The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What next?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

What next?

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a while (helped me with some purchases I made) and I finally have a question to ask you good people.

I'm relatively new to the whole recording scene, but I am about to go to school for it in September, what a great passion this has become!

I'm running a laptop studio (Macbook Pro DualCore) with a Digi 002r (with the Factory bundle) a PodXT for guitars (I'm going to be living in an apartment, so micing a proper amp wouldn't be feasible) an MXL V67, Shure SM57, an M-Audio Keystation (it was free, not a big fan of the feel of it, though it's fine for basic synth) and a pair of Sennheiser HD280s.

I'm wondering, what is the next purchase I want to make? I intend to blow this little laptop studio into a nice home studio eventually, so I want to make purchases that will be beneficial for a while. Do I want preamps? Monitors? A Mixing board? Some plug-ins or maybe some outboard compressors/eqs? Like I said I want what I buy to be valuable for the long-term so money is only moderately an issue.

Thanks so much, I look forward to discussing some gear with you all!

Alex
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

I would say, and I know a lot less the some of these guys, but you might want to look at a chanel strip, or at least a pre.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

you have some basics, so keep having fun with them and put the cash into a high interest account. when you have more education you will find out for your self what you need. having 3k set aside gives you alot of freedom when you decide want you want next and earns you the few more bucks that take care of the unexpected expences so you can still buy the thing you really want.

or get some decent monitors so you arnt limited to headphones.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Put the machine maintenance first, without that you have nothing, no matter what other toys you have!
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
you have some basics, so keep having fun with them and put the cash into a high interest account. when you have more education you will find out for your self what you need. having 3k set aside gives you alot of freedom when you decide want you want next and earns you the few more bucks that take care of the unexpected expences so you can still buy the thing you really want.

or get some decent monitors so you arnt limited to headphones.
That's a very good point, and I think the answer I probably need to hear the most.

That being said, just so I can keep my eyes open for the future (and present, I like to keep a handle on the gear/tools available in my field of study, probably came from my days as a carpenter) what are some things I'm going to be looking to buy assuming money is not at all an issue, especially in the monitor area. (though with a non-acoustically treated room, are monitors even useful?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
Put the machine maintenance first, without that you have nothing, no matter what other toys you have!
Would you mind explaining what you mean by "machine maintenance"? Do you mean using all my mics often so they don't "go bad" (again, still pretty new to this whole game) or just making sure dust, etc. stay away from the interface and the rest of the gear?
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

When I was in your position (recording DI through a Pod) I picked up a couple of Presonus Tube Pre's. I found that they warmed up the Pod signal.
If you're going to do vocals I agree that a good channel strip would be a long lasting investment.
Look around for something used that gives you some compression and EQ....something like that will find a useful place in your future studio.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

A good channel strip that will be useful for a long time will be something like the Joemeek 6Q.

I would put a priority on monitors, though. If you are concerned about your space then I would address that at the same time. Monitors and a bit of room treatment will help the final product more than anything else, considering what you already have.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Monitors and acoustic treatment for your tracking/mixing room.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Sounds like you have a great start.
Just like everyone said above. Monitors and room treatment. If you cant hear what your tracking or mixing well?? Im sure you get the idea. I would save a few bucks and get some decent ones. You will be much happier and your mix decisions will be better right off the bat.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrocker View Post

Would you mind explaining what you mean by "machine maintenance"? Do you mean using all my mics often so they don't "go bad" (again, still pretty new to this whole game) or just making sure dust, etc. stay away from the interface and the rest of the gear?
I am referring to the computer itself.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Head

Thanks to everyone for the help, and for sure room treatment/monitors are definitely important. But if this whole setup is going to be living in my bedroom (at least, until I move into a place that has a room I can acoustically treat) are monitors still worth it since my bedroom probably won't be that acoustically sound?

I'm thinking maybe a channel strip or a tube preamp would serve me better (I'm playing mostly instrumental music, kind of a Godspeed/Mogwai mix) until I move into a room that will sound good enough to do a nice pair of monitors justice, though I may be completely off the bat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search