 21 kHz
Max SPL 1m, pair
Max SPL 2m, 5.1
Input level for 85 dB
SPL @ 1m (+4/-10) -14dBu RMS @ 0dB setting
Input level for max peak SPL (+4/-10) +9dBu Peak @ 0dB setting
Power consumption Idle: 15 W / Max: 130 W
Amplifier power Tweeter: 50 W / Woofer: 100 W
Resonance Frequency 37 Hz
Internal Cabinet Volume 11.7 liters
Crossover Frequencies 1500 Hz
Crossover Slope 6 dB/oct
Tweeter Esotec 28 mm/1.1” soft dome, rear chamber, Magnetic fluid. 4 mm die-cast alu front, Pure alu wire voice coil
Woofer 175 mm/6.9”, One-piece molded poly-prop cone, 75 mm/3” pure alu voice coil

Model BM 6A
Frequency Response
(+/- 3 dB) 41 Hz - 21 kHz
Max SPL 1m, pair
(IEC Long Term) 118 dB RMS
Max SPL 2m, 5.1
(IEC Long Term) 119,5 dB RMS
Input level for 85 dB
SPL @ 1m (+4/-10) -12 dBu RMS / -28 dBu RMS
Input level for max peak SPL (+4/-10) +16 dBu peak / -1 dBu peak
Power consumption Idle: 25 W / Max: 200 W
Amplifier power Tweeter: 100 W / Woofer: 100 W
Resonance Frequency 49 Hz
Internal Cabinet Volume 9,5 liters
Crossover Frequencies 2200 Hz
Crossover Slope 24 dB/oct
Tweeter Esotec 28 mm soft dome, rear chamber, Magnetic fluid. 4 mm die-cast alu front,
Woofer 17 cm, 75 mm pure alu wire voice coil, One piece molded polypropylene cone

It seems the tweeter on the newer one is 50W compared to 100W on the older model. I also want to know what the Resonance & Crossover Frequency determine. Since the older one's have a crossover frequency of 2200 Hz compared to 1500 Hz on the newer one. Is it better to have a lower crossover & resonance frequency on the monitors?

The point of this thread is to ask whether i should sell my older model & get the newer one's or not. Since they're cheaper it wouldn't cost me much to get the newer model & it sure looks sexier than the older one too!

Thanks for the advice!
I haven't heard the new MKII. I love my BM6A. It looks like the modded the box for better acoustics. I DO want to hear the new one with the 8 inch driver.
Old 3rd March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hello form a fellow Swiss guy

from my experience with Dynaudio they couldn't improve after the BM6A - they claimed the Air series to be better - defenitely not when I heard em - I was really dissappointed. If you're happy with the BM6A - keep em if not - make a shoot out with interesting speakers.

Jo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the replies guys!

I am VERY happy with my monitors but you know how it is when something new comes out, you always wanna get it!

@ Studjo

Why were you disappointed with the Air series? I guess the reason they made the BM6A a 150 euros more expensive than the MKII proves that they're better quality..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think the cheaper prices says a lot about the quality - sorry.
The Airs seemed to have a high end texture I absolutely hated - I'm a bit special regarding the high end I fear. The midrange was quirky too IIRC - it's a looong time ago heh

Best thing listen for yourself - perhaps you love the air and do tremendous work with em. They were just not for me - like Adams (to name another example)

Jo
Old 8th April 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
anyone heard them yet?

i'm thinking of buying a sub for my adam a7, whose price with the monitors added almost equals to the price for the pair of BM6A mkII. (i'll try to make a side by side comparison soon.)

where's the catch with the lower price...? ;]
Old 20th June 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm about to sell my KRK V6II's for a pair of BM6A's....or the newer mkII's?
Glad I saw this thread, thought I would revive to see if anyone can chime in on the newer ones, go for it or get the originals?

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why fix it if it ain't broke?

To for their size the BM6a's are real hard to beat. Add a Dynaudio Sub and you got a neat system. Rather than "upgrade" spend the dollars on acoustic treatment or a decent pre or mic....
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
also curious to hear those new 8" dyn's.

using bm6a (first gen) atm and thinking of either getting a sub, or some 8" speaker.
Old 21st June 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapmastering View Post
also curious to hear those new 8" dyn's.

using bm6a (first gen) atm and thinking of either getting a sub, or some 8" speaker.
Get the sub.... you won't be sorry.
Later you can get the 8inches if you want.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Can anyone confirm what was wrong with the known tweeter cutoff problem in the bm6a? How did you fix it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movendi View Post
Can anyone confirm what was wrong with the known tweeter cutoff problem in the bm6a? How did you fix it?
?? no problems here!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movendi View Post

The tweeter cut out in one of my BM6A's. I took the speaker apart, put it back together again and it worked. I think it might have been a loose connection where the speaker plugs into the circuit board. I haven't had any trouble since. I didn't realise it was a common fault
Old 23rd June 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Tweeter problems-yes!

My BM6a's do have the tweeter problem, there is a post on here discussing it.
High goes away on my BM6A (have rme ff 400)
Bumping the volume up seems to fix it until the next time.

