The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Bang For The Buck - Overheads
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Well, if your time is worthless, then I guess that's true.

JSL
No, I do value the little amount of spare time I have. I just think it'd be even more worthless to buy some $200 mics that will be worth $80 after their first use. Rather, I'm buying a $50 mic pair that might be worth $25 if I wanted to eventually throw them up on craigslist once I upgrade to a great pair.

And so far, their working great for my purposes.

Like I said in the original post, I don't have the money (and won't for some time) to get a high-quality pair of overheads so I just wanted something to pick up sound and play around with. In my opinion, it's better to have something than nothing in my situation.

Am I wrong for assuming this?
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robearto4 View Post
No, I do value the little amount of spare time I have. I just think it'd be even more worthless to buy some $200 mics that will be worth $80 after their first use. Rather, I'm buying a $50 mic pair that might be worth $25 if I wanted to eventually throw them up on craigslist once I upgrade to a great pair.

And so far, their working great for my purposes.

Like I said in the original post, I don't have the money (and won't for some time) to get a high-quality pair of overheads so I just wanted something to pick up sound and play around with. In my opinion, it's better to have something than nothing in my situation.

Am I wrong for assuming this?
I wouldnt stress over it man. Get a pair of what you can afford, learn their sound and limitations and just record. Have fun and either way your making music and learning right?

my .002
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowvt View Post
I wouldnt stress over it man. Get a pair of what you can afford, learn their sound and limitations and just record. Have fun and either way your making music and learning right?

my .002
Oh believe me, I'm stress free and enjoying my $50 purchase haha. I've got to start somewhere. I can't tell you how many people I've come across that have all this expensive gear and have no clue how to use it.

It's not the gear you have, it's how you use the gear you have.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

It's not the gear you have, it's how you use the gear you have.

+1
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhomas View Post
In my opinion, the Naiant mics (at least the MSH1 omni) should be considered when you are looking for a "best bang for the buck" microphone.
+2
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd24 View Post
+2
Considered they are. I'm going to play around with both those and the C-2's I got. It's just that the Naiant's are omni, and I know I probably won't be recording in a good room. But I'd like to have them to work with. It's pretty neat that their inside an xlr connector.
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

I agree that you shouldn't stress over it. But the fallacy of your statements is that there's nothing worthwhile in between $50 and "expensive gear."

I've seen people wallow in their crap gear for a decade, all the while talking about how "someday" they're going to spend a zillion on gear. There are worthwhile intermediate upgrades, and you're really just making excuses and possibly holding yourself back.

The fact that some people have "expensive gear" but are incompetent is beside the point. We are assuming here that you might become competent, or else it doesn't really matter what you buy. And no one is suggesting that you buy "expensive gear."

Hey, why spend even $50? Why not $10, or $2 while you're at it? All we're really talking about is where the line is. If you're worried about losing money on new mics, buy used mics. That problem is about the same in every price range.

I've used mics that were $15 and mics that were $3000. And I'm telling you, if your mics are truly garbage, you're not learning anything with them. There are worthwhile mics, surprisingly good ones, for just a few hundred. There is a point below which you're just wasting your time, and I suspect that you're below it.

JSL
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I agree that you shouldn't stress over it. But the fallacy of your statements is that there's nothing worthwhile in between $50 and "expensive gear."

I've seen people wallow in their crap gear for a decade, all the while talking about how "someday" they're going to spend a zillion on gear. There are worthwhile intermediate upgrades, and you're really just making excuses and possibly holding yourself back.

The fact that some people have "expensive gear" but are incompetent is beside the point. We are assuming here that you might become competent, or else it doesn't really matter what you buy. And no one is suggesting that you buy "expensive gear."

Hey, why spend even $50? Why not $10, or $2 while you're at it? All we're really talking about is where the line is. If you're worried about losing money on new mics, buy used mics. That problem is about the same in every price range.

I've used mics that were $15 and mics that were $3000. And I'm telling you, if your mics are truly garbage, you're not learning anything with them. There are worthwhile mics, surprisingly good ones, for just a few hundred. There is a point below which you're just wasting your time, and I suspect that you're below it.

JSL
Oh, I know there's plenty worthwhile in between $50 and "expensive" gear, but mid-range gear starts at around $200 from what I've seen, and I just can't afford that right now. If there were mics for $10 or $2, I'd jump at the chance to get them and try them out too, but I have settled for something that is quite affordable and something I feel I can learn atleast something with, be it not much, I will learn something. No, not as much as I would learn with a nice pair of Earthworks or Schoeps (which I'm using at school, and yes they sound great and I've learned a lot with them already), or any of the mid-range stuff, but I'm not in a place to buy anything more than what I have. Which is why I came to the Low End portion of the forum.

You may think that this is the biggest waste of money and time, and I don't blame you. They are $50 pieces of ****. But if and when I make these mics sound decent, it will be worth way more than $50 to me; and thats all that really matters to me in the end. You might be surprised what I learned by recording everything so far with just an MXL-990.

And I'm not trying to engage in an arguement with you, cause for the most part your right and I do respect your opinions and value what your saying to me; I know what you mean. But I'm not going to keep these forever, and this is just something for me to mess around with at home (while I learn a lot more in the Real Studio that I don't get to spend as much time in as I'd like to.), and I probably won't keep these longer than a year or two. But for my purposes of playing around with my gear at home, getting comfortable with my workstation and being able to record what I want and get something out of it, as little as that might be, then I feel this isn't a step back; it's much more of a step forward. However minute that step is, it's there.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from.
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
And I'm not trying to engage in an arguement with you, cause for the most part your right and I do respect your opinions and value what your saying to me; I know what you mean.
It's all good. Just a little exchange of views here, not a clash of civilizations, right?

JSL
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's all good. Just a little exchange of views here, not a clash of civilizations, right?

JSL
Precisely. Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search