The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap multi channel audio capture Audio Interfaces
Old 31st January 2007
Gear interested

Cheap multi channel audio capture

Hey all, I am looking for the cheapest way to capture multi-channel audio. I need to record the audio from up to 6 microphones to seperate audio tracks. I am not too bothered about audio quality: this is for testing the battery lifespan of devices, so as long as I can tell if they are still producing audio, that's fine. Any recommendations? I could do a PCI card in a desktop or a PC card in a laptop. I am planning on using this with Audacity, so compatiability with that is required. Any suggestions?
Old 31st January 2007
Jai guru deva om

Presonus Firepod?

Alesis Multimix?

War
Old 1st February 2007
Gear interested

Okay, thanks. The MultMix 8 looks like it would do the job. One question tho (and forgive me if this is a stupid one: this isn't my area); will the MultiMix 8 and Audigy be able to record the tracks individually? I need to keep the tracks separate, not mix them together.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear interested

Mic inputs

Hello,
Check out mic/line interfaces from SM Pro Audio, they have very good specs for the price. They have individual channel outputs, but I suppose you´d need an ADAT option to plug into your card.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Presonus Firepod?

Alesis Multimix?

War
I could be wrong on this, but after researching, I can't see how either of these would work. What I need to do is to record simultaneously from the individual inputs as seperate files, and I don't think the firepod or multimix would allow this. To clarify if I wasn't clear before: I need to capture each of the individual inputs to a file, not the downmix of the inputs.

I'm thinking that an M-Audio Delta 1010 may be more appropriate, but I am not sure how well this would work with 6 microphones. Anybody had any experience with that? I'm trying to keep costs down here, and I am hiping I could get away without adding pre-amps to the mix. Again, I am not that worried about sound quality: I merely need to be able to establish how long a particualr channel is receiving sounds.
Old 5th February 2007
All the mentioned interfaces do this.
You'll need a software to record tracks on separate files.
Check out the Hercules 1612 I think... it's the cheapest of those mentioned.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
All the mentioned interfaces do this.

Really? (not meaning to sound facetious here, I'm just trying to make sure I get the right gear) I got the impression from the Alesis multimix 8 USB 2.0 manual that you couldn't record the individual tracks simultaneously. It says "The USB port sends the Multimix’s MAIN OUT/TAPE OUT left and right signals to the computer."; nothing about sending the individual inputs.
Old 6th February 2007
well, ok, I didn't even consider Alesis

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search