The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ART tubefire 8?
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Nut

New ART tubefire 8?

Just noticed this device on the art website http://www.artproaudio.com/products....9&cat=1&id=130

Is there someone who has any experience with this? It's an 8 channel tubepreamp with firewire connection I'm really curious if it's any good.
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Nut

Or isn't it shipping yet? heh
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Addict

8 channel tube pre in 1 rack space with no venting?

ummm, safe bet that there ain't 8 tubes running at the proper high voltage...
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

Is this an interface? I see that it has firewire on the back and one says "computer" ... I guess I'll read a little more.

Edit: Yes it is, ships with Cubase LE for Mac/Windows ... I wonder what the price is/will be.

Last edited by ebook; 4th February 2007 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

Found it on Sweetwater. They list it for $519.97. It will be interesting to read some reviews down the road. Doesn't say when it's available though...
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

This is probably a good sounding pre. Most companies should be leaving the tubes out of starved plate tube preamps though, and put the money into making another aspect of the unit better. Some of these sound pretty good as just "preamps", but not as tube pres.

IMO.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yea will definitely be interesting to see how it actually performs...obviously you arent going to get that tube sound...so look else where for real tube preamps...but for that price with what it has...might be a nice addition to beef up your inputs into your comp if needed....i wonder how it compares to lets say the saffire pro that just came out?
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Might be good platform for modifying. "Burr Browns inside etc."

aapee
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

Hmm yeah can't really imagine 8 tubes being in there. That would get really hot in there!!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projuice View Post
Hmm yeah can't really imagine 8 tubes being in there. That would get really hot in there!!
The Yellow/Organge LED's behind the Tubes would be the only thing getting hot

*Kidding I love ART, They're a decent company*
Old 5th March 2007
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

There's a pretty favorable review (shocking, but true) in the Feb '08 issue of Recording... but it isn't available on-line.
Old 6th April 2008
Here for the gear

Thumbs up Live recording with a TubeFire 8

Critics abound....this can't be true because...or, no way they could because...or the earth is flat! The bottom line is how does it sound. I used the TubeFire to record a live album for an all-acoustic, high-energy band. The audio quality was outstanding from the TRS audio outs fed into an Alesis HD24XR. When using ribbon mics, the pre amps are clean, quiet (70dB of gain) and a wonderful playback experience. After 2 nights in the trenches, there were zero problems, just stunning detail captured from using mics every pro band has in their mic collection. In studio use has proved the TubeFire 8 to be even more impressive. After 30+ years as an audio professional, I have used many mic preamps and find the playback of recordings made with the TubeFire 8 to be amazing! With the $4,000.00 saved I will add a few more TubeFire 8's to the studio and mobile setup. All I was looking for was a stand-alone (many need a computer to access the TRS line outputs) 8-channel mic preamp with high-resolution audio (12 to 60k) from the TRS lineouts. I found it all in the TubeFire 8 plus I have a firewire audio interface. Did I mention these are class-A preamps? Or that the input/output controls are solid and offer precise level control along with differing tonal (tube) colors by varying their relative levels? Too cool!
Old 7th April 2008
Y'ar... I've read all four of these threads conveniently bumped up here tonight, and the common thread is that all the skepticism is coming from people with pre-judged ideas who have NEVER LAID A PAW ON IT.

Once you actually use one.... you'll know.
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

I've been looking at this unit for several months myself. Don't need an interface, but an 8 banger with direct outs that I could feed my XR with for drum channels would be pretty nice.

Joel, since I know you've used the Tubefire for a while now - how do you think these units sound on drums?
Old 7th April 2008
Really breathes the breath of life into drums tracks. "Full" is the word maybe-- "bustin' loose at the seams" is maybe a more colorful way to put it.

Seriously, this unit is WAY way worth more than the asking price, which if history is any guide will be skyrocketing any MINUTE.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Anyone know if you could use the Firewire connector on these units
to get 8 extra inputs to like say ProTools LE and Digi 003 Consol ?
(Like you do when you're using the Adat option...)

Thanks
Geir
Old 25th April 2008
Here for the gear

Good price!

