The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
which digital mixer to go for
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

which digital mixer to go for

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Ive been a long time lurker and finally have a question to post.

Ive been looking all around the forums reading about the dm24, d8b, da7, 02r, 01v.... but cant seem to choose what to get for my setup. Each has their own limitations.

My limit is max at 1500: heres what I need it for, maybe you guys could help me out.

I want to send this unit to my profire via adat at 48khz 24bit and use the console also for automation in both protools and logic.

I also need 8 preamps for it. I have an 800r that Ill be using primarily for pres, but when the time comes that I need more pres, it would be nice to have the pres from the console feed the extra signals.

which would be my best bet?

I record a bunch of synths, live drums, vocals.... for electronic/rock type of music.

Would the automation be fed through the midi inputs (noticed some dont have usb connections, just midi- so im guessing it sends through mtc). if so, does it take much bandwidth?

I have a motu midi timepiece av that I use for my midi routing.

So far I hear bad things about every single one of the consoles mentioned except for the da7, very little disdain in comparison to the others- im guessing less users of it. Will this device be good for automated purposes also?

thanks in advance!

this forum rocks.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

If you can get your hands on a Yamaha O2r that would work perfect for your set up, I have one in one of my rooms I use it with a Alesis hd24 digital hard disk recorder it has automation that has to be fed thru a midi sequencer. Looks like you have the pieces to make it work, make sure the o2r has the Adat cards in it or you can buy them on ebay. This mixer was like $12,000 new I have seen them on Ebay for under $2,000
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

does the 02r do 24 bit? I think I read somewhere that it only goes up to 20 bit.

Ive been thinking about this machine, I read people were having problems using automation with newer versions of protools, is this true??
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I've been using a 01V96 for a couple of years now, with a HD24 and DP via a motu 2408. If you have a daw, it's easier to just do your automation in the daw by drawing volume curves. With the 2408 (2 units accessing one PCI card in the Mac) I have 48 channel i/o, if I need it, (even though the mixer only goes to 40 i/o.) The mixer has 12 pres, with direct outs, so you can route the signal of a pre via a insert cable without using up a mixer channel. Or you can use the mixer channel and route the output of a pre to a adat lightpipe bank, giving you 8 pres for one lightpipe.
I've heard the Yamaha is much easier to use than the tascam DM24, which I'm sure you'll discover if you do a search. The Yamaha has memory for 99 scenes, and the memory is downloadable via midi, so you can recall old projects. Considering that the 01v96 is a couple of years old, it might be good to see what the latest crop of products looks like, but I can't think of a single new feature I'd want. The thing just works, and there's not much of a learning curve.
I would be wary of anything under 24 bits.
Old 16th April 2007
Gear Addict

I too am a BIG Yamaha 01V96V2 mixer fan. It really is very good and easy to work with. Very good control surface. I also have the REV-X reverbs add on effects in the board and they are very nice. It is very well worth the money. I woudn't buy an 02R unless you got it really cheap. You really want to record at 24bit these days.

Gary
Old 16th April 2007
Gear Addict

i have a ramsa DA7 for sale with meter bridge and 3 adat cards. very nice console. PM if interested.
Old 17th April 2007
Gear Nut

+3 for 01v96v2 great console.

havent got any problems till now, very clean pres (not much usable gain...works fine with condensers but dont even try ribbons) almost decent clock .. average but nice sounding converters.....as a control surface it has served me very well since it uses mackie s hui protocol , nice eqs (i preffer the eqII kinda analog?) decent dig comps.........if using adat please use decent cables.......(same as spdif) id recommend getting the dual adat expansion........hmm what else ...i really like the fx they sound very clean (they r supposed to sound similar to the fx on the dm2000, they run through 58 bit acumulators) as for sample rate i only use it at 44 and 48 ....at 88 and 96 the oversampling goes down to 64 times......

things i dont like bout it:

non touch sensitive faders (auto touch mode pretty useless)
crappy jog wheel (should have been more like the pm5d wheel)
doesnt have encoder for each channel
doesnt have meters!!!!!!!!!!1!!! yamaha bastards! its not that hard to include a meters port!
the construction in general could be more solid
but hey!!!!!!!! its a great bargain for the price 2100 dees are nothing for what it offers!!!

one thing i like .........it loookss so much like the dm1000

enough!!!
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

I just picked up a 01V96V2, and am still integrating it into my system.
I'm still having problems getting the ADAT and/or SPDIF to sync. with my Scope Pro audio cards in a brand new computer.

It's been 4 years since I've done any type of studio upgrade, and would really like to get this system configured properly.

My main DAW is Samplitude Pro V10.

By chance anyone out there using the Yamaha AND Scope?
(I'm posting in parallel on planetz.com forum as well).

Thanks!

Greg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search