The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
at what point in the mix do you strap on headphones?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

at what point in the mix do you strap on headphones?

just curious. i'm stuck mixing a track i really can't stand... when listening on speakers (NS10s), my gut tells me to bring the drums up, which then means i need to bring up the bass, then the synths, then the percussion.. then i'm +2 at the mix buss and irate that i'm stuck in a bind in a ****ty song!

i put on headphones (7506s), tweak the kick sound some, bring up the bass and do a slight sidechain, and everything falls into place w/ 6dB to spare on the master. granted, going back to the monitors some sounds get re-tweaking but... the cans have consistently proven to be much more productive in situations where i've got a crappy song to deal with.

I'm sure it's some psychoacoustical thing... my room isn't 100% but i've gotten plenty of good, solid, transparent and well-translateable mixes in it.

anyone else have moments where they're finding they're more productive in headphones rather than monitors?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I also prefer my headphones to NS10's... dfegad

It could be your room, or maybe you're accustomed to your headphones. Or maybe your NS10's are revealing more than your headphones, so you could be fooling yourself.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeReKeTe View Post
anyone else have moments where they're finding they're more productive in headphones rather than monitors?
Never........

but whatever works is fine as long as the mixes translate well to the real world

Quote:
the cans have consistently proven to be much more productive in situations where i've got a crappy song to deal with.
A crappy song will always be a crappy song even with a well balanced mix

Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

<<at what point in the mix do you strap on headphones?>>

at the point where all 5 band members are over my shoulder saying, "turn ME up."
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeReKeTe View Post
just curious.

I used to do this a lot untill I got my Adam A7's. What I found is my old speakers would lie about low mids and ESPECIALLY the amount of reverb being used.

Of course you should check on phones, small speakers (computer speakers) etc. before calling it good. Or at least I do. Makes for a sense of security knowing it translates.

As STEVEP said:
Quote:
"A crappy song will always be a crappy song even with a well balanced mix"
Remeber... you cant polish a terd but you sure can hide it in the corner.
(im sure i got that on here somewhere)
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
<<at what point in the mix do you strap on headphones?>>

at the point where all 5 band members are over my shoulder saying, "turn ME up."
hahahahahaha

how come bands don't understand how effect 'turning down' is?

Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear
not just bands

I was at a club in Portland OR last night where the soundcheck sounded pretty good. I would have pulled the vocal down 3dB in the mains (or limited, + LP ), but thats just me ( I can hear fine). By the 2nd song, the guitarist wanted more guitar (less vocal, right?) and I wanted less gut-churning flabby sub-bass (musicianship good, PA less-so), . But...the longer the PA guy went at it, the bigger and lower the bass-boom got, overall level (and distortion) went up, and sucking set in. Even a pint of local porter couldn't remove the edge.

Turning down and getting a good balance for the musicians would have made a lot more sense than "everything louder than everything else". PA operator was wearing closed headphones probably to protect from overexposure. Bar girl was SOL.

This was a country-honk show, not a hip-hop event. I expect low-distortion, high-intelligibility, and levels that allow simple discussions at the bar 50 feet away from the stage. Not my place to make suggestions to the soundman, only recourse is earplugs, then leaving.

kk.
Old 8th February 2007
usually around 10pm.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I confess.....I do all of my mixing with headphones (Ultrasone)......got to - the studio is just off the TV room. I make time to put the mixes up on the monitors for (psuedo)mastering but I'm always more comfortable with the Ultrasones.
That said....the mix must check well in all of my favorite listening environments, my favorite being my F-350 diesel.

Could be a thread there....odd listening strategies.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

i check my mixes towards the very end of the process using a pair of sennheiser HD280s and a pair of HD580s.

i can't mix on em--they don't translate for crap--the bass ends up all wrong, the panning isn't realistic, etc........but they're very useful for referencing to see what a mix sounds like on headphones.

usually i need to make a tweak or two to the reverb, as that's what they're most useful for hearing......although, since i started using a pair of ASP8's as my monitors, i've been able to hear a LOT better inside reverbs.

cheers,
wade

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search