The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adding Second Soundcard. Clock?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Head

Adding Second Soundcard. Clock?

Ive been running a Delta1010 sound card for some time now with great results. I know its not the sluttiest piece of gear but i works quite well for my needs. I just purchased a second 1010 to help me incorporate my growing collection of outboard gear into cubase sx. I am wondering if I would benefit from getting an external clock to slave each of the cards to, or will I be fine just running one as a master and one as a slave. Thoughts, opinions, and experiences are greatly appreciated.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Have you bought the second 1010 yet? You might want to sell your first 1010 and buy something like MOTU 24
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Head

yea, already purchased it. got it at a real good price from a friend of a friend. deffinetly would like the MOTU but not in the funds at the moment.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Do both card work together well?
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

1 as a master and 1 as a slave should work just fine. Im sure M-Audio has directions for this hook up in the 1010 manual or somewhere on there site.
Old 30th January 2007
TYY
Gear Addict

I have a 1010 that I clock off a lucid genx6-96. Let me say that the difference between the internal and external clock is DRAMATIC. Is is like a blanket has been lifted off your monitors, to use the cliche. It is not subtle at all. Way more detail, air, sparkle, sheen, life, realism, whatever.

They are quite affordable on ebay and can clock up to 6 devices. I use it to clock my lucid AD9624 and 1010, which I only use for tracking basics. I use the lucid AD for all overdubs. The AD9624 still sounds better than the lucid-clocked 1010, but the difference is less than the difference between the 1010 clocked internally vs. externally.

Do it. The 1010 sounds pretty muffled dead and grainy on its own. Your recordings will improve dramatically with a better clock. btw, I run at 44.1/24.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder if this clock would improve my echo audiofire?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I was looking into this and apparently you can slave up to four delta (including the 1010, the 66, 44, etc.) cards in win xp and i think 3 in os x without internal syncing via their "stacking" feature. i've read where people use s/pdif to sync between to 1010's nicely.
black lion audio has that external clock coming out too...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search