The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone Remember The DMP3 Preamp By M-Audio?
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolleum View Post
I use the modded DMP3 since I got a pair of Apex 205 with great results. Also the Apex 205 were modified with better transformers and only one mesh. With two Fetheads from Tritone Audio, its a really good combination.
With or without your mods, the DMP doesn’t have adequate gain for passive ribbon mics on many sources. The proof is that after your mods, you report how wonderful it is WHEN USED WITH A FETHEAD. The key element for use with a passive ribbon is the Fethead (or Cloudlifter) providing additional gain. I don’t know why, after warping the thread into being about your DMP mod, you quote my post, which has nothing to do with your mods.
I am not commenting on your mods, which may or may not be amazing. The DMP is a decent and well-built vanilla pre, which I use to balance and amplify tape machine outputs. Leave me out of any mod discussion, please.
Old 12th February 2018
@ Rolleum do you confirm Wima MKS 2 6,8uF is correct?
I do not find them easily.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
@ Rolleum do you confirm Wima MKS 2 6,8uF is correct?
I do not find them easily.

I found some 4,7uF at Banzai, also some 10uF, but the 6,8 arent there any more. Don t know why.

WIMA MKS2 4,7uF, 50V :: MKS2 (5mm) :: WIMA :: Film Foil :: Capacitors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
With or without your mods, the DMP doesn’t have adequate gain for passive ribbon mics on many sources. The proof is that after your mods, you report how wonderful it is WHEN USED WITH A FETHEAD. The key element for use with a passive ribbon is the Fethead (or Cloudlifter) providing additional gain. I don’t know why, after warping the thread into being about your DMP mod, you quote my post, which has nothing to do with your mods.
I am not commenting on your mods, which may or may not be amazing. The DMP is a decent and well-built vanilla pre, which I use to balance and amplify tape machine outputs. Leave me out of any mod discussion, please.

Sorry, but you are wrong, and I tell you why. The DMP3 has got a maximum gain of 66 db with signal to noise ratio of 115dB without any mods (see manual below=. When modded, it will be around 120dB SNR. Plus the 20dB gain from the Fethead, its a really good preamp for ribbon mics. I am using this combination since years with really good results. Why are you writing " Leave me out of any mod discussion" and you still write here ? Funny.... I recorded before with my Neumann KM184 and the modded DMP3, with much more clearness in the bass , mids and highs, then out of the box. That was the idea in the very beginning. I searched the internet, and saw that JJ Audio is doing some mods. I used also some dynamic mics with the DMP3, also without the Fethead. Ribbons I use with fethead since I got some ribbon mics, thats all. If there would not be a benefit before and after, I would not have done 6 modifications on DMP3s. Also the friends were amazed, and they are mostly good musicians with good ears. I just wanted to show you that you are wrong saying that the DMP3 is not a good ribbon preamp. If you can 't stand being quoted or commented, better stay out of some discussion forums.

https://images.thomann.de/pics/atg/a...536_manual.pdf
Old 12th February 2018
I found all the values at mouser, they have different volts models, can you suggest which one or higher the best?
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The DMP3 has got a maximum gain of 66 db Plus the 20dB gain from the Fethead, its a really good preamp for ribbon mics.

Why are you writing " Leave me out of any mod discussion" and you still write here ?

If there would not be a benefit before and after, I would not have done 6 modifications on DMP3s

I just wanted to show you that you are wrong saying that the DMP3 is not a good ribbon preamp.

If you can 't stand being quoted or commented, better stay out of some discussion forums.

https://images..de/pics/atg/atgdata/...536_manual.pdf
1. Your use of the Fethead demonstrates that the DMP3 by itself is not a good ribbon preamp. That’s opposite of what you think you are proving. The DMP is a decent preamp, but it needs additional gain for ribbons. What part of that is wrong?
2. This thread was not about DMP3 mods. You can write about that, but It isn’t the subject of the thread.
3. Doing mods and proving that each mod is beneficial are two different things. Your statement is like saying, “Smoking 20 cigarettes a day shows how good they are for me.” It’s illogical on its face.
4. You seem to WANT very much to say I’m wrong. OK, you’ve said it several times. Feel good about that.
4. Thank you for warning me to stay out of some discussion forums.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

I was always told that the purpose for a DMP3 was to either upgrade a really bad built in preamp, or to use with interfaces (sound cards) of the day that didn't have preamps, or didn't have Phantom Power. I never bought one because I was told that the Yamaha mixer I had would be about the same, which was actually the same price with a lot more preamps. Not sure that this is true or not, but the general consensus back then was it was to bring your setup into the 2000's if it was older, or to just have a preamp, it was never going to upgrade an already usable preamp. Given that interface preamps are pretty decent these days, and this was very clean (if I recall correctly), the only thing it may be is a slightly duller, less full preamp which may be "vintage" to the 2000's specifically.