Hi there!
I´m considering buying this unit and I found a good price at bhprotovideo.com
Peace!
ze netto
Old 26th April 2008
Gear Maniac

nice!
Attached Thumbnails
New ART tubefire 8?-creamofspam.jpg  
Old 14th May 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Y'ar... I've read all four of these threads conveniently bumped up here tonight, and the common thread is that all the skepticism is coming from people with pre-judged ideas who have NEVER LAID A PAW ON IT.

Once you actually use one.... you'll know.
Still mulling over what to buy. Bit more urgent now feedback seems to have blown out my old terratec adat card (how I don't know,but it's not sounding well). How does this compare to a Saffire pro. Would you say this is the preferable option?
Old 14th May 2008
I would, but that's just me.
Old 14th May 2008
Gear Nut

thanks for the reply. i like the er 'sound' of this card but have no means to actually try it. Also one thing that concerns me is how do i send out to an fx box and have it recorded with fx on one track and dry on another.
Old 20th May 2008
Gear Nut

Joel,

I have been following this thread as I am interested in the tubefire...
How do you think the TF8 sounds as only a pre vs using it's firewire capabilities as a full interface?

Would things sound better if the TF8 was feeding something like an Echo AF12? Is the conversion ok in the TF8?

And just to clarify...when using it as an interface and you use 2 of the output channels for monitoring, can you still record all 8 channels and monitor as the same time. Obviously using two of the 8 outputs means that you can't use their direct pre output, but if it is being used as a stand alone interface this is probably ok.

Thanks for you review too...

Have a good one.

Erik
Old 20th May 2008
You've cut me to the quick, there-- I only use my Tubefire as a pre going into my Alesis HD-24. In that application, it's purty 'mazing. The thing with the two knobs, a volume knob and a dial-in-the-starved-plate-effect knob-- if you care about egg-zackly how the rich the sound is, how full, how bouncy, how dense and pumping-- it gives you that. I don't know anything else that does, in that way, that cleanly.

This idea of tracking into a computer, over firewire-- I'm just too old school for that, that sounds scary as sheet.
Old 20th May 2008
Gear Nut

Right on. Thanks for the answer.

I wonder how the conversion is though. I am doing the DAW and firewire thing. (firepods and SONAR right now)

Have a good one.
Old 20th May 2008
Lives for gear

Cool, this is another contender to do exactly what you are doing, joel, using it as pres for an HD24. But this route allows the possibility of sending to the computer as a backup as well as to an outboard recorder, for maximum safety, unless I'm missing something. The analog outputs don't go through the A/D/A stage in the box before going to the HD24, correct?
Old 20th May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Cool, this is another contender to do exactly what you are doing, joel, using it as pres for an HD24. But this route allows the possibility of sending to the computer as a backup as well as to an outboard recorder, for maximum safety, unless I'm missing something. The analog outputs don't go through the A/D/A stage in the box before going to the HD24, correct?
I would hope not!

(Here's a somewhat embarassing story I hope no one hears... I decided I'd put together a "pro bono" 8 track pre/compressor rig with this Octopre LE and two Behringer MDX 4600's I've got lying around... for really cheapo/benefit gigs. Made a little box for it and everything, really no larger than a breadbox, whatever that is.

So, I took it to an elementary school chorus/band show. Stupid me: halfway through I realized that one half of both stereo sets of mics were way low and more-or-less being constantly compressed by the Behringer-- the settings had gotten nudged to the -10 input setting (!) While the other half was fine. I'd describe this as total, total bungling. EVEN SO (EVEN SO!) the director and the people who bought the CD thought it sounded GREAT. [After I'd tried to make the best of it by compressing the "okay" halves down the levels of the "bungled" halves.] I'm afraid the moral to this story is: drive drunk, as long as you don't hit anything, who cares?)
Old 20th May 2008
Lives for gear

Heh, whatever works!

I ask because my digital mixer/recorder has line outs for every channel and L/R outs that go through the A/D/A so sending those out to another A/D in at different sample rate does funny things, or so it seems. It might just be low-quality outputs.
Old 20th May 2008
That's a big whole world of mystery to me... no clue what would be what.
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Nut

Hi Joel,

I hope this is not pestering too much. I was just curious to see what you still think of the tubefire after about 4 months after this thread's last post.

Any problems with it?
Still sounds good?

Thanks,

Erik

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search