The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
small diaphragm condensers - $200-ish
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

small diaphragm condensers - $200-ish

Inspired by another thread, I was browsing Warren's site and noticed that there is a pretty wide selection of small diaphragm condensers in the $200 range ... just looking at the cardiods ...

AudioTechnica AT3031, ATM450
Audix ADX51
Shure KSM109, SM94, Beta 98/S
AKG C430, C1000S

I've only used the C1000S among these (and the AT4041, which costs a bit more). I'd be interested to hear what people think of them. Which ones sound like they shouldn't cost only $200?

JSL
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
I've only used the C1000S among these (and the AT4041, which costs a bit more). I'd be interested to hear what people think of them. Which ones sound like they shouldn't cost only $200?
Well, I think the C1000S sound like they shouldn't cost $200... they should cost $49.95.

Add the KEL HM-1 to your list. They're up to what, $129/each now? Those sure sound like they shouldn't cost $129...they probably shouldn't cost $200 either. In a true meritocracy they'd probably cost $300/each. Whadda I know, I'm babbling now...
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Add the KEL HM-1 to your list...
I've pumped these before, and I got them at the intro price of 70 bucks (I think, they were something around there).

Good deal!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, those Kels are fantastic. If you're looking for drum overheads, the Kels are excellent.

If you're not looking specifically for overheads, I've been very happy with the Chinese knockoff Oktava MC012's. They're around $150/pair. They've been stellar for me on cymbal close-mics, acoustic guitars, snare, and piano.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Another vote for the KEL HM-1
Great for OH'S, and don't mind the price, they are great.....period......
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

I'd look at the Oktava MK-012 made in Russia. These sound nice as Overheads and should be under $200 used.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

i live so much of my life in mono and doing simple (3-4mics max) drum miccing, I still stand behind the "buy one sorta ok, decent mic" as opposed to a "stereo pair" of $49 mics....

Whats a turd sound like in stereo?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

Hah, glad to know this thread was inspired by me. I wouldn't have considered it hi-jacking, but i now what you mean.

Keep it up.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
AKG C430
NASTY. tinny, shrill, noisy, brittle. had a pair, sold 'em. felt like an idiot for having 'em.

the 1 things they were ok on, surprisingly, was snare drum; they did have decent overhead and could take the transients ok. but as overheads or general mics? yech.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

i'm sure i'm gonna get burned for saying this, but my MXL 603's do an excellent job at micing my Martin D15 and many other acoustic guitars i've tried them on. I got them for $100 for the pair. they're also excellent snare mics (both over and under).

as overheads, though, not so much. the HF bump they've got really seems to clash with cymbals and they don't sound good--just cheap.

but on acoustic, i think they really kill.

cheers,
wade
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

don't forget the rode nt5s.. and the studio projects c4s.. and the fact that brand new russian mk012s are only $175 a piece so you don't need to get used ones..
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

So...

What about Apex or Cascade SDCs for (mainly) OH? I'm thinking of picking up a pair of either for project use. I was going to grab a pair of the MXL 990/991 packs, but maybe I'll settle for two better mics as opposed to four meh mics.

Opinions?
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

real 012's are hard to beat...new or used. I have friends that like the 603's also.

Stay away from the Berry B-5 or whatever its model is.. terrible.

I still like the C-1000 too, and I wont run and hide!!
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Russian Oktavas could be a better bet than the Chinese ones for consistency's sake, from what I've heard. I'm a bit prejudiced against a lot of the openly Chinese-made mics, as well as Nady mics and so on, because what I've read about them suggests buying one without really trying it out first (that actual unit) can be a bit of a lottery. Two units won't necessarily sound that similar, and so many fail so soon, blah blah.

I'd look at the sE Electronics range (SE1, SE2A, SE3), Røde NT3 & NT5, etc. Haven't actually tried any of them, but they've all had some positive reviews. I guess that, of all them, the NT3 has most in common technically with the AKG C1000S, which might make me a bit suspicious of the NT3... but it's worth a try.
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
I'd strongly consider Russian MK-012's modified by Oktavamod.
Sounds like a good idea. I've been eying the se3's used. I wonder, regardless of the $$, what sounds nicer. The modded Oktavas or the SE3's? Anyone have any thoughts? Also, as a reference I know well, how do these compare to the shure sm81s?
Old 12th February 2007
TYY
Gear Addict

I have the C4s, and they are quite nice. Kinda bright, but relatively silky top end. MUCH smoother and less crispy/harsh than the MXL603 which I also own. At one point I had a pair of nice Gefell SMS2000 in hyper and although they were less hyped and more natural, I sold them and kept the C4 pair. Kinda cheap looking/feeling, but sound and work great.
Old 12th February 2007
Gear Nut

I've been using a pair of Sterling ST33's lately and i'm pretty impressed. $199 ea with an aluminum case, low roll off and -15db pad, very accurate on acoustic guitar, lots of body but in some cases a bit too much pick noise. on vocals, nice body and very accurate, but on screams they need the pad or else it's bad news city. not much proximity effect and not very sibilant either, however, neither were the vocalists that they were used on.

i have yet to use them on OH's yet, but so far i expect good things and i've only heard positive reviews from people i know that have used them on OH's.

so, my vote goes to the ST33's.

note: they're actually a bit bigger than an sdc, i guess putting them in the medium diapragm category, but i still give them my vote.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search