I know it's probably bad to virtually review something I have never used but I researched this a lot when I started. Back then, there were not many affordable preamps in general, clean or not, that were a legit upgrade from most built in stuff so everyone wanted it to be an upgrade but few felt it really was one. It would be interesting to try one out in 2018, just to see, but I don't think it's going to serve a unique purpose, at least stock.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
I was always told that the purpose for a DMP3 was to either upgrade a really bad built in preamp, or to use with interfaces (sound cards) of the day that didn't have preamps, or didn't have Phantom Power. I never bought one because I was told that the Yamaha mixer I had would be about the same, which was actually the same price with a lot more preamps. Not sure that this is true or not, but the general consensus back then was it was to bring your setup into the 2000's if it was older, or to just have a preamp, it was never going to upgrade an already usable preamp. Given that interface preamps are pretty decent these days, and this was very clean (if I recall correctly), the only thing it may be is a slightly duller, less full preamp which may be "vintage" to the 2000's specifically.

I know it's probably bad to virtually review something I have never used but I researched this a lot when I started. Back then, there were not many affordable preamps in general, clean or not, that were a legit upgrade from most built in stuff so everyone wanted it to be an upgrade but few felt it really was one. It would be interesting to try one out in 2018, just to see, but I don't think it's going to serve a unique purpose, at least stock.
I have owned a DMP3 since about 1999. You are describing quite exactly what I think about this preamp. In 1999 it was better than low priced or mid priced interface preamps. Not by a lot then, and after a few years not at all. It has screwy metering that doesn’t seem to relate to any normal standard. That’s the only negative thing that annoys me about it. It is clean and reliable amplification with phantom power and an OK direct. I don’t regret buying and keeping it, and have always found a use for it. That said, I don’t see the sense of buying one now. It isn’t a transformer or tube pre, so upgrades and parts swapping are more for the fun of it than to end up with a first-in-line killer pre.
Old 14th February 2018
Deleted User
Mine is still a keeper. Use it occasionally as a utility pre when I'm just messing around or need a pre for testing something. Never for anything serious. Funny, but the DMP3 sound is very similar to a very highly regarded high-end "transparent" preamp that in the past has gotten many accolades on this forum. I won't mention the brand because I don't want to embarrass them for selling a $2000+ preamp when the same sound can be had from the DMP3 for less than $100 used.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Mine is still a keeper. Use it occasionally as a utility pre when I'm just messing around or need a pre for testing something. Never for anything serious. Funny, but the DMP3 sound is very similar to a very highly regarded high-end "transparent" preamp that in the past has gotten many accolades on this forum. I won't mention the brand because I don't want to embarrass them for selling a $2000+ preamp when the same sound can be had from the DMP3 for less than $100 used.

I compared the DMP3 out of the box with the Neve 5012 around 10 years ago, as I thought, I need to buy a better preamp. No, it was not necessary, and I saved a lot of money. Also I got experience since 2007 with my Presonus ADL 600, which I bought to enhance my piano recordings. Unfortunately the DMP3 won in this category,as the ADL 600 sounded too slow and muffy, I was really surprised. The ADL 600 is great for Voc / Strings, etc.. Believe it or not, I still use it for piano recordings in combination with a Lake People High End Converters, Neumann KM 184, Apex 205, and a Fireface 400. Perhaps anybody is interested in some audio files. Here are some with Neumann KM184 (FF400 Converters). Its a Yamaha C 7 grand piano.

Dropbox - Annette Xmas 2016 Remaster

PS: For shure, the metering of the DMP3 is not really good, but finally, you see it in the DAW Mixer, and the converter too.
Old 9th April 2018
Here for the gear

can anyone tell me how the devil to get the knobs off so the top can come off?
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHorowitz View Post
can anyone tell me how the devil to get the knobs off so the top can come off?
If they are push-on knobs, I would recommend a small size flat head scredriver to gently and carefully pry them off. Pry a little bit and rotate the knob a bit during the prying until you can easily grab it off with your fingers. Also make sure not to crack the edge of the knob.

I would use a cloth or piece of some material under the screwdriver to prevent scratching up the face of the unit with the screwdriver.

