The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which $100 interface
View Poll Results: Which $100 interface to start with?
Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2x2 (2nd Gen)
15 Votes - 65.22%
Steinberg UR12
1 Votes - 4.35%
M-Audio M-Track 2x2 (brand new)
3 Votes - 13.04%
Other
4 Votes - 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th June 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Which $100 interface

Hey all,
I'd like to dip my toe in the world of home recording. Figured a two input interface that isn't total garbage should be good enough to start with. I'd like to be able to record bass, guitar, e-drums and vocals (not all at the same time obviously,) into my PC.

I think I have it narrowed down to:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2x2 (2nd Gen)
M-Audio M-Track 2x2 (will hit store shelves this week)
Steinberg UR12

All have sample rate of 192kHz/24bit

M-Audio comes with Cubase LE and a bunch of other plugins
Steinberg comes with Cubase AI and seems to have a nicer Pre
Focusrite comes with Pro Tools First and Ableton Live Lite

Thoughts?
Old 14th June 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Figured a two input interface that isn't total garbage should be good enough to start with
UR12 has a single input and only has phono outs. UR22 is the 2 channel equivalent but is obviously more expensive

Scarlett Solo 2x2 is something that doesn't exist I think??....there is either a Solo (single channel) or a two input 2i2 of which I've seen a few reports of problems with lack of headroom on the instrument input.
EDIT...sorry, on further looking I see there is a solo 2x2 that has single mic pre and a 2nd line/instrument input

The Mtrack seems to have a good feature set for the money....if you can hang on for release and a few reviews to make sure it's no lemon I'd probably put this at top of that list.
Old 15th June 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
MarkF48's Avatar
Haven't seen this one mentioned much on GS, but another forum recommends this occasionally....
Alesis iO2 Express
Also has real MIDI ports if you ever play around with keyboards or similar.
Old 15th June 2016
  #4
Gear Nut
 

you know which one you really want cubase fanboy. theres plenty of older models m-audio makes. avid is also pretty good. so is prosonus.

Quote:
All have sample rate of 192kHz/24bit
lol'd

m-audio repackages their crap every year. its ridiculous.
Old 15th June 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
The Focusrite stuff is really, really solid at that price point. I have a Scarlett Solo and I sometimes use it as a mobile alternative to my Clarett. I'd rather have a Solo sized Clarett if I had a choice but is say the Solo holds its own. The pricetag is pretty sweet. I would however argue that the 2i2 for $149 is a slightly better deal if you want two onboard pres and balanced outs.
Old 19th June 2016
  #6
Gear Addict
 
BazzBass's Avatar
Scarlett 2i2 for the extra mic pre.

Forget about free cubase lite with the others, get Reaper for $60
Old 20th June 2016
  #7
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by systolic212 View Post
Hey all,
I'd like to dip my toe in the world of home recording. Figured a two input interface that isn't total garbage should be good enough to start with. I'd like to be able to record bass, guitar, e-drums and vocals (not all at the same time obviously,) into my PC.

I think I have it narrowed down to:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2x2 (2nd Gen)
M-Audio M-Track 2x2 (will hit store shelves this week)
Steinberg UR12

All have sample rate of 192kHz/24bit

M-Audio comes with Cubase LE and a bunch of other plugins
Steinberg comes with Cubase AI and seems to have a nicer Pre
Focusrite comes with Pro Tools First and Ableton Live Lite

Thoughts?

I would never buy ANY of these interfaces listed.
I just think there are better options for same or slightly more money so no reason to consider these really

Free Cubase might be cool ,then again for those on a mac there's Garage band included.I own M-audio's 1010LT.okay thingie ,but ,fact is , thats nothing really great about it .just okay sound.Steinberg's interface might be okay for the money but ,still ,nothing special about that either .I have the same thoughs about focusrite's too : nmice red color ,yeah ,but basic interface ,nothing great about it .I like the Focusrite bundle of plugs though ,especially with the tube sim plugs included atm.

I wouldn't care about the 192khz sample rate either .What's really impoortant ,is the number of inputs on the thingie.
BECAUSE ,even if you're not excited with their quality ,you can always add a nice preamp !!!
That's the reason I would conisder the cheapo Behringer's range : more inputs for maybe slightly more money.

