The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Long term opinions of the mackie Onyx 1604
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Long term opinions of the mackie Onyx 1604

I was wondering if anyone had any long term opinions of the Mackie Onyx analog mixer...

there was a bunch of posts back in late '05 when it first came out..
but there hasnt been a lot lately....

I have been considering purchasing one (as an upgrade/expansion for my Alesis studio 24)... and was wondering if i could get some long term usage opinions from anyone...
.. or if you dont like it.. options for something else.....

the new 4 buss' has an internal jumper to put the e.q. in line? ???

thx
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've got the 12o2 Onyx, and it's a great mixer. The mic pres are nice, very neutral sounding and clean. Very good EQ, really useable. Although, I mainly just use mine for monitoring till now. I'm having mine modded and adding the forewire card and plan to use it to track with. We will see how that goes.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I've got one for sale that I bought from Front End Audio. It's got the mod where the eq is sent to the direct out. I bought it to use for a remote session that never panned out. So I only just took it out of the box to test it out. Comes with cables and everything.

I sounded really nice! I would say about in line with my sytek pres.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

ok.. good so far... anyone else ...

i know on this website always has some haters...

i'd really like to hear your worst!
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had the 400f for a bit, and was impressed with the Onyx preamps.

They were good. Quite good in fact. I don't think you'll have a problem there.

- Jim
Old 31st January 2007
Here for the gear

Mackie Onyx

Hello,
- Been working with an Onyx for a year now, both live and studio. I´m mostly using outboard eq, but if applied sparingly the onboard eq´s are fine and have a perfectly useable character. I´m streaming 12 channels at a time via the FW-interface and have not experienced any glitches so far... I feel that the card is a bit pricey, though,but you can probably find an offer where it´s bundled in for less than the retail price. I´ve been using Mackie gear for years and they have never let me down. I think they are the best value for money in their class.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

thx for the replies so far...

its still number one on my list....

now.. ill probably just use it as an input board... with a lil eq here and there... but i do my mixing ITB....

im thinking that the ONYX pres with the perkins (apparantly ok) E.Q. .. and the A/D firewire conversion... is worth the price....

i probably wont use it as a 2-buss... but i imagine i could...

anyone think this is not a good way to go..??

(this will be the biggest purchase my studio has made in awhile.. just want to check all bases)

it seems like any other option would be way more expensive..... seperate pres.. seperate A/D/A... etc..?..
but i do worry my future expansion would be limited.... (but 16 channels are plenty for me)..

??????
thanks for all you opinions
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I don't own an Onyx, though I do have an older 1202VLZ, which has been a super-useful item.

For what you describe, it sounds like you're on the right track. Some people dis Mackie stuff, but most of it it doesn't suck. And if you get the thing and don't like it for whatever reason, you can eBay it and probably not lose too much off your purchase price. Or buy phildub's, and you have very little downside risk.

Good luck!
Old 2nd February 2007
Here for the gear

channel count

Hi Again,

I don´t think you need to worry about the number of input channels, there are plenty of choices for expanding. I just recently came across a new Australian company, SM Pro Audio that seems to have well designed mic/line mixers at ridiculously low prices. They even have an 8-channel passive design. I plan to get a couple as submixers and plug them into stereo line inputs on my Mackie. I´ve yet to see how individual channel balancing works but I suppose that I´m just gonna monitor the line input and set levels on the outboard accordingly... Anyway, I feel they are worth checking out for anyone looking for extra inputs with good quality and low price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search