The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Relatively cheap synths that can sound like Boards of Canada?
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Head

Relatively cheap synths that can sound like Boards of Canada?

Anyone know of some good cheap synths that can produce a Boards of Canada sound?

..am I even asking the right question..?
Old 21st June 2016
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Jax View Post
Anyone know of some good cheap synths that can produce a Boards of Canada sound
You could have a look at a Korg Poly800. Not a great synth in general, but can achieve some pads like some BOC tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Jax View Post
..am I even asking the right question..?
The question is fine, but a synth of any kind, will only get you so far towards BOC production. You could look into tape, tape delays, analogue chorus, samplers etc.

This line of questioning has come up quite a bit before, probably more so in the electronic music sub-forum. Try a few searches. I find Google's domain search syntax handy, such as the following:

https://www.google.com.au/#q=site:ge...ards+of+canada

Try with related search terms.

Good luck.

edit - Poly800 should be cheap. Don't be fooled by opportunistic sellers. Also do some reading on common maintenance issues.
Old 21st June 2016
Here for the gear

I havnt heard much boards of Canada...can't remember exactly what they sounded like...if you want an affordable keyboard that is capable of alot of cool things i would recomend a novation xstation.....its not in productiin anymore but it is still new enough to sound current if you are wanting to make some chill or downtempo electronic tracks. It has a lot of synthy patches, and controls for just about any aspect of tweaking them to your liking. Should be able to find one on eBay from 300-500 range which is affordable. You could probably buy a brand new different synth for about the same. but I really like this one. it has a great fx section. The cool thing is it has two combi inputs on back so it can be used for an effect processer for other instraments at same time. also has two midi outputs so it can work as a split zone keyboard controller for two separate external devices. I think that all in all those two things were why I chose to purchased it. The classix synthesiser functionality was just the bonus. I have been trying to avoid the computer for the last few years... My favorite peice of gear is either my korg MicroStation. Or my korg microsampler. Both have allowed me to enjoy making music in a way that was just not possible without hooking up all my other equip at the same time. The only other synth I have used is an alesis ion. Which is analogue synth also but not as easy to manipulate the patches. Works good for phrase recording and it can store and manipulate the phrases.... which is a very cool way to work out quick keyboard ideas. These all have helped me create music. even when I am feeling uninspired I can usually make something that sounds different evrrtime I try. Oops.. That supposed to be alesis "micron". Never touched the alesis "ion" That one probably a bit different.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search