All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundcraft Signature MTK's status
Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
Great minds think alike.

I asked a few days ago about a new model and got this for a reply:

“According to our knowledge in T.S. there is no planes to refresh this model please you may want to check with our dealers like (guitar Center or Sam Ash) in your area

See link https://www.soundcraft.com/en/produc...ture-22-mtk”
Honestly I hope they do, I love my Soundcraft Sig, but I'm dying to use some more outboard compressors. The way I currently run compression is a bit of a runaround (send via group 1-2 and returns on 17/18). Typically use that for drum buss compression. Works great but I would happily pay an extra £500 just for inserts on channels and groups. Really hope they consider it.

Out of interest does anyone know how well this series sold? I would think they would update because I know a few practice spaces with 10 or 12 rooms nearby that are fully using the sig (not MTK) versions. I wonder if we as a community made more noise for a new MTK, that they may develop it a bit sooner.

What do you think?
Old 20th April 2019
Here for the gear

How does signature 12 MTK sound quality compare to Apollo Twin?

Are the pre's and A/D conversion on par with Apollo Twin? Would you get rid of apollo or keep it for A/D conversion between 12mtk and the DAW?
Old 2nd May 2019
Here for the gear

I returned my brand new 12 MTK because of a balance issue (left output channel was 1-2dB lower). Soundcraft replied to the retailer that it was caused by electronic component tolerance and that it was perfectly acceptable to them. Good thing is the retailer is willing to refund the mixer.
Now, I don't know if I should buy another one or go for another brand...
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac
With a heavy heart, I recently eBay'd my Signature 12 MTK because I simply couldn't take the poor driver performance any longer. I loved the hardware, but the 5-year-old USB driver Soundcraft continues to run out there was bad on day 1 and has grown progressively worse for me over time. Presumably, this is due to frequent incremental updates to my OS (Windows 10) without any corresponding update to the driver. This driver came out when Windows 8 was new and 7 was still the overwhelming market-share leader. Don't be fooled by the "last updated" date on the USB driver download page. That evidently refers to the page, not the driver. The driver has been at version 3.20 since way before launch and a checksum comparison of the file out there today and one I downloaded years ago revealed that the binaries are identical.

I *hate* that I had to do this. I replaced it with the PreSonus StudioLive AR12. I like PreSonus as a company and am happy with the AR12. But I liked the MTK better. The EQ and effects were better, and I liked the routing much better. The "super channel" thing with the Bluetooth on the AR12 is pretty great, though. But most of all, the PreSonus driver performs way WAY better for me. There's an unfortunate audible "pop" when it switches between sample rates, but aside from that it's been absolutely flawless. I've thrown everything I can at it, even intentionally going out of my way to bog it down and it's performed like a champ. 256 buffer size is easily achievable, even with multiple huge software sample libraries running concurrently. Even a single library choked the Soundcraft driver even at 512 or 1024.

Anyway, no one probably cares about any of that so not sure why I'm sharing! I guess as a contributor of many, many dozens of posts in this thread, I just wanted to go out with one last comment wishing you all the best of luck! See you on other threads!
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Did any of you tried the Tascam model 24?
Seems to be similar to the 24 MTK but would be good to know how the EQ and effects are, how the driver behaves...
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodweather View Post
Did any of you tried the Tascam model 24?
Seems to be similar to the 24 MTK but would be good to know how the EQ and effects are, how the driver behaves...
For what it's worth I had great performance with my 12mtk before I sold it. I sold it to get a digital board.

Honestly I don't see the point of something like the Tascam as it's the same price as an ashly digimix18. I bought one of the digimix boards and it's amazing. I honestly could never buy another board with just simple 3-4 band EQ's with one sweepable band, like what do you even do with those?
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post
I returned my brand new 12 MTK because of a balance issue (left output channel was 1-2dB lower). Soundcraft replied to the retailer that it was caused by electronic component tolerance and that it was perfectly acceptable to them. Good thing is the retailer is willing to refund the mixer.
Now, I don't know if I should buy another one or go for another brand...
Made the mistake to buy another one, it has the exact same issue, I'm sending this new one back and I'm done with Soundcraft.
These guys never even replied to my emails.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundationsAudio View Post
For what it's worth I had great performance with my 12mtk before I sold it. I sold it to get a digital board.

Honestly I don't see the point of something like the Tascam as it's the same price as an ashly digimix18. I bought one of the digimix boards and it's amazing. I honestly could never buy another board with just simple 3-4 band EQ's with one sweepable band, like what do you even do with those?
Not to mention....look at those INSERTS!
Old 29th June 2019
Here for the gear

wondering if any of you could give me some insight about this issue I'm having with my soundcracft mtk 22.

