The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ART MPA GOLD - Impedence?
Old 5th February 2007
ART MPA GOLD - Impedence?

Just picked up an MPA gold. Was reading through the threads and it looks like I should get some better tubes for the unit... I'll do that and compare.

My question is with the Impedence? Anyone have any advice of where to set it?

Should it be different for Phantom Powered mics than say a 57?

I'm down with trial and error but was hoping for some advice, users that have already gone through the ringer with this unit.

THANKS ;-)
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I think a 57 is set for 500 ohms..there was an article in a mag recently describing how improved a 57 is when run at the proper impedence

I would check your manuals for your other mics and use those ohms as a starting point
Old 6th February 2007
Thanks - that's very helpful
I checked the Sure Website
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...M57-LC_content

It says
Impedance
Rated impedance is 150 ohms (310 ohms actual) for connection to microphone inputs rated low impedance.

So should I set for 150, 310 or 500?

I really feel like a tard here :-(

Old 6th February 2007
Gear Nut

Here are some impedence settings.

57 @300
condensor @1500
sm7 md421 @150

but don't forget that de inmpedence setting can be used as a creative tool also if you find the 57 sounding better @ 600 for you then it does!!!!!!!!!

For tubes in the mpa I can suggest the ge5751 if you didn't already know it's the us army reisue of the 12ax7. I use the fivestar version of it and for my taste it beats every other tube I've tried! It has a real tight bass nice and full transparant mids and real nice highs without harshness.

Good luck with it!thumbsup
Old 7th February 2007
Alrighty I am going to go at it this week and try a few different tubes after I get my hands wet with this thing...

I'll post my thoughts after I get in there and grind away.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 24th March 2007
OK I kind of like this thing now? Has a warm thick juicy sound...

I am not getting a lot of output though? I mean I can get enough if I really push through my console, however, I expect things to calibrate at Zero and record at zero..

I get a little worried I am loosing something along the way if everything doesn't zero up equally?

Any thoughts? Maybe I am just a doofus?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search