The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Some upgrade help!
Old 8th February 2007
Some upgrade help!

I hate asking this question but whenever i get ready to make a big purchase i wonder if thats really what would be most beneficial to making my home studio overall sound better. So here i am again asking your guys opinion.
Lets start with what i have:
Dell comp 2.8ghz 512 ram
Sonar 5 PE
Motu 896
Joe Meek TwinQ
Alesis M1 Active monitors
Mics: Cad m9 tube condenser, 2x mxl 603s, audix i5, sm57, AKG D112, behringer b2 condenser, and some audio technica dynamic vocal mics.

Ive been considering getting lots of different things just ughh dont know where to start. I do all my recording in my basement...sound treated the best i can with stuff i have...loads of blankets hung and cubicle dividers, pillows etc...its not my house so i cant knock down walls and put up walls or glue things to walls or do any crazy sound treatment so thats kinda outta the question. I was considering buying a sytek recently which would be about 700 bucks used. Cause i thought 4 more nice preamp channels would help...especially on drums. But then I thought maybe that money could be spent better elsewhere??

Other things ive thought about:
New monitors - not sure which ive heard to save up and go all out though dont think 700 would cut it?
Another preamp -like i mentioned the sytek or maybe a rnp, bg-1, etc? Would prefer something rack mountable and at least two channels.
Mics - new overheads possibly AT atm450.....or maybe get and audix d6 or cad m179 or Senn e609 or a ribbon mic maybe the new Cad trion?
Last thing I was considering was upgrading the motu 896 to a better unit there....not sure what to though!

So give me your thoughts on all this if you can...budget is 600-700 and if its something i can sell and old thing when i get (ie monitors) then i guess you could add that to the budget.
Old 9th February 2007
Anyone...suggestions?
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Nut

If you don't really have a "need" for anything right now, just save it. Wait till you get a few more hundred and buy something that would really benefit you.

You never know, something might crap out next week, and then you could spend the money on a top quality replacement.

That'd be my suggestion.

What are you using to mic drums?
Old 11th February 2007
Not a bad idea....for drum mics I use the mxl 603s as a pair of overheads...then use a d112 on the kick....either the sm57 or i5 on snare...depends on the day haha...and then whichever im not using i stick on the tom used most in that song...then cover the rest of the toms with the audio technica mics i have. Sometimes ill use the cad m9 as a room mic...thats my usual drum setup.
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
Not a bad idea....for drum mics I use the mxl 603s as a pair of overheads...then use a d112 on the kick....either the sm57 or i5 on snare...depends on the day haha...and then whichever im not using i stick on the tom used most in that song...then cover the rest of the toms with the audio technica mics i have. Sometimes ill use the cad m9 as a room mic...thats my usual drum setup.
Hmm, well if you want to have "dedicated" tom mics, you might want to consider the sennheiser E-604's. You get 3 clipon mics for $350.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Naiant MSH-1 Omni-Condensers for mad cheap to play around with, but only if you have a decent sounding room. Or else you might get some awful results with the omni.

Also, if you want a great LDC, you can go for the OktavaMod MK-219, which I hear is an overall great mic for the price. Or get the MK-012's and use them as overheads. I've heard great things about both.

Or if you want to go big, save up for an Earthworks Drumkit Recording Package, you'd be amazed at how good a drumkit would sound with 3 mics and a $100 kickpad. Total is bout $1700 tho...

I think your at a point where you can continue to buy cheap/mid-grade microphones, or buy expensive one's that you'll use and keep forever, so choose wisely if you do decide on any of those.

But if you just feel the need for something new, maybe try making your own Subkick out of a speaker, combined with your d112 it will make your kick sound huge. There's a bunch of forums I'm reading through, and if you've got the speaker and parts laying around you could probably get away with it for free.

Hmm, that should keep you busy for now...
Old 11th February 2007
Yea well ive been trying to think of mics that i probably would use forever...like the audix d6 or the senn e609....those are mics i would never get rid of unless i really hated the way they sounded once i got them. Thats why im wary to upgrade my condensers both ldc and sdc because when i do i kinda wanna go all out and get something i know ill always love. That will run me a lot of loot sooo...might hold off on the condenser for the time being. Although i had heard that the AT atm450 wound quite excellent on drums oh i just dont know if they are that much of an improvement over what i use to warrant spending that money on them, especially since no one has raved about them doing much else. As for the toms i dont want clip on mics...to much rattle in the toms will be translated into the mics would rather use all boom stands. Thanks for the suggestions...still have more reading to do
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
Yea well ive been trying to think of mics that i probably would use forever...like the audix d6 or the senn e609....those are mics i would never get rid of unless i really hated the way they sounded once i got them. Thats why im wary to upgrade my condensers both ldc and sdc because when i do i kinda wanna go all out and get something i know ill always love. That will run me a lot of loot sooo...might hold off on the condenser for the time being. Although i had heard that the AT atm450 wound quite excellent on drums oh i just dont know if they are that much of an improvement over what i use to warrant spending that money on them, especially since no one has raved about them doing much else. As for the toms i dont want clip on mics...to much rattle in the toms will be translated into the mics would rather use all boom stands. Thanks for the suggestions...still have more reading to do
Tru, well like I said saving it might be your best option. Keep an eye on craigslist for those mics, or the classifieds here, you never know when you'll find a great deal.
Old 11th February 2007
Thats what i always do...since im never in a rush...never pay full price for anything...always wait for the deal...
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

if you are considering new monitors adam a7's are nice. they are 1000$ a pair.
sytek is a life saver. It's incredible on acoustic guitars. very good transient response and lots of clean gain. I own one and never regreted having one.
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

By the way first check it with your motu. When tracking drums it's output might be too high for your soundcard's headroom. (gain at zero and still clipping) sytek does have no pad.
Old 12th February 2007
The motu does have a switch in the back that goes from fixed input, to mic input to line level...ive used other preamps with it set on fixed (my twinQ) and it works fine...plenty of headroom...is the sytek that hot? I was really considering getting that as my next preamp...just wasnt sure if i should use the money on mics or something else first....ive heard great things about the adam a7s as well...
Old 12th February 2007
Anyone ever use the mackie 1620 board with firewire...how would this compare to a motu896...think it would be an upgrade at all?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search