The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Klark Tekniks 1176 Digital Converters
Old 25th October 2016
Gear Addict

Klark Tekniks 1176

Last edited by SeanBlack; 25th October 2016 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Old 25th October 2016
Gear Maniac

its actually 90 cents more than the wa76 in US dollars. wonder how they will compare sound-wise.
Old 25th October 2016
Gear Addict

Was thinking WA76 was 6 something. Time will tell.
Old 25th October 2016
The release time on the D and E revisions of the original Urei 1176 could be adjusted from 50ms to 1s. The WA76 duplicates this performance.

The Klark Teknik's release time is adjustable from 60ms to 700ms.

I haven't personally heard the KT, it may sound great - but it doesn't duplicate the performance of an original 1176. On paper, at least.

Last edited by MaoZhengfu; 25th October 2016 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: grammatical error
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear

Behringer (music-group) now owns Klark Teknik. I'll leave it at that.
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
So, what should this tell us ? IMO nothing about the quality.
I imagine this are now subsidiary firms with their own developpers.

And by the way, not all Behringer stuff is crap at all. I purchased a Behringer V-Verb on ebay 1 year ago and it tops all my plugin reverbs.

It is said, there are the algorythms from Lexicon and T.C. inside. It reminds me of a T.C hardware reverb I had on stage for a few years.

So, sometimes it is good to give a chance...
Old 28th October 2016
Quote:
I never had a problem with Behringer.
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear
No no no no no, this brand has lost all the credibility to me.
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
No no no no no, this brand has lost all the credibility to me.
Why are you so occupied with brand? It has nothing to do with sound.
Old 29th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramm Darkened View Post
I never had a problem with Behringer.
Other than having a couple units I didnt care for and some that were ok, I never understood the bashing either. This year I read an old article about the B being sued and losing for gear skulduggery.... I think that set off the groundwork for bad vibe posts. It was in a German court or something, I dont know the details but the Aphex and Mackie and few others sued Behringer for copying their work. Maybe someone can add better details.

Lately its been odd everyone copies 1176 and LA2A's but that's accepted as ok, and no one's bashing these copy's? so...

Is it a time frame on the copyright that was disputed? Once its a certain age can anyone copy it and build a clone?
Old 29th October 2016
Lives for gear

Love my WA76 to pieces every time I use it, haven't heard the Klark/Behringer. But it doesn't have a WALL WART!!!
Old 30th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEF View Post

Lately its been odd everyone copies 1176 and LA2A's but that's accepted as ok, and no one's bashing these copy's? so...
This
Old 30th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Other than having a couple units I didnt care for and some that were ok, I never understood the bashing either. This year I read an old article about the B being sued and losing for gear skulduggery.... I think that set off the groundwork for bad vibe posts. It was in a German court or something, I dont know the details but the Aphex and Mackie and few others sued Behringer for copying their work. Maybe someone can add better details.

Is it a time frame on the copyright that was disputed? Once its a certain age can anyone copy it and build a clone?
Exactly, about Warm Audio nobody is whining and also not about all the 1176, LA2A, Pultec plug-in emulations. If Slate releases a new emulation, it is always big party here on GS. (UAD and Waves might have some officical deals).
Old 31st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

They're different situations, a least from a legal perspective.

The LA2A was designed in the early to mid 1960s by Teletronix, the 1176 by Urei in the late 1960s. Neither product is still under any patents or other restrictions, and neither company is still in business (Universal Audio bought the rights to their names, but isn't the same company).

Behringer, on the other hand, copies designs still in production by the companies that originally designed them, and the circuits may still be under protection.
Old 31st October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
They're different situations, a least from a legal perspective.

The LA2A was designed in the early to mid 1960s by Teletronix, the 1176 by Urei in the late 1960s. Neither product is still under any patents or other restrictions, and neither company is still in business (Universal Audio bought the rights to their names, but isn't the same company).

Behringer, on the other hand, copies designs still in production by the companies that originally designed them, and the circuits may still be under protection.
Example?
Old 1st November 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Example?
Mackie took Behringer to court for copying their mixer circuits but they eventually reached a private settlement where Mackie were paid a large cash sum.
Old 1st November 2016
Here for the gear

Ive been happy enough with the behringer gear Ive bought over the years ,this includes Mx602 mixer which survived having a pint of Guinness poured onto it, 2 pairs of 2031 truth monitors(although one speaker did develop a small fault in the voltage regulator), an ADA8000 ,which I removed the mic amps from ,and wired directly into the A/D chips, a Rev2496 which is a great fx unit for the money, an SRC2496 which has been powered up permanently for several years and half a dozen DI-100's (these run with a lot more headroom when powered from 48v phantom vs 9volt cell). Ive also converted a B-2 pro into a tube mic,using a triode connected EF86 and a Sowter transformer. It might not be the most prestigious brand out there ,but most of their stuff does exactly what it says on the tin.
Old 1st November 2016
Here for the gear

