The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3U Audio Mics For DRUMS?
Old 9th October 2016
Here for the gear
3U Audio Mics For DRUMS?

Hello Low End Theory Junkies.

Re-posting this here as i did not get any response on the 128 page 3U Audio post.

I have been following the thread on 3U Audio mics with interest. With more users out there I am interested in hearing from people that are using the mics to record drums.

I am a drummer with a modest home studio. I most often record drums and percussion but also record a variety of sources - namely male/female vocals, electric/acoustic guitar and bass.

As drums are my instrument and I am passionate about achieving good drum sounds, I am interested in a pair of 3U Audio multi-pattern condensers that would be the best suited for drum overheads (supported by close mics), 2 to 4 drum mic setups (Recorderman, Glyn Johns etc.) and room duties. I also want something that is versatile enough to cover vocals and instruments (generally guitars).

Based on my needs, what models in the Warbler and GZ series do you feel would be best for my application?

Thanks

Rich
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlavin View Post
Hello Low End Theory Junkies.

Re-posting this here as i did not get any response on the 128 page 3U Audio post.

I have been following the thread on 3U Audio mics with interest. With more users out there I am interested in hearing from people that are using the mics to record drums.

I am a drummer with a modest home studio. I most often record drums and percussion but also record a variety of sources - namely male/female vocals, electric/acoustic guitar and bass.

As drums are my instrument and I am passionate about achieving good drum sounds, I am interested in a pair of 3U Audio multi-pattern condensers that would be the best suited for drum overheads (supported by close mics), 2 to 4 drum mic setups (Recorderman, Glyn Johns etc.) and room duties. I also want something that is versatile enough to cover vocals and instruments (generally guitars).

Based on my needs, what models in the Warbler and GZ series do you feel would be best for my application?

Thanks

Rich
I've got a pair of MKID anda pair of GZ67FET and I think both are excellent for drum duties.

If you want less mid forward sonics and some more top end the MKIVD or GZ251FET would be good options.

You can hear a lot of 3U drum samples on my Soundcloud page.

https://m.soundcloud.com/fir_out
Old 9th October 2016
Here for the gear
i use the Warbler I as a mono whole kit mic, and for lead vocals a whole whole lot. Definitely one of the great values out there.
I'm just waiting on those SDCs now for OHs...
Old 9th October 2016
I have used both the CM1 teal and CM1 black pairs to success on overheads.
Old 11th October 2016
Here for the gear
Thank you everybody for the replies. And special thanks to Ragan for the sound samples. I have listened to all of them and I think the Warbler MK1D or G67FET both sound very good. Actually all of the 3U Mics across the clips sound great - just different flavors that would each suit a specific application well.

The MK1 seems to have a little more low-mid which can work well when doing minimal mic setups for drums to capture the whole kit. The GZ67 seems to have a little more sizzle and clarity in the upper end which can be good when capturing cymbals and supporting with additional direct mics. Either sound well suited for drums.

I was amazed with how the MK1 hung in there through many of the samples on a variety of vocal and guitar duties. The Warblers seem to be in the sweet spot from a price/performance standpoint.

Also very interested to hear the forthcoming SDC's.
Old 11th October 2016
Here for the gear
Nice Work Ragan!

And almost forgot to mention - Great guitar and vocal work Ragan! I assume that is you in the clips correct?

Thanks again.

Rich
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear
For drum mic's on the cheap,
3U is about as good as it gets for LDC, Step up, Advanced Audio CM414.
for SDC, Line Audio CM3 and CM1
Dynamics, ye old SM57, and if you want a step up, e906
Ribbons, TNC AM1 and AM3. Step up, Latvian RM-5
Kick B52 for rock, ATM25 for non pre-eq kick that's usable in more positions.
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlavin View Post
And almost forgot to mention - Great guitar and vocal work Ragan! I assume that is you in the clips correct?

Thanks again.

Rich
Oh, well thank you. Yeah, it's me. I'm a one man operation here.

I think you're right with your assessment. The MKI/D has a little more low mid emphasis, the GZ67Fet has a little more air. The transients are a little different too with the GZ67Fet being a little more refined and the MKI/D having more of that 'held in place' thing that U87s do so well.

Either of them is good for drums and lots of other duties. There isn't a bigger bang for your buck in mics at the moment, by a good margin. Gotta go up 2 or 3 times the cost to get the 3U quality level in a typical retail mic.

And I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with the poster who considers anything Advanced Audio is doing a "step up". Dave (Advanced Audio) spammed the huge 3U thread pretty hard and it didn't come out well for him and his brand. You can read through it if such things interest you.
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Oh, well thank you. Yeah, it's me. I'm a one man operation here.

I think you're right with your assessment. The MKI/D has a little more low mid emphasis, the GZ67Fet has a little more air. The transients are a little different too with the GZ67Fet being a little more refined and the MKI/D having more of that 'held in place' thing that U87s do so well.

Either of them is good for drums and lots of other duties. There isn't a bigger bang for your buck in mics at the moment, by a good margin. Gotta go up 2 or 3 times the cost to get the 3U quality level in a typical retail mic.

And I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with the poster who considers anything Advanced Audio is doing a "step up". Dave (Advanced Audio) spammed the huge 3U thread pretty hard and it didn't come out well for him and his brand. You can read through it if such things interest you.
Thanks for all the clips, dude. Is your MKIV the “D” version or 3 voice version?
It’s not quite a peluso p12, but it ain’t far for a fet mic under $300.

How far was you mono OH away from the kit on those SoundCloud clips?
I’ve been thinking about a P12 for mono OH, but the MKIV might do it
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Thanks for all the clips, dude. Is your MKIV the “D” version or 3 voice version?
It’s not quite a peluso p12, but it ain’t far for a fet mic under $300.

How far was you mono OH away from the kit on those SoundCloud clips?
I’ve been thinking about a P12 for mono OH, but the MKIV might do it
You bet.

That was a MKIV, not a MKIVD, thought just to be clear, the cardioid and the multipattern “D” versions both have the 3 voicings.

I’d say the OH was about 4’ above the snare head? There are pics accompanying all the clips on my Soundcloud so you can see where the mic was.
Old 4th August 2020
What’s your favorite 3 U LDC mic for overheads?
📝 Reply