The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mackie 8 Bus VS Behringer MX 8000
Old 7th March 2016
Mackie 8 Bus VS Behringer MX 8000

Hello there, i have heard alot of times that the Mx8000 is an exact copy of the Mackie 8 Bus, and behri was sued for that back then. Does anyone have direct experience on both of these mixers? Is there a difference sonically?
thanx!
Old 8th March 2016
dkr
Gear Maniac

I have owned a MX8000 for a few years, but sold it over 10 years ago. If i remember correct the MX and the 8Bus differ in some small details like routing capabilities etc. At same time i owned the MX i have worked a few hours on a 8Bus. I clear remember the build quality of Mackie was much better, for example faders running smoother, the housing feeling sturdier etc.

The greatest difference is soundwise of course. The Behringer tends to sound harsh and thin quite fast while the Mackies preamps and EQs have a much wider usable sweet spot. But this shouldn't be a surprise as the Mackie 8bus did cost almost twice the price of the Behri MX8000.

Don't know where your questions are pointing at, but in case you are considering buying one of these keep in mind we are talking about consoles here that are 10-20 years old. Personally I wouldnt put too much money in a MX8000 nowadays (which is known for blowing power units by the way).
Old 9th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr View Post
I have owned a MX8000 for a few years, but sold it over 10 years ago. If i remember correct the MX and the 8Bus differ in some small details like routing capabilities etc. At same time i owned the MX i have worked a few hours on a 8Bus. I clear remember the build quality of Mackie was much better, for example faders running smoother, the housing feeling sturdier etc.

The greatest difference is soundwise of course. The Behringer tends to sound harsh and thin quite fast while the Mackies preamps and EQs have a much wider usable sweet spot. But this shouldn't be a surprise as the Mackie 8bus did cost almost twice the price of the Behri MX8000.

Don't know where your questions are pointing at, but in case you are considering buying one of these keep in mind we are talking about consoles here that are 10-20 years old. Personally I wouldnt put too much money in a MX8000 nowadays (which is known for blowing power units by the way).
thanx for the info, i mixed 7-10 gigs on mx8000 - no experience on the mackie.
the unit i had worked on, showed problem with a malfunctioning channel IC.

i would by no means give money for an mx8000, i just have access to one and was thinking that if it sounds BETTER than an AH Zed or a Soundcraft Spirit 8, i could embrace it in my techno setup, as it has lots of channels/buses/auxes.

cheers!
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

I like the Behringer MX series much better than the old Mackie 8-buss. I've never seen a Mackie 8-buss that did not develop problems. These start in the solo system and evolve into whole sections of the boards going dead or becoming intermittent.

I've had MX8000 and MX9000 Behringer mixers, done lots of remote recording with them and never had any problems. I hate that the input trims are on the rear of these desks but that's my biggest complaint, not the sound or reliability.

Both the Behringer and the Mackie are absolute pigs to work on with large integrated circuit boards attached to the front panel. Behringer has given much better support IME than Mackie. Try calling the Mackie support number? Have you ever tried to get factory support on large Mackie products? I don't think it exists, they never answered the phone and I tried calling right when they opened and everyday of the week.

The Behringer MX series mixers go out to over +20 dB without distorting. I had three Mackie 8-buss 32-channel mixers for live recording gigs, these were distorting above +18 dB (measurements were via my Neutrik Minilyzer, Fluke DVM and B&K O-Scope).

I've owned two MX9000 consoles and never had a problem with either of them. I treat all my gear very gently and with the highest respect. I have many pieces I bought back in the 70's that are still working because I take care of my equipment.

Good luck and good music to you.
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

I had an MX8000 for a while a couple years ago, used it to record shows. Worked great, no complaints about the sound. Biggest problem I had was selling it! I paid almost nothing for it and still had to take a loss to get rid of it (too big).
Old 10th March 2016
any recs made on an MX8000 ??
Old 11th March 2016
Old 11th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoner View Post
nice, are mx8000 preamps used here?
Nope, Outboard pres. They are usable but they don't take gain hungry mics that well.
Old 11th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedmarty View Post
Nope, Outboard pres. They are usable but they don't take gain hungry mics that well.
what about line signals? (ive only worked live mics in it)
Old 11th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
what about line signals? (ive only worked live mics in it)
Line signals are fine!
Old 11th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedmarty View Post
Line signals are fine!
Got it, can you point out in wich way feeding these hungry mics with onboard gain, would "degrade" quality in your opinion? obviously were talking studio, so i exclude gigs monitor feedback from exess gain. (which was never a problem for me, also auxes seemed to have enough headroom)

To my ears it sounded a little harsh in an untreated venue with also harsh accoustics. Maybe that "stiffness" could be of use in studio for some genres? just thinking...

