The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alctron factory now selling oem/generic PRE 573'S
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelthemusician View Post
Yeah, there is a gut shot of the EQ earlier in the thread from the Alctron version. I know I have ones from the preamp too somewhere. I’ll try to track those down later.
Thanks. So the N-Sonic ones are the same on the inside? Looks like the EQ has an output transformer, but no input transformer. Is that right?
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Been curious about Alctron products. I do have their lunchbox. I'm curious if these are used for mastering as well and must I have a pair for such purpose to be "stereo"? Does the CP52A compressor not come with a limiter?

I think ART or DBX products could be a step up from Alctron?
Old 22nd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRoomStudios View Post
Thanks. So the N-Sonic ones are the same on the inside? Looks like the EQ has an output transformer, but no input transformer. Is that right?
They are the same internally, yes. I believe you are right about the transformers as well because I think those two yellow things in the photo are the inductors.
Old 22nd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slutbox View Post
Been curious about Alctron products. I do have their lunchbox. I'm curious if these are used for mastering as well and must I have a pair for such purpose to be "stereo"? Does the CP52A compressor not come with a limiter?

I think ART or DBX products could be a step up from Alctron?
I think we talked on Ebay. The CP52a does not have a limiter. You do need two to be stereo since these and almost all single-slot 500 series processors are mono. Not sure what you meant by "stereo" in quotes though.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on any Art products since I've never used them. I haven't used DBX's 560 either, but the DBX 160 that it's based off is a studio classic. I don't think two can be linked for stereo operation though, and if you run them in dual mono your center might not always stay centered.
Old 23rd February 2019
Gear Maniac

Are these types of Eq and compressor more for tracking/mixing than mastering then or what? Since they're mono.

Quote:
I think we talked on Ebay. The CP52a does not have a limiter. You do need two to be stereo since these and almost all single-slot 500 series processors are mono. Not sure what you meant by "stereo" in quotes though.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on any Art products since I've never used them. I haven't used DBX's 560 either, but the DBX 160 that it's based off is a studio classic. I don't think two can be linked for stereo operation though, and if you run them in dual mono your center might not always stay centered.
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear
Does Alctron sell their own lunch-boxes or are there cheap ones that are pretty good?
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slutbox View Post
Are these types of Eq and compressor more for tracking/mixing than mastering then or what? Since they're mono.
Typically yes, but there is no reason they couldn't be used for mastering if you got stereo pairs. The fact that two CP52as can be stereo linked I'm sure makes a difference.
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
Does Alctron sell their own lunch-boxes or are there cheap ones that are pretty good?
Alctron has a few racks now, but some of them are brand new models that you can't get quite yet. I currently am selling the Rack3 horizontal 3-space rack, and I also have a couple of their new single-space racks for sale, the S1. New versions the S3 V2 and the S8 are currently being manufactured.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No exp with the alctron racks but I have the 6 space Midas rack ($249) and have zero complaints. They also make a 10 space for $50 more but I wanted some self control in terms of filling it.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Alctron has a few racks now, but some of them are brand new models that you can't get quite yet. I currently am selling the Rack3 horizontal 3-space rack, and I also have a couple of their new single-space racks for sale, the S1. New versions the S3 V2 and the S8 are currently being manufactured.
Do you have a store or something?
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have a store or something?
If you look up alctron on reverb or eBay you’ll find his store, I bought the preamps and compressors from Noel on reverb and they arrived really quickly with no hassle. I really enjoy using them, they all sound good.
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

I am putting together a 10-slot 500 series rack of EQ's. Gonna pick up an N73EQ on later today.

