The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AKG C214 Thread
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Nut

AKG C214 Thread

I know some people like it some people hate it. Discuss your opinions. I love to hate on it but I kinda want one because it seems to have such a strange scooped sound with hyped top end and bass. also grain.
Old 25th June 2016
Gear Head
Right now I am using it on outside kick (together with an RE20 and a subkick).
When I'm recording in a nice studio with a proper mic collection then I will typically use a fet47 for this job. But in a home recording context it does this job very well (and it can handle the spl without any problems...)
It is definitely not a mic I would reccomend for someone who wants to own only one ldc mic. Not versatile enough. In particular I never really liked it on vocals.
However whenever you have sources with a lot of low end (kick, bass amp) it seems to somehow give a relatively clear sound. (I guess the scooped curve helps in getting rid of some lower midrange mud)
Old 25th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndfloor View Post
Right now I am using it on outside kick (together with an RE20 and a subkick).
When I'm recording in a nice studio with a proper mic collection then I will typically use a fet47 for this job. But in a home recording context it does this job very well (and it can handle the spl without any problems...)
It is definitely not a mic I would reccomend for someone who wants to own only one ldc mic. Not versatile enough. In particular I never really liked it on vocals.
However whenever you have sources with a lot of low end (kick, bass amp) it seems to somehow give a relatively clear sound. (I guess the scooped curve helps in getting rid of some lower midrange mud)
thanks for info. it reminds me of the c214 reminds me of the m179. very dark and grainy except c214 seems to be hyped up at higher frequencies and skooped more. hated m179.
Old 25th June 2016
Lives for gear
The AKG 414 line has been going down hill every since the first incarnation that started with the C12. The best currently manufactured version is:

CM414 | Advanced Audio Microphones

Because it uses a copper cap like the original 414

I purchased a pair of 414's in the late 90's and hated them. Later I found out that was when they made the worse version.

The 412 is the current cart only version.
Old 25th June 2016
The 414 / 214 is not a bad line.
It is also not a great line.
I find it a bit harsh on the top end.
Good for overheads and pianos.
Not great on vocals.

It will get the job done, and you wont be able to blame the microphone. There are far worse sounding microphones, but the detractor for the line is the price vs performance. They keep the price relatively high due to the names "brand recognition" - the same way that Cadillac has made a few busts for cars, yet start them out with the typical Cadillac sticker price. People pay higher amounts when they automatically associate things with a previous work that sounded good. We see it all the time in gear. Either the housing of the unit is similar, or the name is similar to a great product they previously released. Without looking at the actual schematics and individual components of a unit - they look at the appearance/name of a model and assume that its from the line, and will sound like its relatives. Most times this is not true, such as the ADL600 vs RC500, or the Focusrite Red Series vs Focusrite Scarlet Series, and obviously the AKG414(originals) vs AKG414xxx.

The components are not the same so the sound can not be the same. Change one simple part, and you may get away with it, but when there's essentially only 1 part being used that's found in the original....no.....you can not expect the same sound. Notice how they word these things....
"Uses the original design of model xxxx" - yes the Design is the same but the Parts are not !
Old 25th June 2016
dkr
Gear Maniac

Things C414 and C214 have in common:
- manufactured by AKG
- similarities in exterior look
- name ends with "...14"

What they do not have in common:
- electronics
- capsule
- versatility and sound
Old 25th June 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr View Post
Things C414 and C214 have in common:
- manufactured by AKG
- similarities in exterior look
- name ends with "...14"

What they do not have in common:
- electronics
- capsule
- versatility and sound
All that may be true. I don't know xD
However I don't think this is the point of this thread. If you expect to buy a 300 dollar c214 and get a three times more expensive mic then obviously you will be disappointed. This is the low end theory section after all.
As I said... There are applications that the c214 actually works very well for. Even though I have a custom tube ldc, 2 tlm 102s and a U87 as well as a bunch of other condensers I will gladly use it on kick out any day :-)
For overheads however it is atrocious in my opinion :-) (maybe it is just my room...)
Old 26th June 2016
Gear Nut

i made a vid about it
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear

Willie Watson - Rock Salt & Nails - Live into a single C214

Sure looks like this is 100% C214, pretty impressive, captures Willie Watson's incredible performance. Person confirms its a 214 in the comments.

Still I own this mic and it's ok, better than most low end condensers for sure. Can be found cheaper used because very popular.

Personally for vocals I am finding the 3U Audio Warbler mics are much better sounding, rounder more 3d and thicker. Also cheaper and with more options, so kind of a no-brainer for me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search