The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha vss30 casio sk-1 Anything new thats as fun?!!
Old 30th October 2016
  #1
Yamaha vss30 casio sk-1 Anything new thats as fun?!!

Hey, So I used to make for fun loads of sample based music using a yamaha vss 30 back in the day and it was so easy to use! I'd get what I wanted to sample or even catch live radio, press the button and there it was to be played back and overdubbed or manipulated as much as it needed to be,immediate usable filters. great sounding lofi loops achieved in seconds!
SO here I am years later looking at producing a some music wanting the same sort of thing, after tons of research I was looking at a yamaha djx, yes they are old school still but thought the size and more recording time ect would give me that slight better edge,flexibilty and sound.
Only to get it and realise its a massive mess about having to use a really dated OS to get the simplest loop. lots of annoying digital menus and no reverse!?!
Apart from going back to what is effectively a toy with the vss, is there anything that can sample reverse ect on a keyboard in seconds that doesn't mean paying silly amounts for these 'vintage' toys . I just saw a vss30 for 140 pounds, get stuffed!

thanks, any help would be great
Old 2nd November 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Subverter's Avatar
 

Akai S-20 had a button on the front for instant reverse playing of samples, not sure what they go for though.
Roland SP-202/303/404, korg electribe sampler or microsampler, there's plenty worth checking out. You could probably pick up a first gen electribe or SP for not too much money.
Old 5th December 2016
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
Akai S-20 had a button on the front for instant reverse playing of samples, not sure what they go for though.
Roland SP-202/303/404, korg electribe sampler or microsampler, there's plenty worth checking out. You could probably pick up a first gen electribe or SP for not too much money.
Thanks for that to be honest I sold the DJX and re bought a vss30, these thing s are just great, 2 seconds is so limited but with the immediate u turn feature you can create some really great loops in seconds
Old 8th December 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Subverter's Avatar
 

I have a circuit bent VSS30, can be quite fun.
Old 10th May 2017
  #5
I have been wondering the same thing! Here are additional options.

Anything else out there worth seeking?

DigDugDiy LoFi Dreams


Bastl MicroGranny


Delaydelus
Old 11th May 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

I had an SK-1 when I was a kid.
Old 25th March 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
mig27's Avatar
Fun thread!

Let me revive it by suggesting this guy here:
Montreal Assembly - Count to Five

Old 25th March 2019
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Get a VSS 200 does all the sample mangling the VSS 30 does but they go for much less - I love mine.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
midicontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezb1 View Post
Get a VSS 200 does all the sample mangling the VSS 30 does but they go for much less - I love mine.
How's the sound quality compared ? VSS30 & SK1 sound quite dull in a set.
I have both and like them, but the Casio SK1 has that built in power off after a few minutes (which i don't want to try to solve even with the circuit plans). I would really enjoy a keyboard sampler with instant mic recording and time-stretched mapping (slower in the low pitches and faster in the high) like those toys are capable to, only improvement i need is the sound quality. I definitely need a keyboard and the possibility to trigger manually any note. That on-the-fly no computer needed is exactly my cup. Does there exist such a device ? Has the VSS200 a much better sound quality ?

Or, since i have a midi keyboard, maybe a device i could trigger from the keyboard via midi ? Is there something that can record with a mike and map instantly a voice/phrase with good sound ? I bet there are a thousand, but on the smaller/cheaper side ?
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midicontrol View Post
How's the sound quality compared ? VSS30 & SK1 sound quite dull in a set.
I have both and like them, but the Casio SK1 has that built in power off after a few minutes (which i don't want to try to solve even with the circuit plans). I would really enjoy a keyboard sampler with instant mic recording and time-stretched mapping (slower in the low pitches and faster in the high) like those toys are capable to, only improvement i need is the sound quality. I definitely need a keyboard and the possibility to trigger manually any note. That on-the-fly no computer needed is exactly my cup. Does there exist such a device ? Has the VSS200 a much better sound quality ?

Or, since i have a midi keyboard, maybe a device i could trigger from the keyboard via midi ? Is there something that can record with a mike and map instantly a voice/phrase with good sound ? I bet there are a thousand, but on the smaller/cheaper side ?
You can find various old pro samplers for relatively cheap, especially Ensoniq EPS or EPS16, sometimes ASR10 (personally speaking I’ve never paid over $200 for an ASR). I find them very immediate to use, and even the EPS sounds pretty decent. Permanently plug in a mic and or mixer and learn a few shortcuts and there ya go. Having built in sequencers makes this a pretty good no brainer if you aren’t doing computers. An MPC would probably suffice as well.

Or an older iPad and any number of sampling apps would do the trick.

