The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Faulty DOD866 Series II Compressor??
Old 21st June 2016
Here for the gear
Faulty DOD866 Series II Compressor??

Yo,
I just acquired a DOD 866 Series II compressor off the classifieds in my local area, but it doesn't seem to be working.
I heard the UI on this thing was really badly thought out, so before I write a strongly-worded email to the seller, I'd like to make sure it's not just me not knowing how to use it.

Powering on the unit, the gain reduction meter goes full, then it goes down one LED at a time. The 'compressor' buttons light up their respective LEDs and sound passes through, but that's about it. None of the knobs do anything once the channel is turned on, the gate threshold LED remains unlit at all times, and with the compressor on, it only really reduces the audio level.
In/Out gain does nothing, increasing the gate threshold doesn't block out any sound, and with an open gate, -40 Comp. threshold, 1:inf. ratio, 0.01 attack and 0.05 release, the sound doesn't change at all. I'm using an S1000 and the amen break to listen to the effect, plugged into Channel 1 In/Out. I've tried using both channels, no dice.
In Renoise, the same settings change the sound drastically.

It's worth mentioning that, on occasion, even with the compressor channels turned off, the sound sometimes "ducks" or has a large amount of low-end filtered out, which leads me to think this thing is broken as heck, considering the Sidechain I/O are completely unused.

So, am I completely misunderstanding how to use the 866, or have I been duped?
Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 21st June 2016
Here for the gear
Opened it up and pulled out the multimeter. Pots are as dead as can be. All of them barring two show infinite resistance, one is shorted and one is 2000x the rated resistance. What a letdown. It's a pretty easy fix, at least, and from some quick alligator cabling it seems the circuitry itself works fine.
Hope I can get my money back.

Edit: I could! Guy was being very cool about it. Got most of my money back and kept the unit for fixing.

Last edited by MooseHead; 23rd June 2016 at 06:44 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search