The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
help me upgrade my studio please
Old 20th February 2007
Gear Nut

help me upgrade my studio please

this is kind of a long post so i apologize in advance...

so i got a little extra cash and i need some upgrades to my home studio. first i need to do some sound treatment to the control room. it is a square room but it has no 90 degree corners. where the 90 deg corner would be there is a peice of wood turning it into a 45 degree corner(that makes sense right?). the floor and ceiling are parralell too. i have heard of hanging tiles from the ceiling to diffuse the sound. has anyone had luck with this. are there any inexpensive ways to fix the parallell wall problem.

the next thing i need is some mic pres and converters. i have been looking at presonus firepod and firestudio as well as motu hd192. i have heard good things about all the pres but not so much about the converters. i need something that can be used on as many insruments as possible. im mainly doing vocals but guitars, bass, horns and drums will be recorded as well. any info on these pieces as well as any others would be great.

i could also use a coupl d.i. boxes.

i know there are a lot of questions for one thread, and i apriciate everyone who took some time to read all this. thanks
buddha fingers
Old 20th February 2007
Lives for gear

for sound treatment, look into bass trapping/broadbang absorption. Your most important spots will be the first reflection points (overhead, and to the sides of where you sit to mix).

I recommend either Real Traps or GIK Acoustic traps. If you're handy with a saw, a screwdriver, and can afford some expensive fabric...do what I did, and do it yourself. Takes alot of patience. But 18 bass traps cost me a FRACTION of what I would've paid otherwise.

As for Pres and Converters, well that's all personal taste. RME makes great interfaces and converters. Try out the RME ADI-2 if you only need two channels at a time. Apogee mini-me is also a good solution.

FMR RNP is good enough for guitars and vocals. Doesn't get any hiss up until about 55-60dB gain.
Old 20th February 2007
Gear Nut

sorry if this reply shows up twice, my computer is acting up.

nesneedsgear,
thanks for the ideas. i need 8 inputs minimum. i am using a 002 but i want to bypass the pres and converters. i would like to keep it down near a grand or so, but i will go as high as 3-4 grand if there is a noticible difference in quality. like i said, i need 8 inputs. so either one 8 input pre/converter or 4 two input pre/converters. i am goin to be recording just about everything so i am thinkin 4 two inputs might be nice. but let me know what yall think. thanks again
buddha fingers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search