The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound proof trouble...help me!
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Nut
Sound proof trouble...help me!

I've had my studio built by a guy who has built some studio here in Bangkok.
When he started I did not know anything about materials...neither I know now.

The result of soundproofing was very bad and limited...I can hear people talking (I mean chatting) from the outside. Of course this is a door problem but it makes me think of how the whole studio has been built. Sound prrofing wall to wall is also very, very poor, and I can hear the melody line also when using a low, low volume...almost impressive.

I give you some details. It's a studio built in a condominium on the first living floor.
We thought it was not the case to build a floting floor.
So, he built the room in the room only for walls and ceiling and he did it like this. Put a wood wall parallel to the wall and left around 5 -6 cm of air, then he built two more wood wall and filled the space between the second and third only with some (very inconsistent) mineral fibre. He did not use any other material nor Gypsum board (wich I've been told later to be very important).

What do you guys think? Was he completely wrong? Should I put Gypsum board or other specific materials? Do I need floating floor?
Old 6th February 2007

I assume that the apartment is tip-up concrete. If so, this is good.

Make sure all the holes in the concrete walls are sealed air-tight and make sure all the windows are dual glass with different thicknesses of glass (like tempered glass on the outside of the building and plain glass on the inside). You should have two doors with good seals.

If you want better isolation room to room, you need Gypsum board or plaster/concrete and a gap filled with mieral fiber for best effect. Make sure things are air tight.

That brings up another area to look at: Ventilation and AC. In Bankok, you need to bring in cool air from somehwere, or at least recirculate air and open things up every few hours. To do this right, you need good ducting lined with mineral fiber board that is oversized and makes a lot of turns. You probably want to build mufflers into your plenums too.

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search