The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alto CLE 2.0 vs Behringer MDX1600
Old 29th January 2007
Gear interested

Alto CLE 2.0 vs Behringer MDX1600

I bought a bunch of very low end gear for very cheap recently. Classic story of a bunch of gear going untouched for two years and the wifey telling the owner to sell it or else.

So I'm grabbing some of it to put into a live setup. Here's how it looks so far:

Technics S30 / Ensoniq SQR-1 -> Behringer "tube" (haha) preamp -> Virtualizer Pro -> Alto CLE 2.0 gate/compressor/limiter -> Behringer 90w keys amp.

The technics and the ensoniq have a channel each. I use the preamp for basic eq'ing, not actual amplification. I haven't really explored the vPro yet, but its reverb sounds better than the 'verb on the synth and the piano.

Thing is, I also got a Behringer MDX1600, but I swapped in the CLE 2.0 as I've heard very bad things about the MDX1600. Now I'm wondering if I should just go the Behringer as the alto doesn't sound that great, either. I'm finding it hard to A/B them as I don't know enough about outboard gates/compressors. I'm using them to "even out" the live sound, especially when playing soft piano bits.

I'm also wondering if I should be applying the Virtualizer _after_ compressor/limiter, as the Virtualizer clips at 0db.

BTW, I know about the average quality of B gear, so please no "buy this $500 compressor instead" comments. I mix ITB at home - this is just for live/rehearsal work. All the subleties of a decent compressor will be lost in the room's mix anywya.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Do you really need a compressor? If it is really degrading your signal (like much alto & behringer gear will), just take it out of the signal path. The FMR RNC is only $175 and can often be found used in the $125 range. It will run circles around those compressors.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
Do you really need a compressor? If it is really degrading your signal (like much alto & behringer gear will), just take it out of the signal path. The FMR RNC is only $175 and can often be found used in the $125 range. It will run circles around those compressors.
It's not - the signal is already pretty poor (it's coming from a crappy 90's synth and stage piano from when 8mb of sample ROM was considered high end), and the final destination is a keyboard amp.

The overall sound with light compression from the Alto is better than the sound without any compression at all, because otherwise if I thump the keys real hard it clips
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search