Oh and something more, did you sum on it?
Old 11th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Got it, can you point out in wich way feeding these hungry mics with onboard gain, would "degrade" quality in your opinion? obviously were talking studio, so i exclude gigs monitor feedback from exess gain. (which was never a problem for me, also auxes seemed to have enough headroom)

To my ears it sounded a little harsh in an untreated venue with also harsh accoustics. Maybe that "stiffness" could be of use in studio for some genres? just thinking...

Ribbons and Dynamics tend to get a little hissy when using the onboard pres. The sound itself is pretty neutral - so you don't get anything special from those pres. But I didn't have any problems with harshness so far.

Yes, I still use it for suming and outboard units.
Old 11th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:

Ribbons and Dynamics tend to get a little hissy when using the onboard pres. The sound itself is pretty neutral - so you don't get anything special from those pres. But I didn't have any problems with harshness so far.

Yes, I still use it for suming and outboard units.
Old 13th March 2016
Lives for gear
I used the Berry back when they were introduced. It was ok with low channel count. Many channels really diminished the mix bus headroom. Couldn't crowd the mix bus..!
Old 13th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
I used the Berry back when they were introduced. It was ok with low channel count. Many channels really diminished the mix bus headroom. Couldn't crowd the mix bus..!
16 chans max for now. What about its base responce? Could it provide punchy kicks, or mudy ones..?

cheers!
Old 13th March 2016
There used to be some magazine articles showing the differences in construction, filters, noise, etc. Google is your friend. Mackie was built much better and had lower noise. All consoles will get noisy when you start adding channels.
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
16 chans max for now. What about its base responce? Could it provide punchy kicks, or mudy ones..?

cheers!
I guess it really depend on how you capture the source. If the punch is there, and not extremely muddy when you record it, it'll make it a lot easier on the Berry's EQs comes mix time.
Old 14th March 2016
Quote:
I guess it really depend on how you capture the source. If the punch is there, and not extremely muddy when you record it, it'll make it a lot easier on the Berry's EQs comes mix time.
Line signals 99,9%
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Line signals 99,9%
Do you record any amps, live drums with external pre amps, etc...?
Old 14th March 2016
Quote:
Do you record any amps, live drums with external pre amps, etc...?
No physical instruments or outboard preams. An electronic music setup here with drum machine/fx units and similar stuff. I believe Mackie 8 bus was a standard mixer that suited for that in the 90s, having heard that Behri is a clone of it makes me interested in getting feedback. I wouldnt get in the B territory otherwise......
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

I've recorded drums and guitars extensively thru my 8 bus. It's clean and neutral. The eq is perfectly usable but easy to misuse if you turn the knobs too far.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

This was recorded entirely on an 8 Bus except for lead vocal. It's a reference mix from the board with light mix bus compression and nothing else but EQ.

https://www.reverbnation.com/sonicsc...tian--rosedale
Old 21st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
This was recorded entirely on an 8 Bus except for lead vocal. It's a reference mix from the board with light mix bus compression and nothing else but EQ.

https://www.reverbnation.com/sonicsc...tian--rosedale
thank you, these recs remind me how it sounds a bit.. :P
Old 21st March 2016
Had a MX8000 for many, many years. Sold it around 6 years ago and now use a Midas Venice. They're night and day IMHO. The Midas has brought my recordings way up to another level.
Old 22nd March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Had a MX8000 for many, many years. Sold it around 6 years ago and now use a Midas Venice. They're night and day IMHO. The Midas has brought my recordings way up to another level.
these two exist in different universes.. or even time/space..?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
any recs made on an MX8000 ??
Sky Bop Fly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcRi...J8nT8u&index=1

This was recorded at my old studio in 1997, with a pair of Tascam DA-88s, a few Manley mic pres, one TL-Audio dual, rack of compressors, parametric eqs, a couple of verbs, etc... Think I was using a Symetrix A/D...

It came out really well for that era, 20+ years later, Presently am using a better recording system (DAW, running Harrison Mixbus 32C Ver. 5, but it was great for back then !!!

Marko.

www.spielbergaudio.com

https://www.facebook.com/marko.sal.spielberg
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search