The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic Opinions needed?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Mic Opinions needed?

First I'll start with a Rode NTK tube mic opinion? or a AT4040 mic opinion? which of the two is better? I see a lot of great reviews for both. My needs is for a room mic for 2- 4x12 guitar cabs and occasional acoustic guitar and vocals just curious if either mic would be a good choice for my applications. BTW I use 2- 57's up close on the 2- 4x12 cabs, I heard adding a room mic will help catch the low end better I looking for the crunch tone the 57's aint doing it which goes through a RNP.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Instead of 2 57's, try one 57 and one ribbon, and a flat LDC in figure 8 pattern aimed at the walls (not the amp) for the room mic. A cheap flat LDC is the CAD M179. There are a lot of ribbon mics out these days, and putting one on a guitar cab is a no-brainer. All of a sudden, you have this new, fat, juicy tone to blend in with the 57, and you wonder how you ever did without it.
Adding a second mic introduces the possibility of phase problems, so make sure you flip phase on one mic to see if the tone gets beefier. If you aim the room mic at the walls, you're not getting any direct sound from the amp into that mic, and phase shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by uncle duncan; 1st February 2007 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: phase
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

If you mean crunch like a British crunch, like... well... an SM57 crunch, bringing in a ribbon mic or whatever might not be the way to go. I'd just try recording one speaker/cab with one SM57 so you don't get any bass attenuation due to phasing. Play around with microphone placement and see if you can get a crunchier tone. Maybe mic one of the upper speakers if you've been doing the lower ones. This will minimise room reflection which I think would be a good place to start. I'd forget about a room mic.

I'd also want to use a pre-amp of the Brit persuasion, something with plenty of beefy mid-range. Partly depends what signal's coming out of the amp, though. If you've got cheap 12AX7s in the amp pre, upgrading to NOS (NOT REISSUE) Mullard ECC83s should help boost your crunch quotient, even if it's only for the sake of recording. Mullard pre-amp valves were essential to a lot of the crunchier British rock tone. Mullard power-amp valves in many cases as well (Mullard EL34s in Townshend's Hiwatt stacks, blah blah). EVERYTHING TURNED UP LOUD SO YOU GET CRUNCHY CLASS B POWER-AMP DISTORTION.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

NB Just wondering... What kind of amp do you have? If you have a 'valvestate'-type digital amp, that is probably never gonna make for top-class crunchy recordings. You need good crunchy distortion at source. Maybe a POD thingy would do. I wouldn't know. To me, pods are where peas grow and WHAT ALIENS HATCH FROM. BEWARE.

P.S. I'd look at a K2 if you like the look/sound of the NTK. The K2 is much more versatile, and quieter. Stick the right 6922 type valve in that (most people seem to go for the Siemens CCa option) and it's probably a really good mic. You can play around with the patterns to fine-tune frequency response, etc.

Last edited by woomanmoomin; 1st February 2007 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Omitted main point.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Who makes the K2 I like the ideal of a tube mic and BTW I use a PV triple X and Marshall JMC800 with a a/b switch, plenty crunch from the amp or source, but not from the mic and pre I read great reviews about the 57 and RNP now I own them and and I'm not impressed. I had a Shinnybox ribbon mic before tired that scenario the SB ribbon is POS not impressed. I'm using a Alesis HD24XR which has great a/d converters so I'll try the wall techque plus both cabs are off the floor as some suggested.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Nosound,

Most of your tone is done at the source. My bud in Arizona, who has the BEST heavy sound I have ever heard, uses a VTB-1 and an i5. I think pres and mics wont matter that much to you.

BTW, he uses no compression either. Just killer guitars and amps.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Well it sounds great while playing but doesn't sound the same after I record with the RNP and SM57 that's why I wanted to add maybe a decent LCD to catch more low end I know it's missing some freq. but then again I'm a picky old bastard to.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

the 4050 would be a good choice here but i agree the rode K2 is also a great tube mic and will probly sound better on vocals.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

i've owned both the rode NTK and AT4040, and i would say the NTK was a better mic. the 4040 is just fine, but not quite as nice as the rode.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys guess I get the NTK figured since I have tube amps at source why not a tube mic to help capture it.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Do you have any kick drum mics around, like beta 52 or something? That nasal edge that is meant to keep the beater sound well defined can sometimes be really good a getting what you are talking about. Sometimes it is horrible though. You never know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search