With a little finesse I think they will come off with no harm.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Nut

I still have one of these babies. It always sounded fine to me. A little hissy when dimed, but most preamps are.
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

thanks monkeyxx... there's no setscrew, and the knobs are really stuck; since the pots are soldered to the PCB with right-angle leads, i didn't want to pull so hard that the solder joints would break. what i wondered was whether the darn things are *glued* on. if so, maybe best to use a Dremel to carve away the phenolic knobs; but if the shaft is plastic that would be a tricky job. so i had hoped that someone on this excellent site who had done the deed could share their expertise.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHorowitz View Post
thanks monkeyxx... there's no setscrew, and the knobs are really stuck; since the pots are soldered to the PCB with right-angle leads, i didn't want to pull so hard that the solder joints would break. what i wondered was whether the darn things are *glued* on. if so, maybe best to use a Dremel to carve away the phenolic knobs; but if the shaft is plastic that would be a tricky job. so i had hoped that someone on this excellent site who had done the deed could share their expertise.
That has happened to me exactly one time. Some schmuck sold me an Alesis 3630, I wanted to mod it so I had to pull of the knobs. I ended up ripping the pots into pieces because some brain-genius had glued them on. That was one of the worst mod experiences I have ever had.

Which reminds me that modding equipment is generally a lot less profitable than building something good from scratch. Or doing both in the same swoop. Mods will sometimes pay off, and sometimes not. I guess that's not too bad but it does seem a bit of a gamble.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Addict

The knobs should not be glued, perhaps use a spray to remove them. A bit tricky are the VU Meters, which are fixed in a funny way.
Old 12th June 2018
I've had a DMP3 for about 6 years - never had cause to use it until today - why?

Music is not yet a professional pursuit/vocation, so I fell into the opinion expressed by highly respected reviewers (e.g, on Sound on Sound magazine) that there is not that much difference between preamps.

I have a weekly gig - a church meeting, where I play, sing and also run the PA, and have not been satisfied with the Mackie analog mixer in use at the site which has only 50dB gain, and causes me to run the gain to maximum, when using low output dynamic microphones like the Shure SM58.

I thought - hmmmm the DMP3 has over 60dB of gain, so I may not need to push it to the max, yet have enough gain to amplify SM58's "cleanly with minimal distortion" to at least 50 or 55dB gain.

Tried it out today - recorded two sets of vocal takes, one with the stock preamps of my EMU0404USB interface, and the other with the DMP3.

My conclusion - preamps are not equal. There was a certain improvement in clarity with the DMP3, when compared with the EMU audio interface preamps - better definition, more lifelike, believable. Sounds less like a "recording".

God enabling - the DMP3 should get a lot of use, here, going forward.
Old 20th October 2018
Here for the gear

@ Rolleum I’ve started modding my DMP3 and could really use your help before I brick my unit. I’m having trouble with the PSU mod. You said C29 needs a 220uF cap but then you say C29,30,33,34 need 1000uF caps. Please clarify. I assume C29 needs 1000uF like the rest of the group but which cap needs to change to 220uF?

Also, you didn’t mention this but I see in your picture that some small caps by the outputs were removed (they are numbered C6,7,18,19 on my rev E board). Do I need to remove these too? Thank you!

Jason
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Heath View Post
@ Rolleum I’ve started modding my DMP3 and could really use your help before I brick my unit. I’m having trouble with the PSU mod. You said C29 needs a 220uF cap but then you say C29,30,33,34 need 1000uF caps. Please clarify. I assume C29 needs 1000uF like the rest of the group but which cap needs to change to 220uF?

Also, you didn’t mention this but I see in your picture that some small caps by the outputs were removed (they are numbered C6,7,18,19 on my rev E board). Do I need to remove these too? Thank you!

Jason

Hello Jason,

as I come back tomorrow night from my holidays, I ll be busy the next 4 days, but will help you for shure the end of the coming week with photos and advice. In general you can use for PSU a bit larger dimensioned caps, but sometimes, they dont fit in the holes anymore. I used Panasonic FM for PSU, and WIMA for the audio path.

Best regards,

Dieter
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
1.) You are being disingenuous in my opinion. There are only a handful of pres that are useful by themselves for a typical low output ribbon.

2.) I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread at this point is way more interested in DMP3 mods than any other topic in this thread at this point. I am. I'm certainly not as interested in some pissing match about absolutely nothing.

my two cents.
You need to look up “disingenuous” so that you don’t misuse it again in a future insult post.

