The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap place to get auralex in europe?
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Cheap place to get auralex in europe?

Im looking to get a pack of Auralex 2" Studiofoam Wedge and its really cheap in the states but the lowest i can find it in europe is dolphin music at 450 euro. That 150 euro difference? Sad but true!!

Any one know of any dealers that are cheaper? Living in Ireland by the way.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I would check out ebay if you are wanting it super cheap. I got a ton of 2" foam off of there brand new for about 1/5 the cost.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

You might try asking these guys if they ship to Europe:

http://www.foambymail.com/

Its not the Auralex brand but the same type of stuff. I've ordered from them a few times with great results.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Make sure to get some broadband traps also. Whether from Ethan or Glen or make them yourself. A bunch of cheap foam is good for high frequency containment only. Those Auralex "Lernds" or whatever they are called should be in the snake oil "Hall of fame"....250 bux for 4 thick foam corners... HEHEHEHEHHEHE!

The silliest thing about the foam is, they are shaped like diffusers!! Thats like having totally flat car tires, and screenprinting a tread design on them.....

If you have big areas to cover, alot of the cheap foam will help, but if you are recording drums or bass with no low end help, you will not be a happy tracker.

Ethan has a good FAQ on his site. http://realtraps.com
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Be very wary of Foambymail.com - they were responsible for claiming some very dodgy numbers on their products absorption coefficients, not so long ago.

And to be honest, foam is a piss poor way of treating your room. If you're going to lash out 450 euros, then spend it on mineral wool / semi rigid fibreglass broadband absorbers. There's a shed load of info on this all over the net (SoundOnSound Acoustics forum / StudioTips forum). 450 euros will get you a LOT of absorption if you DIY (go down the Readytraps bags route for instance)

Foam?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed. Fiberglass or mineral wool is far superior to foam. The Auralex stuff is at least decent - though not cheap. The Foam By Mail is just crap.

Bryan
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Roland,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandk View Post
You might try asking these guys if they ship to Europe:

http://www.foambymail.com/

Its not the Auralex brand but the same type of stuff. I've ordered from them a few times with great results.
Foam By Mail is not the same as Auralex. They lie. See this:

www.ethanwiner.com/fraud.html

--Ethan
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Roland,

Foam By Mail is not the same as Auralex. They lie. See this:

www.ethanwiner.com/fraud.html

--Ethan
Guess I won't be ordering from them anymore!

In my small spare bedroom studio I've made several of your diy mid-high absorbers for the vast majority of the acoustics treatment and I'm only using a few foam clouds on the ceiling.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search