The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus Sceptre S8 vs Eve Audio SC208/305 vs Genelec 8040B
Old 1st June 2016
Here for the gear

Presonus Sceptre S8 vs Eve Audio SC208/305 vs Genelec 8040B

I'm in the market for one of the following monitors:

- Genelec 8040B
- Eve Audio SC208
- Eve Audio SC305
- Presonus Sceptre S8

Since I live in an area where I can only listen to smaller Genelecs, auditioning some of these monitors is not possible. Any user experiences/observations from listening sessions would be very much appreciated (and comparisons more than welcome)!
Old 1st June 2016
Eve audio sc305 !
Old 1st June 2016
I haven't tried the Sceptre S8's but the S6's are working great for me.
Old 1st June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
I haven't tried the Sceptre S8's but the S6's are working great for me.
Im really interested in how good they are; how are (in your experience) the imaging and frequency response and do you find the sceptres lacking in any way?
Old 4th June 2016
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 4th June 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwruuska View Post
Im really interested in how good they are; how are (in your experience) the imaging and frequency response and do you find the sceptres lacking in any way?
Going from Event ASP8's to the Sceptre 6 Im finding I still want more girth/weight in the low end. The lows are tight and I can mix just fine but I need that low end when Im tracking if you will. I dont find any freq lacking per se though, Im getting the best mixes I have yet now. I was on the ASP8 for 7 yrs BTW so I was very used to that low bottom boom.

Imaging is really good IMO, I can hear better front to back/left to right and effects are easy to adjust now and not burried like the ASP8 felt with the dipped middle on those

I would probably get the S8 if I were buying again so I think Im gonna grab a sub to add to the bottom for when I feel I need it

Mids and highs are great on these with a tight sounding bottom, no smiley face curve going on with these
Old 7th June 2016
Here for the gear

Funny, I've kinda searched for a year for new speakers to replace my LSR305's and my list is scary similar to yours. After hearing EVE, Genelecs and Sceptres and many other not so good stuff, my list is:
- EVE SC208
- Sceptre S8
- Genelecs (M040, 8040, G Four)

Now I just have to get all of them together in my office for testing. Note I don't mix, just prefer good speakers. Hope more experienced folks can chime in...
Old 8th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsJokko View Post
Funny, I've kinda searched for a year for new speakers to replace my LSR305's and my list is scary similar to yours. After hearing EVE, Genelecs and Sceptres and many other not so good stuff, my list is:
- EVE SC208
- Sceptre S8

Now I just have to get all of them together in my office for testing. Note I don't mix, just prefer good speakers. Hope more experienced folks can chime in...
Haha that's a nice coincidence, actually. Shame that the price of the 8" sceptres went up by ~100€ in Europe though.
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Pickin monitors is pretty tricky.

For me translation is the most important quality. Example, I like how LSR 305 sound since they are really flattering (its nice when composing), I don't particulary like how Genelec 8040's sound (we have 8040s with s sub at studio) but Genelecs translate very well to other systems where 305s wont. That's my experience anyway. I agree that i'm comparing 300 euro system to 4000 euro system, so it's not very fair, but you get my point.

Besides its really important to know your speakers and your space, you can compensate a lot if you know how your monitoring is biased.

edit.

I would personally pick Genelec M040 or 8040s.
Old 9th June 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Going from Event ASP8's to the Sceptre 6 Im finding I still want more girth/weight in the low end.
I see so many people posting about not getting enough bass, and then having to turn around and start looking at adding a sub.

In that same price range are the APS Klasiks. Full low end is one of the areas where they best the competition. Imagery and depth is excellent and very revealing.

