The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trion 8000 or M9
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

Trion 8000 or M9

Hey guys, help me decide between the Cad Trion 8000 or the Cad M9.

I just bought a Cad VSM and I dont want something thats going to sound just like it. I've been stuck at this for a few days.

Thanks guys.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuzzum View Post
Hey guys, help me decide between the Cad Trion 8000 or the Cad M9.

I just bought a Cad VSM and I dont want something thats going to sound just like it. I've been stuck at this for a few days.

Thanks guys.
Neither?
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

I happen to have an amazing experience with Cad Mics.

Here is a recording with the Cad VSM on vocals, and M179's as over heads...

I was 18 when I recorded this, so give me a break.

http://download.yousendit.com/43B2E4EA5626CA41
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuzzum View Post
I happen to have an amazing experience with Cad Mics.

Here is a recording with the Cad VSM on vocals, and M179's as over heads...

I was 18 when I recorded this, so give me a break.

http://download.yousendit.com/43B2E4EA5626CA41
Sweet, i have an M9. But if i wanted something different than it i wouldn't be buying a VSM or another one of their tube mics.
Old 31st January 2007
Here for the gear

I'd agree with "neither" ... at least not a CAD tube mic.

If you wanna stick with the CAD theme, perhaps consider an "original" E300. I have one and it is basically the opposite sound of the VSM -- a bit glossier and sweeter, and fairly neutral. The VSM has more lower-midrange strength, by contrast. The M179 sounds, tonally, like a halfway point between the two... but perhaps with a bit less detail than either. At least to my ears, with my gear. For mic'ing an amp, I'd almost prefer the M179.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Havent heard the trion but i get excellent results with my m9....i think its one of the best tube mics in its price range.
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/view...?trackid=53199
there is a sample of the CAD m9 ran through a joe meek twinQ...hope it helps.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict
The VSM is "more true" and the M9 has a slightly hotter/hyped up input transformer...M9 excels on electric guitar amps...Trion 8000 appears to be an e300-2 knock-off based on its shape and features set. Good luck in your quest.
Old 31st January 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodawg View Post
The VSM is "more true" and the M9 has a slightly hotter/hyped up input transformer...M9 excels on electric guitar amps...Trion 8000 appears to be an e300-2 knock-off based on its shape and features set. Good luck in your quest.
I agree the M9 is great on cabs, I used it on many of these guitar tracks:

http://www.thirsties.com/casemisbehavior.mp3

http://www.thirsties.com/standardgrade.mp3

The Trion8000 isn't anywhere near the big huge beefy sound of the e-300/2. The Trion8000 has a somewhat wispy top end that I've found to be very nice on vocal work with no sibilance, and is somewhat light in the low end response also (which is good for close work of course but can sound thin otherwise). The e-300/2 sounds huge top to bottom, big bottom, strong mids, big highs...very in your face kind of sound by comparison (and quite unique).

War
Old 1st February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The e-300/2 sounds huge top to bottom, big bottom, strong mids, big highs...very in your face kind of sound by comparison (and quite unique).
Have you compared the new E300-2 and the old E300 at all? Just wondering if I'm missing out on anything.
Old 1st February 2007
Jai guru deva om

No, I don't have an old one around to compare to.

War
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear
I agree that the e300-2 is awesome, top to bottom. Kind of sucks that the Trion 8000 isn't as good... maybe I'll look elsewhere for a tube mic now.
Old 1st February 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
I agree that the e300-2 is awesome, top to bottom. Kind of sucks that the Trion 8000 isn't as good... maybe I'll look elsewhere for a tube mic now.
I wouldn't want all of my mics to sound huge, detailed and beefy top to bottom.

I don't think it's better than the Trion8000, each mic would outperform the other on certain sources.

I really like the wispy top end of the Trion8000 also.

The M9 would be a decent tube mic choice, as is the MXL V69 if you want a thicker / darker condensor on a low budget.

War
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear
Where do you feel the 8000 would accel, assuming that we both agree that the e300 makes a stellar vocal mic?
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I talked to the folks at CAD because I wanted a VSM and it's discontinued. They said the M9 is virtually identical internally. The difference is that it uses more off the shelf components for switches, the housing, shockmount, etc. Just passing along what the salesguy said, can't vouch for the truth of it.
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I agree the M9 is great on cabs, I used it on many of these guitar tracks:

http://www.thirsties.com/casemisbehavior.mp3

http://www.thirsties.com/standardgrade.mp3

The Trion8000 isn't anywhere near the big huge beefy sound of the e-300/2. The Trion8000 has a somewhat wispy top end that I've found to be very nice on vocal work with no sibilance, and is somewhat light in the low end response also (which is good for close work of course but can sound thin otherwise). The e-300/2 sounds huge top to bottom, big bottom, strong mids, big highs...very in your face kind of sound by comparison (and quite unique).

War
Hey man NICE TUNES..I just wanted to tell ya that!!
Old 26th June 2008
Gear Nut

Well i have both and honestly i like em both
I agree if your primary instrument is acoustic guitar GET A CAD M9 it has
has nice smoothness and 3 dimensional sound i use a Sovtek 12ax7 WXT+ in mine which u cant find anymore and it sounds great
as far as the CAD trion 8000 it has a very nice sound and its top end is very interesting very musical> Works good with a SDC mic on guitar i found it sounds best off the end of the guitar near the peg that holds ur strap combined with a SDC on the neck side about 8 to 10 inch away
Only one to get? get The CAD M9
I know alot of guys here praise the CAD M179 however it lacks that 3d clarity you hear on better mics
BUT they are tough and nice to bring in the field.
Compared to my AKG 414 audio upgrade mics and michael joly modified MK219s they sound kinda harsh and grainy
I use a Audio Upgrade Pre in my signal chain so you can really hear the mics different responses

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search