The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RNC Compressors Still Cool??
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I still have a RNC. I bought it for one reason, to tame higher blips on acoustic guitar recordings. After futzing with it for a whole weekend, I decided it wasnt good for this.

Running inline after the Hardy, it always seemed to impart a thin sound to the recording, especially on the highs. I ran side by side tests with one Hardy channel not using the RNC, so I really gave it a fair shot IMO.

Having said this, I did some vocals with it, in both modes. It sounded very good, and I dont think there is anything in the price range that can touch it, for that use anyway.

It just didnt work for what I wanted it for, but neither did the Avensons.

Great comp for some things, and I can see its worth is "WORTH" every penny, and some.
Old 31st January 2007
1m1
Here for the gear

RNC Compressors - how do you connect?

I have an RNC, but I've hardly used it. My pre amp is +4 balanced out, and the other place I could insert it is on the analog ins/outs on my Digidesign 192, but that's not very easy to set up cable-wise.

I'm wondering how you are integrating the RNC into your set ups... maybe it'll give me an idea I haven't thought of yet.
Old 31st January 2007
buy some 1:1 transformers (jensen or something like that). put these together with the RNC or RNLA in a 19" box, e voila, a balanced compressor.
Old 31st January 2007
Its easy just make the 2 or 4 cables you need. i just soldered mine. Out of my pacifica to 1/4 mono into the rnc the 1/4 mono to xlr male.

you need to get cables that are xlr pin 2 to 1/4 tip is hot and xlr pin 3 and 1 are soldered to the sleeve of the 1/4 connecter
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
I have an RNC, but I've hardly used it. My pre amp is +4 balanced out, and the other place I could insert it is on the analog ins/outs on my Digidesign 192, but that's not very easy to set up cable-wise.

I'm wondering how you are integrating the RNC into your set ups... maybe it'll give me an idea I haven't thought of yet.
I use a TRS 1/4" patch bay. All pres, lunchbox, and comps and eq hooked up, so is the DMX R100. Works great!!
Old 1st February 2007
1m1
Here for the gear

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Maybe my RNC isn't just doomed to sit in my rack forever.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search