The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ugh...4x12 recording frustration!
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

Once my gain goes past 6 on my solid-state rickenbacker amp, it begins to sound like staticy butt. I assume that's because it's only a 12-watt crappy amp. I shall test on...

Though I did manage to get rid of most of the hum and noise; I'm really happy about that.
Old 13th February 2007
Gear Head

well i gotta say you guys were definently right with the trying of the small amp

I took my 8" ibanez downstairs for the heck of it. What did i have to lose?

Its like night and day!

Looking back i think my problem with the 4x12 was 1. i couldnt crank it enough and 2. i couldnt move the condensor back far enough to capture all the sound of the amp without getting too much reverb (going back to 1)

i use the blanket trick over this thing and its full thick rich tracks

So...tmr..retrack some songs..then...soldering gun comes out, mods will be performed..im thinking of throwing a 12ax7 in place of the clipping section, or atleast in it to cover up its harshness

figured id find this thread and thank you guys for your suggestions
Old 13th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSkillzMan View Post

Now something i noticed. Im using a behringer Eurorack mixer.

Im wondering if the lame ass preamps in the tascam are degrading the sound.
OK these are the 2 points that caught me here!
#1 Behringer makes everything sound distant and simply "NOT GOOD"

#2 The tascam pre's are surely not the best, but if you are on a budget so be it.

#3 KEEP IT SIMPLE! Can't you just bypass the Tascam thing as a recording unit? If you need to use it as a pre-amp use it as a pre and go directly to LOGIC instead of having all these tranfers from this to that.

#4 How far is the mic from the cab? Where are you placing the mic, on the edge, towards the cone? How far from the cab is the mic?

#5 How does the amp sound to your ears? Is it the sound that you want? If so then the trick of the game is to capture that sound with the mic in the right place.
If the amp sounds "just ok" then that is all you're gonna get...

#6 What kind of amp, guitar and pick-up are you using? What kind of Cab and what is it loaded with?

Can you post us an MP3?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear