The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for advice on getting first pair of serious monitors for home studio
Old 27th May 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Looking for advice on getting first pair of serious monitors for home studio

Hi,

I'm getting ready to get a 'serious' pair of monitors for the first time for a home studio set up that I'm making and am having trouble figuring out what to get.

I've found a Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 on craigslist for 350 total, (which includes 2 speakers and a sub) but it's difficult for me to find much information on it this company or system compared to the two other options.

As of now, I'm between getting 2 Genelec 8010As, or 2 Yamaha HS8's, both of which I've found for the same price (350 per monitor) Twice as expensive as the blue sky but might be necessary.

One of my bosses uses Genelec (8030's in 5.1 set up, to be fair) at my workplace, and they sound amazing, but the Yamaha HS8's seem like I might get more out of them, but I'm not sure if it's better sound quality than the Genelec or if the louder volume output I might get from the Yamaha's is necessary since I will be pretty close to them and the space itself is small.

Will be using these for both sound editing (for film) as well as mixing and producing music.

Any input would much appreciated and if you have other suggestions on what to get, I'm all ears. Other questions---what sort of minimal interface would be optimal to connect my computer to the speakers? (Will be using a Macbook w/o firewire cable as the main audio output for the time being).
Old 27th May 2016
  #2
If you are doing film as well, go with Blue Sky. Youll need the sub for the film/motion picture work and 3.1 , 2.1 work flow.
Old 28th May 2016
  #3
Here for the gear
 

But if were I to add on a sub for the Genelecs or the Yamahas later, would that make those preferable?
Old 29th May 2016
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
metatron13's Avatar
 

In a small space - you may want Yamaha hs7's they are supposedly more suited for this purpose - a little more balanced and less bass - which actually helps in a small space. The genelecs I have used have been really nice 8050's. They sound great. I have no experience with blue sky myself. One of my friends uses the hs8's in a big room and he likes them!
Old 29th May 2016
  #5
Fluid Audio FX8 . Because you get down till 35 hz and its co axial design . Best bet for the price IMO
Old 30th May 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Marando's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Fluid Audio FX8 . Because you get down till 35 hz and its co axial design . Best bet for the price IMO
When a speaker manufacturer states a frequency response of 35hz to 22kHz without stating how much +/- dB it is, it's probably +/- 10dB, like how the cheap Yamaha monitors are advertised. I know why cheap brands do it and I think it's bad practise. Someone without knowledge might believe these Fluid monitors provide the same experience as Event Opals, with regards to the frequency response, but in reality they can't even come close to the low frequency authority of the Opals.

I'm not saying the Fluid monitors are necessarily bad monitors, I just wish they would state their frequency response correctly.
Old 30th May 2016
  #7
Using acoustic treatment on the mirror-points of your mix position will make whichever speakers you buy sound much more expensive.

Quote:
Also important in monitoring rooms is the control of early reflections. When a speaker cone is driven, it disperses acoustic energy to the listener's ears directly, and also to the walls and ceiling of the room. Uncontrolled, these early reflections bounce back into the room and reach the listener a few milliseconds later than the direct sounds, because of the additional distance they've had to travel. Unless in a large room, this delay is not perceivable as a different sound; instead it disturbs the phase, and therefore the clarity, of the sound. To keep early reflections on a tight leash, the 'mirror points' of the room should be identified and treated. To do this, sit in the listening position and 'guesstimate' where a mirror would have to be placed to enable you to see each monitor cone from the sweet spot. Then apply absorption to these points. A 'ceiling cloud' can be positioned in a similar way, to control vertical reflections.
Source: A Beginners’ Guide To Acoustic Treatment
Old 31st May 2016
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
When a speaker manufacturer states a frequency response of 35hz to 22kHz without stating how much +/- dB it is, it's probably +/- 10dB, like how the cheap Yamaha monitors are advertised. I know why cheap brands do it and I think it's bad practise. Someone without knowledge might believe these Fluid monitors provide the same experience as Event Opals, with regards to the frequency response, but in reality they can't even come close to the low frequency authority of the Opals.

I'm not saying the Fluid monitors are necessarily bad monitors, I just wish they would state their frequency response correctly.
Ya I agree they should mention it. There are a few good reviews though comparing it preferably to krk vxt
Old 1st June 2016
  #9
Here for the gear
 

I'm a big fan of Yamaha myself. I had the same decision to make on monitors and actually went with the msp7s cause they sounded flatter to my ears than the HS8s.
Old 3rd June 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerwhat View Post
Hi,

I'm getting ready to get a 'serious' pair of monitors for the first time for a home studio set up that I'm making and am having trouble figuring out what to get.

I've found a Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 on craigslist for 350 total, (which includes 2 speakers and a sub) but it's difficult for me to find much information on it this company or system compared to the two other options.

As of now, I'm between getting 2 Genelec 8010As, or 2 Yamaha HS8's, both of which I've found for the same price (350 per monitor) Twice as expensive as the blue sky but might be necessary.

One of my bosses uses Genelec (8030's in 5.1 set up, to be fair) at my workplace, and they sound amazing, but the Yamaha HS8's seem like I might get more out of them, but I'm not sure if it's better sound quality than the Genelec or if the louder volume output I might get from the Yamaha's is necessary since I will be pretty close to them and the space itself is small.

Will be using these for both sound editing (for film) as well as mixing and producing music.

Any input would much appreciated and if you have other suggestions on what to get, I'm all ears. Other questions---what sort of minimal interface would be optimal to connect my computer to the speakers? (Will be using a Macbook w/o firewire cable as the main audio output for the time being).

Blue Sky is an awesome company that makes great monitors. They're huge in the post and commercial business. The Media Desk system isn't one of their great systems though. The power is lacking. I almost went with their System 2.1 which is excellent but will cost you around $700 used.

I've used the Yamaha HS80m and have nothing but great things to say about them. Most folks will tell you they are dead accurate but also fatiguing after a while. I'm using Dynaudio BM5A with a sub right now. You should check the online used gear sections of a few of the major gear retailers. I paid almost nothing for my used Dynaudios.
Old 17th June 2016
  #11
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Ya I agree they should mention it. There are a few good reviews though comparing it preferably to krk vxt
Frequency response: 35 Hz – 22 kHz (+/-3dB)
Black - Fluid Audio
Old 17th June 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Marando's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfal View Post
Frequency response: 35 Hz – 22 kHz (+/-3dB)
Black - Fluid Audio
Good to see that they updated their website with this info! Also good to see it's +/- 3dB and not 6 or even 10dB.
Old 18th June 2016
  #13
Gear Addict
 
BazzBass's Avatar
Yamaha HS5s will do great in a small room. These 5" speakers produce enough bass for me to use it as my practice rig for bass
Old 19th June 2016
  #14
Gear Head
 

Go for the JBL LSR308.
Flat frequency response for their price range. YAMAHA is also a good option
Old 19th June 2016
  #15
Here for the gear
 
Miltop's Avatar
 

HS8s are most likely a bit large for your space, unless you're in a huge room. I'd go for the genelecs personally.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump