The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
feedback on the Behringer B2 microphones !!!
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

feedback on the Behringer B2 microphones !!!

Hi all,

I'm looking to get some mics for room when tracking my drums. So far i have 2 Shure KSM32 for overhead, SM57 snare, Beta52 on bass drum and MD421 on toms. All mics go through the Daking pre/eq.
I thought of getting another AKG 414 TL-II as i already own one but the 414 has a slight bump in the mid that i don't dig that much for this purpose so i thought of the AT 4050 until someone recommanded the Behringer B2 and said that he prefers them over the U87 !!! shit !! thart's quite a statement for a $ 300 microphone...Anyways, what are your commenst/suggestions ?? Thanks
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

The B2 is 'metallic' sounding. While that might not be the greatest on vocals, it's killer as a drum room mic. It has replace the U87 I used to use as a room mic. (I guess I was that guy) One of it's main flaws is that even in Cardiod patten, it picks up a wide pattern. There's little rejection from the back, which sucks unless you are really only looking for an omni mic.
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

e-cue,

No, you're not the guy in question but thanks for the response. Metallic sounding is not what i like in a room tone but i still will check them out as it is not always easy to describe sound in words.
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

Hi e-cue ! how are you? Never imagined would find in here either. In fact, I do not come very much to thisnice forum, hope to be more present..

The AT4050´s are great, why our friend doesn´t take a look at the At4040´s?

Nice week
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

Nice to see you over here Alécio.

Metalic is the closest buzz word I can use to describe it, but it's more descriptive when trying to cut, say, vocals or guitar. The reason I like it as a room mic is because it picks up a much wider pattern than most other mics. A B2 room mic through almost any mic pre (the 1073 and Sytek being my current fav) and a distressor on NUKE is just incredible. The 4040 is a decent mic for these apps as well.
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

Hi e-cue!
Although this is not the place to criticize brands... seems you are the first engineer that I have seen saying good comments about this mic. I myself had never tried it. Will take a look at that either!

Nice week!
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Alécio Costa
Hi e-cue!
Although this is not the place to criticize brands... seems you are the first engineer that I have seen saying good comments about this mic.
Well, I'm one of these smucks that tries to find a good use for ANY product. While I think their EQ's are horrid, a lot of Behringer gear gets a bad rap. Even the stuff they didn't rip off from other companies. I've shown off the B2 as a drum room mic to several engineers, 3 of which went out and bought one for themselves.
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

Some years ago I had a mackie 2404, which was my first "big" board.

One year later Behringer had a similar product... A bad done copy instead..

Now they took the approach of the Yamaha 01V and imrpoved its features..

Isn´t it against law in the US?

I have a Behringer Ukltracurve that I use as RTA to impress clients. It uised to generate a nasty distorton at its outs and damaged 3 tweeters of my monitors!!!

My patchbay also is awful. A mic pre I had used to output different gain levels at the L/R channels with stereo balanced signals.

The only one that goes well in here is their exciter....

so.. any similar behavior with you gear friend?

I was curious about their new mic pre with 96k output.. seems similar to the focusrite tone factory!

Old 16th October 2002
Gear Nut

Well F*ck me sideways with a bargepole...

After buying a bunch of Behringer gear back in my youth I decided to never touch them again, but after that endorsement I'm gonna have to get a pair.

BTW is it even LEGAL to hook up something ostensiably so cheap and nasty to such a beautiful signal path?!

Old 18th October 2002
Behringer gear

I have had one piece of Behringer gear in my studio; a de-noiser which was a combination sliding low-pass-filter (to remove hiss) and exapnder (to remove hiss). It did its job well, but would leave things sounding somewhat "dead"; but without the noise.

- Sam
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear