The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee mini me vs. emu 1212m
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Apogee mini me vs. emu 1212m

I curently own an emu 1212m. It is quiet as hell but i think it sounds kinda harsh, cold and clinical(especially when im putting a hot signal into it). I was looking for something under $1000(for a pc) with a warmer more musical sound to it.

After doing some research and reading reviews I think the mini me might do, but I was wondering if anyone here might have used both or heard both. There are no stores near me where i can hear a mini me. Besides the specs which ive already read how do they compare in a/d based purely off sound?

I do mostly hip hop if it matters and I use pre's from a mackie 1402 vlz pro. Just wondering if this would be a big upgrade in quality.
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

i'm considering the Mini DAC to streghthen my monitoring chain, and i think they are a great line of products.

you are planning on using the USB into your PC im guessing?
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

I have used a Minime for the last 2 years and I'll never, ever sell it....

I have a very humble rig. An apple G3 powerbook running Protools Free with a Digigram VX pocket soundcard (another nice piece of kit). The sound that this rig gives me is so much better than most people would expect. It sounds..... well, Pro.

I have never been so impressed with any piece of gear I have owned more than the Minime, maybe it's the pre's. Maybe it's the converters. Maybe it's both, but it sounds very very good to me.

Very flexible, portable etc.... I took it to a rehearsal studio to record my friends drumkit (just 2 overheads) and used the USB into his PC laptop running cubase SE. Very versatile it is indeed. Plenty of gain on the pre's, quiet and the inbuilt compression and soft limit is excellent.

I don't need anything else in my rig apart from a couple of really nice mics...... when I've got the cash!

A Mini DAC would be lovely on the output to my monitors, but I just can't justify the expense. Maybe one day if I actually start making money from my recordings then...... Good luck choosing.
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Oh just to add.... The pre's on the Minime will be a big step up from the Mackie. They are transparent, but not sterile sounding. The Push IT compression on the Minime really gives it some attitude too. Great for recording Rock & Acoustic (my bag), but I reckon it will lend itself very well to Hip Hop/Rap Vocals. Very good with an SM57 (one of my favourite mics).

You will not find better A/D conversion anywhere in that price range and you get two quality pre's thrown in for good measure.

I think I should start asking Apogee for a comission after all that! I swear I'm just a happy customer. Nothing more.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies, its good to hear it from someone using it for 2 years.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search