The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Inputs on my setup? ART Pro MPA-II + Fathead 1 + Tascam 70D
Old 25th June 2016
Here for the gear

Inputs on my setup? ART Pro MPA-II + Fathead 1 + Tascam 70D

I am looking into upgrading my audio equipment (I've been using a Zoom H2 and a Rode Shotgun Mic on Camera)

Plan on using this to record mostly audition tapes for trombone.

Been doing alot of research and it seems the Fathead maybe what I am looking for in terms of dark sound.

I already own a Tascam 70D, which I don't think will feed the Fathead much to open up.

What do you guys think about a single Fathead ~6ft off infront and above in a larger recital hall. With a ART Pro MPA-II preamp into the Tascam.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear
I have the ART MPAII and a pair of Fatheads. The combination will certainly work on brass. That combination will sound very different from the Rode Shotgun, which is probably a little over-bright on horns.
There are at least a few hundred combinations of mics and preamps that could be recommended for horns. This is a reasonably-priced combination that will do the job. If you decide on a different combination, be wary of preamps that don't have enough gain for a ribbon.
Old 26th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I have the ART MPAII and a pair of Fatheads. The combination will certainly work on brass. That combination will sound very different from the Rode Shotgun, which is probably a little over-bright on horns.
There are at least a few hundred combinations of mics and preamps that could be recommended for horns. This is a reasonably-priced combination that will do the job. If you decide on a different combination, be wary of preamps that don't have enough gain for a ribbon.
thanks for the info!

I was only planning on picking up a single fathead until I decided I need two.

The biggest issue with the Rode Shotgun is that sounds super super thin (tinny). I wanted more depth in the sound, hopefully a affordable ribbon will get me on the right path.

Do you have any other suggestions in similar price range? I've search for more info the past three nights on this site and a few others via google and everything has been guitars

Also, what do you think of the Tascam? I've used it for interviews with a SM57 but never had a chance to get it working with music.
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear
The Tascam is outside my area of knowledge. I'm an audio guy who only very occasionally does audio for video. It looks like a well-designed piece of gear.
If you are recording horns, I prefer the fathead to dynamics or small or large condensers. There are better ribbon mics, but the price jumps quickly to 700 or 1200 dollars. I'm not sure that you would hear a lot of difference between those mics and the fathead. There would be a little more clarity perhaps. I think you might do better than the ART preamp. I like the Focusrite ISA One or Two. The different impedance selections on the Focusrite are much more dramatic with a Fathead than the impedance control on the ART, and the preamp sounds cleaner, while at the same time being as warm as the ART. That surprised me, since the Focusrite is not a tube pre. The Fathead (or any passive ribbon) with the highest impedance setting on the Focusrite are a favorite of mine on brass or guitar amps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search