The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MP20
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

MP20

Has anyone used the Presonus MP-20, I have a firepod, but am looking for somthing around 500$ that will give me a better preamp option.

Thanks alot guys
Old 5th February 2007
I wouldn'ty buy the MP20. I owned four of them with the Jensen tranny in it. Was nothing special and i sold them. I would get a used sytek or even a RNP or even two of the art pro mic pres with the tube change. Everyone is saying it's good stuff.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have an MP20 modded with the Burr Brown 627 opamps but I stayed with the stock trannies. I also have 2 ART Pro Channels and an ART MPA Gold, all with upgraded tubes.

The MP20 with the new opamps is extremely clean and detailed. I really like the sound of this pre, especially for drums and overheads. The new opamps made a huge difference but they cost about $18 each so you would have to budget an additional $72 (you need 2 per channel).

The ART pres are better for vocals but they are also good on pretty much anything. My favorite tube replacement is the Mullard 12AT7 - it gives them a little rounder, more 3 dimensional sound.

Between these two I would recommend the ART MPA Gold for your next pre. It has a mic impedance adjustment that changes the sound somewhat and it can add some tube sparkle to vocals or acoustic guitar. This pre is just amazing for the money.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

I also have the burr brown upgrade in my MP20. I don't know what I was expecting, but when I fired it up after the upgrade, it still sounded like an MP20 - clean, concise, small... I only us it for snare bottom and hat, although I suppose if I needed a smaller sound out of a big guitar, it would be perfect.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
I also have the burr brown upgrade in my MP20. I don't know what I was expecting, but when I fired it up after the upgrade, it still sounded like an MP20 - clean, concise, small... I only us it for snare bottom and hat, although I suppose if I needed a smaller sound out of a big guitar, it would be perfect.

I had a Presonus Eureka that seemed to have that same "small" characteristic.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

You guys who feel that the Presonus pres sound small, what are you comparing them to?
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th_note View Post
You guys who feel that the Presonus pres sound small, what are you comparing them to?
My Eureka lost my personal mic pre shoot out on nearly every source. It actually sounded way too close to the pre's on my behri ada8000, and lost to a vtb1, dmp3, meek3Q, Yamaha MG, and my digi pre's. The Meek turned out to be my favorite, which was really odd considering I had barely used it up until that point. Needless to say I was very disappointed that I had spent so much money on something that sounded so plain, and thin.
Old 6th February 2007
TYY
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
MP20 - clean, concise, small...

This pretty much sums it up. I have a jensen-loaded one and it is very clean, very focused (the nice way of saying small), which certainly has its uses; not everything can be huge all the time. The upper mids/lower treble iare pretty up front and can be a little harsh on the wrong source. The IDSS smooths this out, but then you lose all the top end.

It still sounds WAY better than mackie pre-XDR pres, but I guess that's not saying much...
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

If you have cheap chinese mics with the hyped high end, the Safesound P1 is a nice pre/comp combo. The high end of that unit is a little soft, but still detailed, so you get a smoother sound out of a bright mic. And the comp is great for vocals and bass. Maybe get one of those plus a couple of Rane MS1's, which are super-detailed and transparent. Others will have their favorites, but at that price point, if you spend a little more you could get a DAV BG1, which is a clean 2 channel pre with just a bit of round richness to it - good for just about everything, and better than anything under a grand. (The DAV is around $700, shipped from the UK.) All these cheap pres (with the exception of the Rane) will be on your ebay list in a few years, but the DAV will be a keeper. Much better to buy something good than collect a bunch of mid-priced crap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search