APS Klasik Active Monitors Review
Old 10th June 2016
Here for the gear

I also found the S6's was lacking low frequencies when i compared them to the SC207's. That's why I'm interested in S8's. They might be better in this regard.
Old 10th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsJokko View Post
- EVE SC208
- Sceptre S8

@ Jokk o , how does eves and sceptres compare to each other?
Old 11th June 2016
Here for the gear

My audition was brief, and I was hungover from the night before. Ask me late December, I will get all three for testing once I get my christmas bonus.
Old 2nd March 2018
Here for the gear

Jokko, Which ones did you finally decide on? I'm also in a similar boat deciding betweem Eve sc208 and Sceptre S8
Old 22nd May 2018
On their promotional literature, Presonus encourage you to compare the Sceptres with the most expensive monitors in the shop.

Well I recently did just that, taking my S8’s into an extremely well treated demo studio and setting them up right alongside the massively lauded Genelec SAM 8341 - aka “The Ones”

If you’re not yet aware of these Genelec's, they'd have to one the most unanimously praised monitors on the planet - and they're priced accordingly.

Listening to a wide range of detailed material, the Sceptre S8's did NOT disappoint - I actually preferred them, as the imaging was superior, the soundstage was larger, the bass porting is at the front, and not a single ounce of detail was missing.

Pretty amazing given the whopping cost difference.

If you read these consumer reviews, you'll notice there's a bit of a pattern - Everyone seems to agree that the Sceptres are the best they've heard, and their search has ended. I'd totally concur.

I also ended up buying the Temblor T10 sub. But as the S8's had sufficiently low reach, the sub was better moved to the home cinema, paired with the similarly fantastic Presonus StudioLive 315AI - also highly recommend.
(They share a lot of common design with the S8 and are actually flat enough to be used as mid-field mixing monitors in a large enough environment.)

The legendary designer, Dave Gunness, deserves much of the credit for both.

I've gone from being indifferent about Presonus... to being one of their biggest fans!!

Old 2nd May 2019
Here for the gear

have you found something? I am in the same dilemma as you
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
Pickin monitors is pretty tricky.

For me translation is the most important quality. Example, I like how LSR 305 sound since they are really flattering (its nice when composing), I don't particulary like how Genelec 8040's sound (we have 8040s with s sub at studio) but Genelecs translate very well to other systems where 305s wont. That's my experience anyway. I agree that i'm comparing 300 euro system to 4000 euro system, so it's not very fair, but you get my point.

Besides its really important to know your speakers and your space, you can compensate a lot if you know how your monitoring is biased.

edit.

I would personally pick Genelec M040 or 8040s.
Even if it´s an old post I do agree completely. I have the JBL LSR 305 for composing/arranging in my home setup and the 8040b in my project studio where I do all my "serious" recordings as well as mixing and mastering. I´m absolutely satisfied with those two setups. And I´ve owned and used many, many monitors in the last 20 years.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

I've had the Scepter 8's for a while now. I recently mixed a double live album for a worship group that came out well - rave reviews. My Fav track on it is Fuego De Gloria. I am working on their next project now.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/pr...run/1451325139

I use an M-audio sub in a strange way. I use a switch witch allow me to run things in parallel. I can flip my sub on and off. My S8s run full range. The sub is crossed over at 50-60hz. I can't stand the common overlap in the bass guitar range. I can tell you that judging effects and overall translation have been fantastic. I knew I would have to spend at least $3K plus to replace them - anything below that would be a lateral move and waste of money.

I decided to try to upgrade. My goal was to make faster mix decisions and shorten production time. I used a set of PSI A21Ms for a while. I did not get to full on mix with them. Here's what the differences were.

1. The Presonus were fuller sounding, the PSIs were very lean
2. They both present a full picture though it is presented differently, because of above. I would describe the tonal difference as an American muscle car vs an F1
3. The PSI's, being leaner had more space in the sound and depth
4. The PSI's provided more detail - really killer

I had to give the PSIs up and am back on the S8s. They still are fantastic. They kept up with the $6K pair of boxes about 80%. When I actually can upgrade, it will again have to be a very big jump in cost to bring enough quality to be worth it.

Just my .02
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Also, as an S8 user, I wouldn't even spend time listening to the Eve's or the 8000 series Genelecs. I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the S8's with anything near their price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search