The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Temporary vocal booth solutions?
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Temporary vocal booth solutions?

Hi there, I'm after a cheap solution for vocal recording (rap).

I've currently living in a very small place with no room to set up a proper vocal booth. I'm after a solution that will improve my vocal recordings temporarily until I move into my new place in 6 months or so.

As it won't be for long I don't want too spend much. At the moment a bedroom is my temp vocal booth (complete with bed etc all still in there because it's still used!) so keep that in mind.

I'm thinking of something sound deadening that I could hang up and take down when needed? There's no room for anything solid.

If it makes any different the mic being used is a Peluso 251 ran through a Purple BIZ.

Let me know what you can think of!

Cheers.
Old 7th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

Moving blankets! Other kinds of blankets if you have them.

Use them liberally behind you and behind the mic.

Space them out to taste.

Temporary and cheap.

War
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I built a vocal booth in a large walkin closet in my apartment. I built frames out of wood, filled them with 4" OC 703 and wrapped them in fabric. Since its an apartment, I didnt want to screw anything into the walls or ceiling of the closet (its my landlords prized cedar closet that he made himself). So I made it in sections, which were maticulously measured, so that each piece would snugly fit into place. I had to whack each panel into place with a rubber mallet, but the whole thing is super sturdy. And the sound is UNBELIEVEABLE!!!! Not a subtle improvement, I mean night and day.

When I move out, I'll take the panels out, and use them for my next booth.

It wound up being a little pricey, $500ish, but it was worth every penny. I get pro quality recordings, I dont piss off my landlord, and I can take the whole thing with me when I move out.

You could build some panels and use door hinges to hold them together. When youre finished, un-hinge the panels and put them under your bed, or in the closet.

I know you dont want to spend a lot of loot because you look at this as a temporary solution, with this method you could use it where ever you move to. to me, its worth it because of the results you'll get.

OC 703 is a studio's best friend

I'll post pics soon.

Last edited by Chaotic; 7th February 2007 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: additions
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

se electronics, sm pro audio, and real traps all have mic stand-mounted acoustic devices that could help. realtraps even calls theirs the "portable vocal booth."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search