The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help With My Potential Setup...
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

Help With My Potential Setup...

Ok, I've read through a few threads about having this setup -

Digidesign 002 Rack (Preferably with the Black Lion Upgrade) along with a seperate 8 Mic Pre's hooked up via ADAT optical. Total, I'd like 12 pre-amps (4 from the 002, and 8 from an external source).

As of now I will soon have a Tascam FW-1884 control surface with 8 mic pres, but from what I've read from many forums, those pre's don't live very long (unless your really careful with the phantom power situation). Either way, I don't think the pre's will sound any more than mediocre at best, so I planned on using that as a control surface to mix (I hate using the mouse).

So, I was looking at the Focusrite OctoPre LE, 8 channels at 48k. Sounds decent, but I'd really love to stretch for the 96k... And then I stumbled upon...

Presonus Digimax FS

I can get 8 channels of 96k throught ADAT/SMUX, the only problem is that to get the 96k thru the ADAT you have to use 2 ADAT optical out, while the 002R only has 1 in.

Any suggestions on how to get the 8 channels from the Digimax at 96k going into the 002 then on into protools, while still having the 4 pre-amps from the 002R available for use?

Should I simply only send one ADAT Optical out of 4 channels at 96k from the Digimax, and 4 analog outputs (from the Digimax as well) into analog inputs 5-8 on the 002R, leaving the remaing 1-4 preamp inputs on the 002r untouched and available for use?

I hope you followed that, i tried to explain the best I could.

Would that cause any syncing or latency issues?

Any suggestions would be great.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

unless i'm mistaken you can't get 96k into the 002
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by treymonfauntre View Post
unless i'm mistaken you can't get 96k into the 002
I'm slowly but surely leaning away from 96k anyways. I'll just use the 8 channels out via ADAT Optical from my tascam along with the 4 from the 002r at 48k and be happy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search