I wouldn't mind a look under the hood of the new Klark Teknik 76 copy. Im guessing its all surface mount. The Warm Audio 76 uses old fashioned through hole components,
so might work out more modable/serviceable . Id be interested if anyone gets a chance to do a shoot out side by side with these two units.
Old 1st November 2016
Gear Guru

hey maybe it'll actually sound good.
The Warm unit sounds nothing like my old D.
Old 1st November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Example?
Behringer has been sued by at least the following manufacturers (there may be more):
  • Mackie - Mackie lost because circuit schematics are not covered under copyright law.
  • Aphex - Won 690,000 DM
  • BBE - (I can't find any settlement info)
  • dbx - (I can't find any settlement info)
  • Drawmer - (I can't find any settlement info)
  • BOSS/Roland - Behringer ended up changing their pedal designs.
  • Peavey - (I can't find any settlement info)
Old 1st November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Love my WA76 to pieces every time I use it, haven't heard the Klark/Behringer. But it doesn't have a WALL WART!!!
I'm with you on this. I really dislike wall warts on gear, especially large keyboards. They always seem so fragile compared to the gear they power.

Although a designer told me once that it can be expensive and difficult to get an internal power supply approved and so sometimes lower budget gear manufacturers might not have the funds or can't wait or jump through the hoops to get an internal power supply approved, and just go with a wall wart, which is an external power supply that's already been approved. It's kind of like just sub-contracting the power supply to another company and they already dealt with getting their power supply approved.

That being said, neither internal or external power supplies are a sign of (or indication of lack of) quality as there's examples of gear with internal supplies that aren't designed fantastic and suffer things like ripples or oscillations that leak into the audio.

But still, knowing this, I do tend to lean towards gear that use IEC cables rather than Wall Warts out of a bias that I can't shake. It's hard for me to think of a big piece of rack gear being powered by a hair-thin wire leading to a clunky wall wart.
Old 1st November 2016
Gear Maniac

both of my wa76 are line-lump instead of wall-wart. did this change at some point?
Old 1st November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post

thats the first thing i noticed!
Old 1st November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mack View Post
both of my wa76 are line-lump instead of wall-wart. did this change at some point?
Same difference. A universal IEC cable is easier to replace, or custom order lengths to clear rack clutter!
Old 2nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Old 2nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Behringer owns not only KT but TC and LabGruppen. As a dealer I have one on order...will give it to a client with a couple of blackface 1176's and see what he says.
Purchasing power and the economy of scale not such a bad thing. The first of the TC Clarity M arrived yesterday, as a 5.1 standalone display it's about $2000 less than anything else.
Clarity M | TC Electronic
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
This remark is stuck in the past... Clearly you've never updated your setup since the 90's, time's change mate, think you should catch up a bit.
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Did anyone use these yet? whats the trafos on the input output?
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

Just found an interview (interview is in english):

https://www.gearnews.de/klark-teknik...deraten-preis/

copied & pasted:

"Interview mit Klar Teknik

Kollege Angus vom britischen Gearnews hatte die Chance mit Klar Teknik zu reden. Ich kopiere das Interview ungekürzt hier rein. Es wurde auch noch mehr angekündigt.

Q: What were the engineering challenges in reproducing perhaps the most famous compressor in the history of audio production?

“Creating a unit that will stand the test of time and honor the legacy of the 1176 style compressor/limiter and getting the transformers correct and the overall layout to work with modern improved manufacturing standards. In our opinion, our 1176-KT is actually a better approach to this circuit given the current manufacturing capabilities at MUSIC City’s new 3 million square foot factory facility.”

Q: To what extent was it your aim to offer the 1176-KT at an affordable price point?

“Very much so. We wanted to bring this fabulous tool to a wide range of engineers making 1176 style analog compression available for any budget. As large format studios are a luxury and the masses record at home in project studios, now is the time to offer this indispensable tool to everyone.”

Q: Was the design and manufacture carried out by Klark Teknik? Or was it mainly designed by Behringer engineers and then badged as a Klark Teknik product?

“At MUSIC we have invested in over 400 engineers globally with teams in Los Angeles, Manchester and Kidderminster, UK, Canada and China. The 1176-KT was developed by a dedicated MIDAS and KLARK TEKNIK team.”

Q: The 1176-KT marks a departure for Klark Teknik in that it represents a new category of effects, rather than the many live sound products the company is famous for. Does this mean that the company will add this product segment to its portfolio?

“Yes, recording is a very important vertical at MUSIC. You can look forward to many exciting new products from KLARK TEKNIK.”

Q: Are Klark Teknik planning to release any other effect processors in the future?

“While we cannot discuss products that are unreleased, you will not be disappointed. : ) "
Old 14th November 2016
Lives for gear

Interesting. I have a WA76 that I find great so interested to hear how this sounds and behaves.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search