I just move the mixer to another house and when I connect the power I just got a high pitch noise from the mixer and nothing else, it looks like a dead mixer to me. It's still on warranty but I was wondering if any of you had a similar issue? I tried to connect it to different power extensions and different wall plugs and power cords with no different result.
the mixer was working fine before, there were no issues in transport from one house to the other.

I made a couple of videos showing the issue:
- video 1
- video 2
- video 3
- video 4

thanks for any input!
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by benxiwf View Post
The ufx even though I am not familiar with it much I'm pretty sure can handle any sample rate. The mtk22 is fixed at 48 khz so you have to go with that rate. The aggregate setup works well on Macs.
Check your Private Messages.
Old 19th July 2019
Here for the gear

Hey. I've been interested in getting a soundcraft mtk. What I don't understand and no one ever makes it clear, you can record the channels to the daw then you can remix it. However, does it remix it just from the last two channels to a one stereo track or can it record all channels again with eq/mix? I'm guessing not. But can you chose what is returned? Yes. Can you listen to what is not returned at the same time? Yes. How does this work in practise?
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxdefrunxxx View Post
Hey. I've been interested in getting a soundcraft mtk. What I don't understand and no one ever makes it clear, you can record the channels to the daw then you can remix it. However, does it remix it just from the last two channels to a one stereo track or can it record all channels again with eq/mix? I'm guessing not. But can you chose what is returned? Yes. Can you listen to what is not returned at the same time? Yes. How does this work in practise?
If you are sending channels from DAW, unfortunately you can't record them back individually from MTK. Too bad they didn't implement that, mixer I used before, Midas Venice F-16 could multitrack usb sends back without problems...
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxdefrunxxx View Post
I don't think the board will do what you're looking for. It won't record individual channels when USB is the source, just a stereo mixdown.

The way that I use this board is to record the individual tracks through the USB into the DAW. If for some reason I don't want to mix ITB, I'll send the tracks back out to the board via the USB and record a stereo mix. There is no recall of course, so the mix is pretty much final.
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoless View Post
If you are sending channels from DAW, unfortunately you can't record them back individually from MTK. Too bad they didn't implement that, mixer I used before, Midas Venice F-16 could multitrack usb sends back without problems...
While I appreciate that this part of the forums is for people on severe budgets or whatever, there are multitudes of ways to use the mtk 12 or 22 from the daw.

Forget you even have usb on the board for a moment.

With 8 or 16 or 24 outs on a....different...usb audio interface connected to one's computer....an interface or daisy-chained wordclocked etc interfaces with quarter inch outs....you connect 12 or 22 etc wires from the outs of your daw (interface) in to the quarter inch or xlrs on the soundcraft (yeah, you may need some trs to xlr cables). And again....at this stage, you're not using the mtk usb at all.

You can gainstage line-ins at the mtk xlr inputs. No one ever said the xlrs can only take mics.

Voila....you now have a standard console connection FROM your tape machine.....er...daw.

With your daw routed into the mtk...and using or not using your daw automation etc, you are now treating daw channels/stems to another creamy round of analog....not that the mtk is creamy sounding, but whatever.

The stereo out of the mtk at this point (mix time) can be fed to your mixdown machine....er....second computer if you use the daw farm concept.

There are all kinds of uses with an mtk wired up this way....including....you now have a rudimentary sort of insert capability at the board.

The built-in usb on the mtk isn't a limitation when you don't even use it for every task.
Old 22nd July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
While I appreciate that this part of the forums is for people on severe budgets or whatever, there are multitudes of ways to use the mtk 12 or 22 from the daw.

Forget you even have usb on the board for a moment.

With 8 or 16 or 24 outs on a....different...usb audio interface connected to one's computer....an interface or daisy-chained wordclocked etc interfaces with quarter inch outs....you connect 12 or 22 etc wires from the outs of your daw (interface) in to the quarter inch or xlrs on the soundcraft (yeah, you may need some trs to xlr cables). And again....at this stage, you're not using the mtk usb at all.

You can gainstage line-ins at the mtk xlr inputs. No one ever said the xlrs can only take mics.

Voila....you now have a standard console connection FROM your tape machine.....er...daw.

With your daw routed into the mtk...and using or not using your daw automation etc, you are now treating daw channels/stems to another creamy round of analog....not that the mtk is creamy sounding, but whatever.

The stereo out of the mtk at this point (mix time) can be fed to your mixdown machine....er....second computer if you use the daw farm concept.

There are all kinds of uses with an mtk wired up this way....including....you now have a rudimentary sort of insert capability at the board.

The built-in usb on the mtk isn't a limitation when you don't even use it for every task.