So for us$ 150 (Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD) ,u get four inputs + four outputs.That's allowing for more ,and thus is kinda "future proof".Now I dont know how it's pres compares to focusrite's but ,hey they are four.And Behringer says that those are MIDAS designed pres.I just diont know cause I haven't used any of these behringer's stuff ,but on paper looks Goood ,and ,
to get on the next level you will need a decent pre amp ANYWAY

Last edited by sonicapg; 20th June 2016 at 10:55 AM..
Old 20th June 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Unless the inputs are digital and the UMC404HD appears to not be, you're still going to be affected by the conversion stage after you plug in those other external pre-amps. Their ASIO performance has always been lacking too on the PC side.
Old 20th June 2016
  #9
Here for the gear
 
Focusrite__'s Avatar
 

Grab yourself a Focusrite interface and you will be all set.

https://global.focusrite.com/
Old 20th June 2016
  #10
I've had a Scarlett 2i4 for quite some time and I like it a lot, sure the pres are quite dull compared to high end stuff like my UA 710 but for the price tag they're great! I'll be getting a 2nd gen 18i20 for my band soon as well, really hoping for some improvements on the latency side of things as well as pres/conversion.

Haven't tried the UR but I've heard some samples and like it a lot, might be a bit better pres in that compared to the scarlett actually. I've also used an m-audio fast track ultra which might be similar to the m-track and I like it, though I prefer the Scarlett but that could be down to a matter of taste imho.
Old 23rd June 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
Used Emu 1820m...................
Old 23rd June 2016
  #12
Gear Head
 

I recommend Focusrite. The British mixing console manufacturers is what I go for when looking at mic pres as its hard not to beat esp Audient. Not to mention this is Rupert Neve's second company he started. Neve Electronics 1st company, Sold Neve Electronics in 1985, started Focusrite 2nd company the same year sold in 1989 to reborn as Focusrite Audio Engineering, Rupert Neve Designs 3rd company present. You are going to get far better sound with Focusrite hardware out of the other two, not that I'm saying they are bad or not good enough. They all do the same thing, meets the needs and gets the job done.
Old 23rd June 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Swurveman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 View Post
I recommend Focusrite. The British mixing console manufacturers is what I go for when looking at mic pres as its hard not to beat esp Audient. Not to mention this is Rupert Neve's second company he started. Neve Electronics 1st company, Sold Neve Electronics in 1985, started Focusrite 2nd company the same year sold in 1989 to reborn as Focusrite Audio Engineering, Rupert Neve Designs 3rd company present.
Why do people try to tie Rupert Neve's name to products he never was involved in in any way, shape or form.

Rupert Neve had nothing to do with designing or manufacturing the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2x2. it's a cheap interface made in China. It may be what the OP can afford, but it has nothing to do with Rupert Neve.
Old 23rd June 2016
  #14
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
Why do people try to tie Rupert Neve's name to products he never was involved in in any way, shape or form.

Rupert Neve had nothing to do with designing or manufacturing the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2x2. it's a cheap interface made in China. It may be what the OP can afford, but it has nothing to do with Rupert Neve.
Someone needs to learn how to read. Who said anything about Rupert designing anything new with the company?

I mentioned Rupert because he started the company as it was his second company and that was all. Focusrite is a Rupert Neve brand. How ever his original schematic designs still lives on in the modern ISA hardware, same original designs, same transformers while the rest of the products was deigned by Focusrite's engineers. The company it's self is known for its excellent s in Mic pres which is why their audio interfaces tend to stand out above the competition.