Newer toy format stuff, there was the Korg Microsampler. Also I think some of the newer casio stuff can sample.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
midicontrol's Avatar
 

those options are quite overkill for the things i do, and the usual price is three times higher than what you paid for it, EPS the same. I think a little box with midi in and mic in/line in would be enough.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midicontrol View Post
How's the sound quality compared ? VSS30 & SK1 sound quite dull in a set.
I have both and like them, but the Casio SK1 has that built in power off after a few minutes (which i don't want to try to solve even with the circuit plans). I would really enjoy a keyboard sampler with instant mic recording and time-stretched mapping (slower in the low pitches and faster in the high) like those toys are capable to, only improvement i need is the sound quality. I definitely need a keyboard and the possibility to trigger manually any note. That on-the-fly no computer needed is exactly my cup. Does there exist such a device ? Has the VSS200 a much better sound quality ?

Or, since i have a midi keyboard, maybe a device i could trigger from the keyboard via midi ? Is there something that can record with a mike and map instantly a voice/phrase with good sound ? I bet there are a thousand, but on the smaller/cheaper side ?
They're all 8 bit so low res - never used mine live just a studio toy.
Old 6 days ago
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by midicontrol View Post
How's the sound quality compared ? VSS30 & SK1 sound quite dull in a set.
I have both and like them, but the Casio SK1 has that built in power off after a few minutes (which i don't want to try to solve even with the circuit plans). I would really enjoy a keyboard sampler with instant mic recording and time-stretched mapping (slower in the low pitches and faster in the high) like those toys are capable to, only improvement i need is the sound quality. I definitely need a keyboard and the possibility to trigger manually any note. That on-the-fly no computer needed is exactly my cup. Does there exist such a device ? Has the VSS200 a much better sound quality ?

Or, since i have a midi keyboard, maybe a device i could trigger from the keyboard via midi ? Is there something that can record with a mike and map instantly a voice/phrase with good sound ? I bet there are a thousand, but on the smaller/cheaper side ?
The Casio SK-5 has much better sound than the SK-1. It also saves / retains samples, unlike any keyboard in the VSS series.

The VSS-200 and VSS-30 sound identical.

For a higher quality sampler, the best match for me is a laptop (with Ableton Live) and midi keyboard, especially if you want to use your VSS / SK samples consistently and predictably. You can also layer samples to get the best of lofi and higher fidelity.

I like the Casios and Yamahas because of the sound quality and ease of use. When the sound gets cleaned up, it is less exciting to my ears. Later / slightly higher quality samplers from the 80s and early 90s had antiquated disc drives / GUI's that require a bit more work to get cooking.
Old 6 days ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
midicontrol's Avatar
 

ok ! Well, i just recorded the organ from SK-1 and vocal sample over my newest and darkest track and it sounds really like conspiracy. I like it. Wouldn't fit into any genre though.
Old 6 days ago
  #15
Gear Addict
 

TBH I feel like the Boss SP-303 falls into this category at this point (and the SP-202 DEFINITELY does).

I've never messed with a Yamaha SU-10 myself but I used to have a roommate that owned one and it definitely belongs in this thread based on what I saw and heard. Not much newer than the SK-1 though.
Old 6 days ago
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOQuantity View Post
TBH I feel like the Boss SP-303 falls into this category at this point (and the SP-202 DEFINITELY does).

I've never messed with a Yamaha SU-10 myself but I used to have a roommate that owned one and it definitely belongs in this thread based on what I saw and heard. Not much newer than the SK-1 though.
The Yamaha SU-10 is cool. Pocket sized and grubby! The Zoom ST-224 and the Casio RZ-1 are also great for drums. The Yamaha and Casio keyboards might be quicker and easier than any of those, although they are all pretty user friendly.
Old 6 days ago
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by midicontrol View Post
ok ! Well, i just recorded the organ from SK-1 and vocal sample over my newest and darkest track and it sounds really like conspiracy. I like it. Wouldn't fit into any genre though.
The SK-1 is definitely the grubbiest sounding of the lot, but you can definitely get fab sounds out of it! I dig em all.

Last edited by baskervils; 6 days ago at 01:48 PM..
Old 6 days ago
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Someone gave me a Yamaha SU-10 back in the day (before i had internet access to download the manual) and I couldn't work it so I binned it - still kick myself for not holding on to it.
Old 6 days ago
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
I have been wondering the same thing! Here are additional options.

Anything else out there worth seeking?

DigDugDiy LoFi Dreams

Bastl MicroGranny

Delaydelus
BTW, I had / tried all of these, but I find myself returning to the VSS and SK keyboards simply because they are quick and easy.

My other favorite is the Crudman cassette mellotron, which has a nice gooey character of its own. Running VSS samples through this thing sound great.

Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump