The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
$1,000 Complete Studio Setup Challenge
Old 11th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombilo View Post
Sorry, $1000 just wont get you a QUALITY "complete up-and-running home studio" solution. And it's better to be upfront and honest about these things than to sugarcoat it giving him high hopes.
I'm fairly new to the recording gear bit and even I know this is wrong. lol @ having to spend $1000 on a mic as if anything less is "garbage."

I'd say it's far better to be realistic about a person's budget and goals (not everyone is trying to win a grammy) than act like you have to buy really expensive equipment and if you don't, all you have is "k-mart quality" (etc etc) and dash someone's hopes that they have to spend more than they can afford (or even should spend) or else they're screwed. Tech has come a long way and there's some very fine yet relatively inexpensive stuff out there.

And frankly if all you're doing is rap or the like, you probably COULD use your cell phone and scarcely notice a diff (at least once you throw in the obligatory electronica and percussion).
Old 11th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I'm fairly new to the recording gear bit and even I know this is wrong. lol @ having to spend $1000 on a mic as if anything less is "garbage."

I'd say it's far better to be realistic about a person's budget and goals (not everyone is trying to win a grammy) than act like you have to buy really expensive equipment and if you don't, all you have is "k-mart quality" (etc etc) and dash someone's hopes that they have to spend more than they can afford (or even should spend) or else they're screwed. Tech has come a long way and there's some very fine yet relatively inexpensive stuff out there.

And frankly if all you're doing is rap or the like, you probably COULD use your cell phone and scarcely notice a diff (at least once you throw in the obligatory electronica and percussion).
thanks for your input. and good luck.
Old 11th June 2016
jpg
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrecording View Post
Check ebay.. there's some decent interfaces you can get for a few hundred used to put you in a good spot.. I'd spend a few hundred and make some diy acoustic panels.
I'd say if $1000 is your budget there's a lot of things better given a bigger budget like interfaces and mics than acoustic panels. Just record vocals and put your amps in the smallest room of the house and that's assuming you're recording all live instruments, if everything but vocals is digital then its a lot easier to get away without treatment.
Old 11th June 2016
Gear Nut

hey "there's some very fine yet relatively inexpensive stuff out there" bill5, just noticed your thread asking for advice on cheap mics...
Old 11th June 2016
Lives for gear

$350 S-47 Kit
$330 ISA One (ebay)
$260 MIYO
===
$940

That leaves $60 for some good mic cable and connectors, the rest on cheap stuff - stand, removal blankets etc. You can blag anything else from your mate with the studio. While you're borrowing his soldering station

OK I lied, you only have $50 left because I just spent $10 on a spares/repairs SM58. Which I just dropped
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombilo View Post
hey "there's some very fine yet relatively inexpensive stuff out there" bill5, just noticed your thread asking for advice on cheap mics...
I'd ask why that's funny if it clearly wouldn't be a waste of time.
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I'd ask why that's funny if it clearly wouldn't be a waste of time.
oh you... well, when ya pop into thread guns blazing at me, take my words and twist em way outta context, give inexperienced bad noob advice and then on top of that "lol" at me, when at the very same time in your other thread you're asking others for advice on dirt cheap mics... what do ya expect? It is funny and this thread is supposed to be "fun", so I am going to reply as such. go figure.
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Addict

Apogee mic and $10 headphone splitter.
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Head
hi ,

the question was about a setup to record vocals , so imo ,one mic just won't do this.

I also think any studio headphones is a good idea if the room is untreated.My suggestion doesnt not includes headphones cost cause you can add a pair of cheapo a bit later ,like the Senheiser's HD201 ($25). Personally I would n e v e r attempt mixing on NFMonitors with 5" inch drivers.

So here we go

1.Behringer FCA1616 $250 (plenty of inputs to record a singer or more at the same time ,like say in Stereo recording)
2.Behringer B2 Pro mic $150
3.Behringer C2 stereo mic set $50
4.KRK Rokit 8 ,$500 pair
6.Reaper $60

So , don't eat a pizza for one night ,save the extra $10 , ,
Recording vocals ,is largely about using the proper technique (s).This setup will allow for you and more people to get recorded using various techniques.I don't care about the room treatment because it's expensive to be done properly ,and you might expirement with blankets etc.

In case you are willing to raise the budget about $70 ,get Alesis v49 instead of reaper ,comes with lots of sounds and Ableton Live Alesis edition to get you started.
Old 14th June 2016
Here for the gear
Here we go... For the sake of simplicity, I'll do new gear only and challenge myself to not use a subscription of Pro Tools.

Quote:
Rode NT1A + Mic stand / Pop Filter / XLR combo $236
Presonus Audiobox 2x2 $98
Studio One 3 Artist - $0 after registering my cute little Audiobox
KRK Rokkit 8 G3 - $500/pair
Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones $99
And since sales tax where I'm from is 5.5%, we'll add that...

$984.32

Take the extra $15.68 and go buy a pair of cheap 1/4" TRS cables. Or conversely, don't eat out one night in the week and buy a pair of 1/4" to M XLRs.

I personally wouldn't be using Studio One, but if you're doing just vocals, it wouldn't really matter what you track through.

NT1A is a solid mic, I own one. Comes with a shock mount, pop filter, and stand. Stand is poo but whatever. It works.

Also, you can ditch the HD 280s for a 1/8"->1/4" adapter and just use your consumer headphones, save $100, and Chinese twice that week, along with buying the monitor cables.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Just do me a favor and don't call it a "home studio", call it a "recording nook." A "Home studio" would require close to $1,000 in room treatment before you even plugged in a mic cable.
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Just do me a favor and don't call it a "home studio", call it a "recording nook." A "Home studio" would require close to $1,000 in room treatment before you even plugged in a mic cable.
or a closet with some shirts in it
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechacaseal View Post
or a closet with some shirts in it
I guess I have a professional studio then cause my wife has about 50k in clothes in our walk in closet.
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurdler View Post
I guess I have a professional studio then cause my wife has about 50k in clothes in our walk in closet.
That would make a good album cover
Old 15th June 2016
Gear Nut

I would use the computer to find a deal on a
vs1680
Sm58
Some cheap headphones
Use the left over money for food and gas for the rest of the week
Old 20th June 2016
Here for the gear

1. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 $150
  2. Audio Technica AT4040 $200
  3. Yamaha HS5 $300

I'd invest the rest in plug ins. I used this set up earlier at a buddies house and the quality is great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search