The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar and amp ties from control room to live room?!? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Head

Guitar and amp ties from control room to live room?!?

I was working in a studio the other day where there was the facility to plug a guitar or amp head into a break out box in the control room which then fed the signal to a respective break out box in the live room. There were 4 inputs/outputs on the break out boxes two to allow a guitar to be directly plugged in and two for speaker connections from an amp, Im looking to set this up in my own studio as I feel it would be incredibly beneficial. I know this is a pretty common set up but I've done some phoning round to suppliers I usually use for snakes/cables etc and none of them seem to be able to help, just wondered if any of you slutz knew anywhere to get hold of these in the UK?
Cheers!
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Nut

Little Labs makes a cool box for just that. You can find it at Mercenary. I beleive they ship globally.

I could be wrong on the shipping thing though...

just my two quid...
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Radial also has two yellow boxes for that. And they also have cool stuff like 7 channel guitar splitter. You can also do it with two jdi's or pro di's and a female to female xlr cable.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deve View Post
Radial also has two yellow boxes for that.
I've not found them to work very well seeing as there for guitar level input and not 100watt power input.

I'm looking at the Little Labs STD. Anyone used that from speaker out of amp head into the patch tie? Have to use another at the other end?
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Nut

I use a really long speaker cable haha it works!
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalrysound View Post
I use a really long speaker cable haha it works!
bingo!

rich
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

i agree but when tracking drums guitar and bass at the same time its not really a good option to have doors slightly open for a cable.

The STD won't do it and don't even try, spoke to someone at Mercenary y'day.

Would you really have any problems running the speaker out from the head straight into the multicore?
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Head

At my place, I have speaker ties between control room, live room, vocal booth, and also the speaker iso boxes I'm building. All I did was use a whole lot of heavy-ass speaker cable, and made some patch panels up for the walls. The speaker cable is just soldered to those Neutrik jack sockets with the red catch on the top.

Obviously you can only use this with amp-level signals, but I generally find that beneficial (much easier to tweak as you monitor). The only problems I've run into were when guys came in with combos with no speaker output access - mostly cheaper bass amps, in which case the player has a choice - my ampeg rig or room bleed.

Best thing about this set-up is that it works great and it's much cheaper than a dedicated box!

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

yeah we usually just end up having the head on the cab thats all, we have the radial guitar - line driver boxes - would just be nice to have control over the heads instead of running back n forth laziness! lol
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiekid View Post
i agree but when tracking drums guitar and bass at the same time its not really a good option to have doors slightly open for a cable.

The STD won't do it and don't even try, spoke to someone at Mercenary y'day.

Would you really have any problems running the speaker out from the head straight into the multicore?
your tracking these at the same time? is this just a demo? no one is overdubbing? you can get away with a pod or plug ins for guitar and bass for scratch tracks just to get the drums down. either that or look into reamping di'd gtr and bass after the fact.

rich
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

yeah everyones playing at the same time but drums and bass are being focused upon. the band have asked to be able to do this, i dont see the problem getting the sound right in the room with the cab and just letting me mic the bloody thing, but hey ho!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search