Its not a cheap low quality interface at all. More like midrange compared to the Claret that's more higher end. It was designed in England if you look on the box. Just because it says made in China doesn't mean is Chinese junk. It was just put together and assemble there that's it. Your iphone is put together in China but designed and Engineered in California. Your Nike shoes was designed in America but manufactured in China. Your Dell Laptop was designed in Texas but was manufactured in China or Malaysia. Big difference man!
Old 23rd June 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Swurveman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 View Post

I mentioned Rupert because he started the company as it was his second company and that was all. Focusrite is a Rupert Neve brand. How ever his original schematic designs still lives on in the modern ISA hardware, same original designs, same transformers while the rest of the products was deigned by Focusrite's engineers. The company it's self is known for its excellent s in Mic pres which is why their audio interfaces tend to stand out above the competition.
What does this have to do with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2x2 (2nd Gen)? Does the preamp in the Focusrite Scarlett Solo have any similar components or circuitry as Rupert Neve's original Input Signal Amplifier (ISA) 110? If so, prove it.

Quote:
Its not a cheap low quality interface at all. More like midrange compared to the Claret that's more higher end. It was designed in England if you look on the box.
Midrange? Have you looked at preamp, converter and audio interface prices? This cheap box purports to provide you with one channel of all three for $120.00. That's cheap, not mid range. And I could care less if my Nike's or phone are being made in China. This is audio fidelity at its cheapest.
Old 23rd June 2016
  #16
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
What does this have to do with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2x2 (2nd Gen)? Does the preamp in the Focusrite Scarlett Solo have any similar components or circuitry as Rupert Neve's original Input Signal Amplifier (ISA) 110? If so, prove it.



Midrange? Have you looked at preamp, converter and audio interface prices? This cheap box purports to provide you with one channel of all three for $120.00. That's cheap, not mid range. And I could care less if my Nike's or phone are being made in China. This is audio fidelity at its cheapest.

Damn dude you have really bad reading comprehension. Seriously dude. Stop putting words in my mouth that I never said or twisting **** around. You seem to have some hatred to the Focusrite Brand with all this negativity coming out your mouth.

I mentioned Rupert Neve 1.) Because its a fact its his company despite that he sold it just like he sold Neve Electronics. Its his brand regardless what he didn't design as that's not the point. If it wasn't for him, this company wouldn't of never existed in the first place. The Modern ISA still uses his original designs. We got a Focusrite rep right in this thread and they will say the same thing.

You are blindly comparing specs without even trying the unit out yourself by being prejudice. Real world use and listening test matters more than specs on a sheet. That's like blindly buying a car based on specs and think its a good car with out taking it for a test drive. The Scarlett is nothing like an M-Audio Fast track which is dirt cheap low quality as I had one of those before when I first started out. The Scarlett has pretty high quality mic pres that stands out with its competitors in the same price range competing with Presonus etc. Price doesn't necessary determine quality. Focusrite products are generally priced a lot lower than most of its competitors to make them affordable for the same high quality. The amount of functions go into the price as well as the less functions the cheaper the price, the more functions the higher the price. The digital conversion and mic pre Specs is exactly the same across the entire Scarlett range. The solo is just a mini version of the bigger models. but its only usb bus powered only. And a mater of fact, the Scarlett range is essentially a repackaged Saffire. There's no difference with the exception of connectivity one is firewire and the other USB and that the firewire lacks the BNC connector that's found on the 18i20. Both The Saffire and Scarlett uses the exact same mic pres and converters. Both feature JetPLL for jitter reduction.

I actually own the Forte and the Scarlett 18I20 myself. The Forte I use as a DAC for mixing and Scarlett for audio production as my main interface for tracking my MPC 5000, Motif ES, Fantom X etc. I get excellent sound and profession results with both of these units. I got links to tracks I've composed and mixed if you want to here for yourself.
Old 23rd June 2016
  #17
Gear Addict
 
BazzBass's Avatar
this site could easily be renamed to Gear Snobs lol

so many of you look down on anyone not using thousand dollar pres and Neuman mics. Everyone has to start somewhere, we're not gonna go and buy these thousand dollar mics until we able to properly use them to their best effect.

So we start with $200 mics and Focusrite 2i2s.

This happened to me, I asked about putting an ART pre amp thru my Scarlett 2i2.

First reply was, "waste of time you're just putting a @#$% pre into a @#$% interface."

wow thanks dude,really helpfull.........

Anyway I'm getting some nice demos out of this '@#$%" gear.

