The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Brick VS. THREEQ
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Nut

The Brick VS. THREEQ

I’m trying to decide between the two for an upcoming project I’ve got. I will be using it with an sm57 (for snare) and possibly with some cheaper ribbon mics on slightly overdriven (not metal) guitar amp/sound.

I know that the 3Q has the compressor & eq but I will be mainly using it for its preamp.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Anyone?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

i haven't used a brick, but it seems like those might be two very different sounding units...

fwiw, the 3q is pretty big bang for the buck. maybe buy one of each, do a shootout and keep the winner? good luck!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, that's really like comparing a horse to a camel..errr, something.

Totally different animals.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Nut

I just may. Thanks alot for the good idea.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I will never stop raving about the 3Q, absolutely worth every single penny. I also used it on snares when I owned one, and vocals, and guitars, and bass di. Did them all extremely well.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, heres what I ran into with the brick. I was testing a premium electronics modded 219 for Oktavamod last year. MadGuitarist sent me his brick so I could check it out before buying one. I had the 219 here at the same time the brick was, by coincidence.

I sent Mike samples back using the brick with the 219, and he asked me to use my Hardy M-1 also with the 219, same performance type thing. I didnt think this was a good idea, because I was pretty sure the brick would sound much bigger beefier and fatter than the Hardy on vocals. (I didnt buy the Hardy for vox)

We were both surprised by the results. Not only was the Hardy very close to "as thick&beefy", but a little bit more clear and detailed, and a TON of more output.

I couldnt even get the brick to record acoustic guitar with a close mic maxxed out, not enough gain

There could have been a problem with the Brick I used, but I dont think so. I so wanted to love its thick gooeyness, but there wasnt that much at all... and the M-1 isnt known as thick or gooey, just clean and truthful.

Not only would I go with the Meek for sound, but for the features. The brick is a big one knob box. You have alot of control with any of the Meek boxes. I have a SixQ thaT I love, I can only Imagine its little and older brothers have the same spunk.

Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks guys, i'm definately leaning towards the 3q.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had a 3q and it really wasn't my thing. The compressor popped every time it kicked in. It was a clean box, decent eq, no complaints about the sound, I just didn't dig the comp. The brick is definitely a different animal. As for not enough gain, the one time I was able to borrow a bunch from a friend to try on drums they wound up being unusable because of the lack of a pad (so too much gain you might say?) It worked really well on bass and guitar though.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
I had a 3q and it really wasn't my thing. The compressor popped every time it kicked in. It was a clean box, decent eq, no complaints about the sound, I just didn't dig the comp. The brick is definitely a different animal. As for not enough gain, the one time I was able to borrow a bunch from a friend to try on drums they wound up being unusable because of the lack of a pad (so too much gain you might say?) It worked really well on bass and guitar though.

What do you mean by the compressor "popped". Do you mean when you turned the switch on, because mine never made any sound like that, it was really a nice comp in fact. Also drum tracks being too loud is common with a lot of pres that don't have a pad, doesn't mean they have too much or even a lot of gain. My digi pre's don't have that much gain and I have to leave them all the way down on tom tracks.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear
The 3q compressor is tough to figure out. But once you do, it will kick in just right. It's just a super aggressive compressor.

Also, the EQ on the Meek 3q is real nice. I give a little boost at 800 to guitars, and it makes a big difference.

I think for the price, the Joe Meek 3q may be one of the best deals in gear.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Also, the EQ on the Meek 3q is real nice.
true. pretty underrated, imo. thumbsup
Old 30th January 2007
mds
Lives for gear

I had a brick for awhile....quite colored and very slow responding to transients. Everything was dark and gooey through it. Sometimes a good thing. I was barely using it, so I sold it, but it was pretty cool when I wanted to darken something up....I wouldn't consider it an all around unit at all. The Meek is probably far more versatile.

Mike
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
I couldnt even get the brick to record acoustic guitar with a close mic maxxed out, not enough gain

There could have been a problem with the Brick I used, but I dont think so.
There must have been a problem with your Brick... In my experience it has plenty of gain!
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

The brick gets pretty "hairy" toward the top of the dial... distortionwise. So, even if it says it has 55 db of gain, which is not a ton, but enough on many sources, it only has maybe 45 db if you want a cleanish signal. I use it mainly for stuff that I want distorted or really hot sources. Just my experience.
Old 30th January 2007
mds
Lives for gear

I had somewhat similar experience with the gain knob. In a lot of situations I had it cranked pretty high...I never found I didn't get enough gain, but I would definitely be pushing it super hard in some situations.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

As I said, I just didn't care for the meek 3q, I tried everything with that compressor. I was not trying to use it aggressively though, so maybe it is just the wrong tool for me. It popped when the compression kicked in, that's what I was referring to. I've not had any other comp do that to me. Of course, it is possible I got one that was broken, even though I bought it new.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search