It is a sad slow-motion pissing contest when you come back at me October 22 in response to something I posted in February. Did the home revoke your internet privileges for that many months?
I agree that the thread has morphed to mostly a discussion of DMP mods, which is why I have lost interest in it.
“Pissing contest”? Grow up.
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Addict

So here is the mod for the DMP3, which I made 5 times. The folks who are p.off about reading this mod in an article about the legendary DMP3 are pleased to ignore this post to avoid psychological diseases

PSU: C29, 33,34,36 replace with Panasonic FM 1000uF / C32,39 replace with Panasonic FM 220uF. Unfortunately, in my first mods, I took 1500uF, and had some hassle with the leads, wich didn 't fit in the holes anymore. So with 1000uF its plenty sufficient, and it works with the holes, so the contact from every side of the pcb is provided.

Audio path: C20,21,22,8,9,10 replace with Wima MKP4 0,1uF (as they are already foil, this replacement is perhaps not necessary, but I did it anyway to have more color on the board ;-)

bypass the caps C6,7,18,19 when you wont use the instrument inputs, if you do, replace with Wima MKS2 6,8uF (4,7 and 10uF is an option too)

C 16,4 and the other 4 outputcaps (which are cheap electrolytics 10uF) replace with 6,8 Wima MKS2. Sorry that I cant exactly mention the output caps numbers, as the 6,8uFs are so big that I cant see the numbers anymore. I will add a photo.

Important notice: I am not responsible for anything about this mod, and you do it on your own risk. There is no guarantee. Please respect also the polarity of the PSU electrolytic caps
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Addict

Here are the photos from the DMP3 Mod. When the potis are over, its possible to replace with Bourns Rev Logs.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Remember The DMP3 Preamp By M-Audio?-dmp3-audio.jpg   Anyone Remember The DMP3 Preamp By M-Audio?-dmp3-psu.jpg  
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here are the photos from the DMP3 Mod. When the potis are over, its possible to replace with Bourns Rev Logs.
Interesting mods! Have you got a part number (and supplier?) for the 5k rev log pots? One of my pots has some crackles I can't get rid of.

The options I found were these 9mm Alpha ones with the wrong shaft for the knobs: https://www.musikding.de/Alpha-Poten...m-5k-rev-log_1

or these Alpha 16mm ones, which I think might involve cutting away the circuit board to fit them in. Not something I'd want to risk really. https://www.taydaelectronics.com/pot...g-reverse.html
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Interesting mods! Have you got a part number (and supplier?) for the 5k rev log pots? One of my pots has some crackles I can't get rid of.

The options I found were these 9mm Alpha ones with the wrong shaft for the knobs: https://www.musikding.de/Alpha-Poten...m-5k-rev-log_1

or these Alpha 16mm ones, which I think might involve cutting away the circuit board to fit them in. Not something I'd want to risk really. https://www.taydaelectronics.com/pot...g-reverse.html

I used Bournes conductive plastic pots, and hopefully I find my reserve pots. Yes, the pots were one of the weak points of the dmp3. It improves the sound when you use the conductive plastic , but its a bit tricky to replace.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used Bournes conductive plastic pots, and hopefully I find my reserve pots. Yes, the pots were one of the weak points of the dmp3. It improves the sound when you use the conductive plastic , but its a bit tricky to replace.
I can't find any Bourns ones. Looks like the original Alps ones (or fakes!) are available on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829821098.html
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

I had a DMP3 modded and it was very clean and a great value at the time.

I traded it to my friend with a mixer and some other stuff for a Reddi DI he won
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I can't find any Bourns ones. Looks like the original Alps ones (or fakes!) are available on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829821098.html

I found my last poti, the other 2 I made my brother as a present ;-)

Bourns 91A1A 0,5 W 5 K0

The only thing is, that after replacement, you turn the poti in the other direction. It is possible to solder direct on the pcb, but you have to enlarge the wholes in the metal box, and change the connection on the pcb. My friend is a good studio electrican, so he did that job for me.

btw, they are much more expensive than some years ago ! But still really good pots. It enhances also the sound, its more transparent afterwards. If you are a perfectionist, you can order 10 Pots and measure / match two of them to have a good matching.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:

I found my last poti, the other 2 I made my brother as a present ;-)

Bourns 91A1A 0,5 W 5 K0

The only thing is, that after replacement, you turn the poti in the other direction. It is possible to solder direct on the pcb, but you have to enlarge the wholes in the metal box, and change the connection on the pcb. My friend is a good studio electrican, so he did that job for me.

btw, they are much more expensive than some years ago ! But still really good pots. It enhances also the sound, its more transparent afterwards. If you are a perfectionist, you can order 10 Pots and measure / match two of them to have a good matching.
Ah thanks. I might do the capacitor swaps first, see how that goes.
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Addict

You don't need to replace the pots if they are still working properly. As they are cheap pots,they will breake one time, and then, the replacement with the Bourns is just perfect. Let me know in this thread what your experience is after the mod.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search