Sometimes....it's the performance that counts , not the price tag on the equipment.
Old 23rd June 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Swurveman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 View Post
Damn dude you have really bad reading comprehension. Seriously dude. Stop putting words in my mouth that I never said or twisting **** around.
Nope. You've got bad reading comprehension. My only point is that this Scarlett Solo has nothing to do with a Rupert Neve design. Get the Focusrite Rep to say it does. I'll wait.....
Old 23rd June 2016
  #19
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15;1197852
5
Damn dude you have really bad reading comprehension. Seriously dude. Stop putting words in my mouth that I never said or twisting **** around.
Nope. You've got bad reading comprehension. My only point is that this Scarlett Solo has nothing to do with a Rupert Neve design. Get the Focusrite Rep to say it does. I'll wait.....

Stop saying **** I never said man. Who said anything about Rupert Neve making the Scarlett? Nobody. Read my comments carefully. Focusrite is a Rupert Neve brand. He started the company. How hard is that to comprehend homie? My comment about the Scarlett said nothing about Neve making it. My comment is about the company it's self! The only thing that still remains with the company that uses his oringal designs is the ISA, while the rest was Engineer by long time Focusrite Engineers. AMS Neve Electronics/Focusrite/Rupert Neve Designs all started by Rupert Neve.
Old 23rd June 2016
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzBass View Post
this site could easily be renamed to Gear Snobs lol

so many of you look down on anyone not using thousand dollar pres and Neuman mics. Everyone has to start somewhere, we're not gonna go and buy these thousand dollar mics until we able to properly use them to their best effect.
Right? This has been mildly helpful at best. I really try not to post on here for that exact reason. You have to wade through a swamp of snobbery and in-fighting to glean a couple quick bits of helpful info. Welcome to the internet i suppose.
Old 23rd June 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Swurveman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 View Post
Stop saying **** I never said man. Who said anything about Rupert Neve making the Scarlett? Nobody. Read my comments carefully. Focusrite is a Rupert Neve brand. He started the company. How hard is that to comprehend homie? My comment about the Scarlett said nothing about Neve making it. My comment is about the company it's self! The only thing that still remains with the company that uses his oringal designs is the ISA, while the rest was Engineer by long time Focusrite Engineers. AMS Neve Electronics/Focusrite/Rupert Neve Designs all started by Rupert Neve.
Rupert Neve starting the company has nothing to do with the Scarlett Solo. You might as well have said Bill Gates started the company, they've had the same impact on the Scarlett Solo-NONE. How hard is that to comprehend?
Old 24th June 2016
  #22
Gear Head
 
J_Jax's Avatar
 

Presonus audio box is good. I bought the focusrite solo and the usb wasn't connecting properly.. It would plug in and work for a second, but the computer would say it was unplugged even though it wasn't. Apparently, this is a problem a lot of people have.
Old 24th June 2016
  #23
Gear Head
I would look at two channel interfaces, the "single" channels are not that much cheaper, but can't even do a simple stereo recording.
(Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, Presonus AudioBox USB, are still on budget. Neither Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 nor Steinberg UR22 MK2 are that much more...)

If you want to spend more money for better sound: save it for good monitors. The first few 1000$ are better placed at "hear what you do", than for some magic claims of "just buy better sound".
Old 24th June 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
kuasalogam's Avatar
Behringer driver's sucks man. It pops out loudly when booting or shutting down the PC.
Sometimes it refuses to change sample rate. Say..., I open a 44.1k session, close it, and then open a 48k session.
Sometimes it crackles when I'm playing a song on my audio player-both on Winamp and iTunes-

For the drivers alone, I'll recommend Focusrite and Steinberg.
Old 24th June 2016
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasalogam View Post
Behringer driver's sucks man. It pops out loudly when booting or shutting down the PC.
Sometimes it refuses to change sample rate. Say..., I open a 44.1k session, close it, and then open a 48k session.
Sometimes it crackles when I'm playing a song on my audio player-both on Winamp and iTunes-

For the drivers alone, I'll recommend Focusrite and Steinberg.
2016 Winamp
Old 24th June 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
kuasalogam's Avatar
@ Mechacaseal : I had a feeling someone would make a comment abut that....
oh well, let's get back to the topic
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump