The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about the preamp/firewire chain...
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Nut

Question about the preamp/firewire chain...

I have what may be a very simple and basic question in the digital chain. I am a drummer and I purchased a Presonus Firepod a couple years ago when I first started recording. It was perfect with 8 mic channels (then). I realize these are pretty cheap preamps. Now I'm slowly upgrading. I recently bought a Chameleon 7602 pre (no digital interface) and I've been running my snare mic (i5) through that. I have also experimented with one mono overhead (BLUE Dragonfly). I will also use the 7602 for guitar and vocals, etc.

So, what do I loose by running the 7602 through one of the Presonus channels (w/ the input set on 0) to get the signal to my CPU? Is it bypassing the Presonus pre or is the signal getting transformed into the Presonus pre's sound characteristics...? What's really happening? Is it a complete waste of time running something through a nice sounding pre and then through a cheap box to get to digital...?
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Is this in the right section, or should I re-post to the Computer section?
Old 5th February 2007

At low gain most pre-amps (even the cheap ones) don't modify the sound too much. That is if the "gain" control really is a gain control (sometimes they are not).

Isn't there a line level input on that box?

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search