It's unfortunate the Dynaudio hasn't fessed up to the problem or offered any solutions.

I love the sound of the original 6a's, but the tweeter cutting out or not working on power-up is a pain.

MR
Old 18th October 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
bm6a tweeter problem...

I have just experienced the same problem with one of a pair of BM6A mkII s. Have had them for 3 days and have been 'breaking in' gently!!!!

The 'cranking up the volume for a while' technique worked for me too! Both worried and relieved that I am not alone.....

Will be contacting my supplier first thing monday, (why do things like this only happen on a saturday?).......Wondering whether or not to ditch the dynaudios altogether and go for something else given the above responses...Shame, they do sound great....!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have the original BM6a and the tweeter thing happens VERY occasionally (like weeks or months between) here. But itΒ΄s silly. Just balst it and hey are fine again.

I needed a bit more oomph so I got some Active Tannoys (AMS8 I think) and I am fine with using the BM6a for worinking and just for deep bass blasts, I go for the Tannoys. Also, if I get it sounding good on both, it is good.
So, maybe get a second set for deep bass and keep what you own and like.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I guess that this explains why they're cheaper?! Seriously though, the amp has less power, and Dynaudio may be using inferior quality components. That being said, specs have very little to do with how a monitor performs in your studio and how much you like what you're hearing.
I owned the BM6A for a couple years before upgrading. Which cost me more than double the price. That alone speaks volumes about the quality and bang for the buck. I still think they are the best under $4000 monitors available.
Old 19th October 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don you lucky guy - my upgrade was even more expensive heh
I totally agree: those BM6A are the best speakers under 4000$ IMO

Jo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I went with the K&H 0300's and loving it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The mk2 uses a different amplifier design.

I havent heard the mk1 but I was very impressed with Mk2 compered to my Maudio BX8

Im trying to sell my bx8 before buying the Mk2s,
Any one from israel interested?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been on the fence for many years on selling my KRK V6II's for some Dynaudio BM6A. I heard the latter (before I got the V6 and before there were the MKII's) a few years ago and was floored, but I couldn't afford the $1600 price tag. While I love my KRK's, every time I read glowing reviews about the Dyns I wonder how different things would be, as I could never heard the comparison side by side. Of course, why fix something that ain't broke, but still, this is Gearslutz after all, might head over the the store next week with a few of my mixes and reference cd's and give the Dyns another listen.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"why fix something that ain't broke"

I imagine this caused them to rise profit.

Saving 10$ in parts and manufacturing on ONE monitor is 20$ for a pair.
the company sells X pairs a year and you can see where this is going...

Cut enough corners where possible and eventualy the CEO gets a BMW heh
Old 12th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think this deserves a bumpity bump from the past.

2011 now, any other gearslutz users using the BM6A MK2?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is curious how people gets surprised when a price gets lower and doubt about the quality for this reason..."They" certainly got it, they made us think that the most expensive is always better.
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
heard both extensively, mkI is in a different class, forget the MKII even the BM5 MKII sounds better (had them side to side) something about the volume of cab and bass tuning not right on 6 MKII
Old 13th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahlad View Post
heard both extensively, mkI is in a different class, forget the MKII even the BM5 MKII sounds better (had them side to side) something about the volume of cab and bass tuning not right on 6 MKII
Could you explain exactly what it is you don't like about the MK2 compared to the MK1?.

In the BM6A MK2, they tuned the bass resonant frequency to below the woofer output, I guess to ensure that it doesn't colour the bass response to be more accurate, could it be that people just prefer a more hyped bass sound of the MK1?. Or could it be that the MK2 does reveal a bit more detail and thus some flaws in music that the MK1 smoothed over?. Or perhaps the MK1 really is a far superior bit of engineering with those MOSFET amps (less efficient, but possibly lower distortion?)

My local-ish dealer is getting some Focals in next week and I'll be able to audition the Solo 6 Be alongside the BM6A MK2 then. I predict one of 2 things, I'll either be wowed by the extra detail and top end of the Focals, or I'll find them too bright/upfront for my tastes being a lover of the Dyns non-fatiguin soft-dome tweeter sound....
Old 18th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Actually the MKI s have a lot less bass, but it seems to sound deeper down, not very loud though... I know the tech specs say otherwise but just listen to them. basically if the bass has punch on them it will sound great on systems with strong bass response

dont know what went wrong with the MKII design, but something definitely went wrong. They are cheaper, and sound it too, alas
Old 22nd May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Out of interest did you listen to the MK2 version in the same room?
Old 23rd May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I went through the same issue of buying the Dynaudio BM6A or MkII. I ended up going with the older versions. I read the BM6A has a higher quality amp which keeps the low end tighter and seeing that many big dance producers have used them I thought if I can't do a mix on them its because of me not the speakers!

PS I am so happy with my Dynaudio I'm going to name my first kid BM6A!
Old 15th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Where is a good place to buy the 6As (mk1)?

Thanks
πŸ“ Reply