The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tascam 414mkII Amateur Questions
Old 19th June 2016
Here for the gear

Tascam 414mkII Amateur Questions

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to this forum and I signed up because I'm utterly confused but determined to get everything in gear to record properly. I'm hoping you guys can help me and be as detailed as possible, as if explaining to a child because I really am very confused at the moment - and reading other threads on various other websites has only left me more confused. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read;

I acquired a Tascam Portastudio 414mkII a while back but never got round to using it properly but now I'd really like to record some music on it because I've always been a fan of that lo-fi analogue warm sound. However I've run into a few obstacles that's hindering my creative output.

1. Firstly, for the life of me I don't know how to hook it up to my audio interface to transfer the recorded material on tape to my DAW. Everyone on the web says to hook up RCA cables to your interface and you're done but it really doesn't seem that simple for me. I have a Focusrite Scarlet Solo so the line outputs on the back of the interface are indeed fit for RCA cables. So, where do I plug the cables in on the tape recorder? Is it in Line Out, Mon Out or Sub In? I really am clueless. Also, how do I actually TRANSFER the material from the Tascam to my DAW? I can't get any signal whatsoever in Logic from the Tascam. It really is confusing the life out of me. At the moment I have RCA cables coming out of Line Out on the Tascam into the Line Outputs on the back of my Scarlet audio interface. I feel this isn't right, so if someone could walk me through in laymans terms how to do this I would be very grateful!

2. Stupid question, but does the Tascam work as a mic pre amp or will I need a seperate Phantom box if I'm using a condenser microphone? The reason I ask is because I plugged a condenser microphone into the BACK of my Tascam as I only have the standard XLR cable. Again, I ran into an obstacle where I couldn't get signal out of the microphone AT ALL. I read somewhere that you can only use dynamic microphones but again if someone could break this down for me I'd be very grateful.

Thanks very much for all your help guys, I hope someone can help me out because at the moment I'm clueless and all the other forum posts I've read don't seem to be helping me out at all.
Old 19th June 2016
Lives for gear

Looks like you're doing it backwards. You need to go from the line OUT of the Tascam to the line IN of the Focusrite. The Focusrite doesn't have RCA input jacks so you will need an adapter to get the RCA to a 1/4" jack to plug it into the interface. Depending on which model of Scarlett you have you may only be able to transfer one track at a time. I'd read up on some basic signal flow before you go too much further.

The Tascam does have mic preamps, but they do not provide phantom power. So you can plug a dynamic or ribbon mic directly into it but you will need an external device that provides phantom power to use a condenser.

-Mike
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear
Unfortunately, the transfer will be in " real time " so once you get signal into your computer, mash record on the DAW and then play on the Tascam. Now, go get yourself something to drink and wait for the cassette to be emptied..... Good luck..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search