Last edited by OceanMan; 10th March 2019 at 01:22 PM..
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

These EQ's are solid! Diggin' 'em.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

FWIW. Here is an inside pic of a N-Sonic N73PRE

Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
If you look up alctron on reverb or eBay you’ll find his store, I bought the preamps and compressors from Noel on reverb and they arrived really quickly with no hassle. I really enjoy using them, they all sound good.
Noel’s store on Reverb is Astound Sound... can’t just do an “alctron” search anymore as there’s a Chinese storefront on Reverb now, too
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Noel’s store on Reverb is Astound Sound... can’t just do an “alctron” search anymore as there’s a Chinese storefront on Reverb now, too
Cool, thanks, I didn't know that.
Old 8th May 2019
Here for the gear

How long have the N-Sonics been on the market? I'd love to trust them. Anyone else tried?
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

+1
Anyone using them?
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post
+1
Anyone using them?
I have the ones labeled alctron, before Noel changed the color. I like them a lot.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
I have the ones labeled alctron, before Noel changed the color. I like them a lot.
So "n-Sonic" is Noel's rebranding of Alctron?

sorry if I´m assuming incorrectly, but that´s what I thought I read between the lines from these last 2 pages of posts...
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosapien View Post
So "n-Sonic" is Noel's rebranding of Alctron?

sorry if I´m assuming incorrectly, but that´s what I thought I read between the lines from these last 2 pages of posts...
As Ed McMahon used to say - you are correct sir!
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Nut

great,thanks for clarifying.

I must say, that makes the whole offering immediately more interesting to me, especially since nobody here has had any overly negative experiences with the Alctron/n-Sonic build quality and/or sound...
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosapien View Post
great,thanks for clarifying.

I must say, that makes the whole offering immediately more interesting to me, especially since nobody here has had any overly negative experiences with the Alctron/n-Sonic build quality and/or sound...
Definitely not, they are very solidly built and I love the sound.
Old 8th May 2019
Here for the gear

Anyone know if there's an affordable enclosure available? I'm always avoided 500 series because of the extra hardware, but these might be worth it.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Addict

I have a pair of the first Alctron MP73A 500 series mic preamps with the busy graphics. No issues with them; they sound very similar (same) as the GAP Pre-573 that I own. They have the same switches and features. Not Neves but totally worth what they cost new. Ridiculous value for a 500 series preamp.

The current N-Sonic 500 series pre & eq are the same except for the more 'sedate' faceplate color scheme.

As far as 500 racks go, apparently people have had good experiences with the Midas (Behringer) L-6 and L-10 units, both are under $300. I can recommend what NOT to buy: any Lindell Audio 1st generation 500 series racks. Some people have had hum/audio interference problems because of poor shielding of the internal power supply.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbyron View Post
Anyone know if there's an affordable enclosure available? I'm always avoided 500 series because of the extra hardware, but these might be worth it.
I have a 6 space api that I bought used for around $300, it works well. I have thought about buying a bigger one but there's still 2 empty spaces in the api, so maybe someday.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post
+1
Anyone using them?
I have two of each. GAP 573 mkII, N-Sonic N73PRE and Neve 1073LB. Basically the GAP and N-Sonic have a nice mid punch to them but, not as much as the Neve's. The N-Sonic's are a killer bargain and great for that Neve sound. I believe the transformers are what hold back the mid punch a little but, these are still very useful pres. I threw some cheap black Marconi clone knobs on the GAP's and N-Sonic's which helps me see where the pointer is and also makes them look cooler.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burster1 View Post
I have two of each. GAP 573 mkII, N-Sonic N73PRE and Neve 1073LB. Basically the GAP and N-Sonic have a nice mid punch to them but, not as much as the Neve's. The N-Sonic's are a killer bargain and great for that Neve sound. I believe the transformers are what hold back the mid punch a little but, these are still very useful pres. I threw some cheap black Marconi clone knobs on the GAP's and N-Sonic's which helps me see where the pointer is and also makes them look cooler.

Hey, can you share your source for the Marconi clone knobs?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh91311 View Post
Hey, can you share your source for the Marconi clone knobs?
GD Parts has a great selection and price. Shipping from China was less than two weeks and more like a week.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GD-PARTS-Vi...C/323803781244

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burster1 View Post
GD Parts has a great selection and price. Shipping from China was less than two weeks and more like a week.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GD-PARTS-Vi...C/323803781244

Thanks for the source!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search