The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good Sub-$500 Ribbon Mic For Electric Guitar?
Old 4th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post

I have also wanted an RM-5.
I just ordered one from DIYrecordingequipment.com. I'll try to put it to use and share some feedback when I've got it.

View best answer View most liked answer
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrbndr View Post
The Fathead 2 with the Lundahl transformer sounds brighter with more clarity than the stock transformer to me. I guess I'm leaning towards this one, unless something higher-end that would come in under $500 used would be an improvement.
If you're on a tight budget and you really want a ribbon mic I'd buy a stock fathead and not worry about any mods or "upgrades". Even cheap ribbon mics are great for certain things, and have a naturalness and smoothness to them that's harder to come by in other types of mics. And they usually respond well to EQ, so you can brighten and "open" them up a bit fairly easily. That said, I think the overall best microphone you could get in the $500 or under range is a used 441 , at least that I've heard.
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear
+ a zillion for the NoHype mics! I've had many opportunities to work in studios that have ribbon mics in their lockers that are quadruple the price of the upgraded NoHypes and I still prefer my LRM-2's. JP is one of the finest guys to deal with and makes amazing mics somehow for a fraction of the cost. If you request when you buy you can get matched stereo pairs, which is what I did. I am still waiting for him to make some other designs so I have an excuse to buy more mics from him! I have even considered getting a few of the even less expensive LRM-1's since I already have 2 of the "cleaner" LRM2's and am tempted to get the "more colorful" LRM-1's....
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Nut

SE Electronics VR1 voodoo is killer on guitar cabs!!!
Old 8th April 2016
I just put my DIYAC RM-5 (I got mine from Diyrecordingequipment.com) together today. I've only gotten to run a couple of quick tests but I got to say I'm really impressed with it so far. I did some vocal tests and have been pleased with how it handles my voice. While many low end condensers add to much high end and make my voice sound thin, and many dynamics are muffled and lacking high end definition, the RM-5 seems very balance.

On guitar I set it about 9" from my cab and right in front; it sounded excellent on clean guitars but with heavy guitars it was super woofy with overwhelming low end. I'm sure this had a lot to with placement and floor reflections from my cab, however the big takeaway is that it took EQ amazingly! With a heavy high pass and a judicious cut in the offending frequencies I actually got a nice detailed heavy guitar tone out of it.

Again this is just my first impressions from no more than 20 minutes playing with the mic but I'm really impressed and excited about it.
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

m160
Old 8th April 2016
Here for the gear

I dig the Avantone CR-14. It's about $250. If you have a soldering iron and 5 minutes you can pop in a Lundahl transformer, and notch it
up to the same thing the more expensive ones are. Much of the very expensive mics just use the same parts that are made in China.
Wow, that gives me a great idea....
Also, there is a super cool company called Austin Ribbon mics, which offer DIY mics kits. If you have a few hours and a strong will, and
want to impress your friends with a mic, you made with your own hands. This is the jam.
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T_Music View Post
I just put my DIYAC RM-5 (I got mine from Diyrecordingequipment.com) together today. I've only gotten to run a couple of quick tests but I got to say I'm really impressed with it so far. I did some vocal tests and have been pleased with how it handles my voice. While many low end condensers add to much high end and make my voice sound thin, and many dynamics are muffled and lacking high end definition, the RM-5 seems very balance.

On guitar I set it about 9" from my cab and right in front; it sounded excellent on clean guitars but with heavy guitars it was super woofy with overwhelming low end. I'm sure this had a lot to with placement and floor reflections from my cab, however the big takeaway is that it took EQ amazingly! With a heavy high pass and a judicious cut in the offending frequencies I actually got a nice detailed heavy guitar tone out of it.

Again this is just my first impressions from no more than 20 minutes playing with the mic but I'm really impressed and excited about it.
Sounds like you made a wise purchase. There are people who think ribbon microphones are a silly idea, a flawed technology surpassed in every way by both condensers and dynamics, then there are others (like myself) who think they sound great and classy.
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Whipple View Post
I dig the Avantone CR-14. It's about $250. If you have a soldering iron and 5 minutes you can pop in a Lundahl transformer, and notch it
up to the same thing the more expensive ones are. Much of the very expensive mics just use the same parts that are made in China.
Wow, that gives me a great idea....
Also, there is a super cool company called Austin Ribbon mics, which offer DIY mics kits. If you have a few hours and a strong will, and
want to impress your friends with a mic, you made with your own hands. This is the jam.
There's a thread somewhere on this site where they did a blind test of a modded vs un-modded cr-14. If my memory serves, there wasn't a single vote for the modded version.

Personally, I have two of them... and I don't know what I'd want changed.. other than I'd like to have a couple more of them.

I suppose a cloudlifter would be nice when recording quiet sources.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search