I think the same i was just checking It's a great idea. I want to eventually get other analog mixers to do pre eq as well. I'd like to find a small vintage mixer with a couple of aux's or some individuale post fader outputs or sub mix outputsto gowith the mtk and to take to gigs as well.
Old 1st August 2019
Here for the gear

I really want to like this mixer / usb interface. But right now it seams like the opersit of soundcrafting. These usb return buttons on each channel don't serve their purpose. First for me to even hear my daw I have to push the rtn buttons on channel 1 and sometimes 2 or what ever you last recorded with.

They just send whats coming from the computer, theres no way for each track in the daw to be sent to an individual channel, it sends it to the channels eq, pan a channel left the whole mix is on the left of that channels eq.

You cant record with eq unless you record the last channel as well which I forget to do because its way too much hassle. So how am I supposed to mix? This is ridiculous this is just like the zoom h6, marketed as multitrack and overdubable but you cant, a recording can't be modified like you'd expect or in this case it can't be eq'd with the mixer like as if it's a mtk. The reason I am frustrated is cause I thought I could buff recordings from other projects and mix it in with new recordings or just mix later. And because of all of this and the money spent, i dont think that's as much of a bargain as people say it is. Right now im thinking of returning it again for an allen and heath if i cant get any good soundcrafting out of this.

To sum up my beaf with it which has really grown since using it is the fact that the usb return is not multitrack, not even sure if it's stereo. With the fact that the design of this device seams to be orianted for usb return, the functions counteract and im left with confusion and a nice recording ideas that are muddy an cant be salvaged.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

I bro my name is lean mi from argentina i nedd help mi signature 12 don turn on and mi tecnical say is tis component but is brock and need the picture the component its near the plug power please thanks
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

I ****ing love this board. Whoever designed the analog side is a genius! Hybrid Mixing is what this thing excels at. It might not give you all the options you think you want. It just gives you exactly the things you really need for an awesome hybrid mixing rig suitable for tracking, mixing and mastering.For some people that means you might have to rethink your workflow, signal flow and approach to gain staging. Let your daw do the heavy lifting and stem everything out in stereo groups. Use it with Harrison Mixbus, WavesRack and a monitor controller and you can get professional results for a fraction of the price of what it would cost to mod a Soundcraft Ghost. Super low noise, low crosstalk,no phase issues, excellent summing and a ton of headroom. Huge sonic footprint. This master bus on this board will kick the **** out of a Toft ATB. You can slam it hard and it just sounds great. Probably the last real Soundcraft analog design we will ever see and they put their best into it. A hidden gem of a
console. Well Done Soundcraft UK team!
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you Gelabs as this was EXACTLY my problem with the Soundcraft Signature MTK 22. I fixed mine for some disassembly and about a dollar invested in capacitors. capacitors C111 and C113.
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

I have owned the MTK 22 multi for a while. Got rid of it. I Started having problems with the power supply. Also had same overheating issue in the USB port. Don't use a lamp out of it or use anything in it you'll burn it up.

I wouldn't got as far to say it would smoke a Toft. I've worked a few times on a Toft. The MTk is decent board with quirks but usable and decent at the price point. Only it's not made to last..
I tried using this board along with my RME UFx+ to do analog summing, but noticed the higher noise floor it added. When I removed the MTK22 and went straight to RME UFX+ Everything was super quite. My studio is properly grounded, wired with only the best cables and I Could certainly tell a difference. The noise I also started experiencing could have been related also to the power supply. Soundcraft Customer support if you want to call it that is little help so I got rid of it.

With the RME, RME ARC Controller, Total mix, and some good plugins this board isn't needed. If you want analog color throw a burnley 73 some compression on and that will destroy the

I liked the analog workflow on the desk but honestly I started having problems with and just didn't think it would last. In closing the say the preamps are same as the Soundcraft Ghost. (or they are) I don't know about that. Close but not exactly the same as I remember. A little lower gain and noise floor is higher. just my thoughts..
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Head

22 MTK - 1 month usage

Hello,
i decided to participate to this thread as i think i have something to share to help others evaluate and perhaps do good decision with this board. I bought it last months only for studio work. I am kind of analog addict with decent outboard on masterchain including Pure2 Antelope and i am using this board for summing and putting another analog magic sheen/EQ/Pan on my VI tracks from Logic.

What i can share with you is that i find the board very solid, quiet enough for this purpose except the FX part of it. For anybody here who is complaining about noise try to don´t use and even remove Lexicon FX from the composition (keep faders down), in my board this 2 FX units are extremely noisy, perhaps acceptable for live use, but for sure not for recording, mixing. It is a pitty as the FX sounds quite usable. Anyway without them the board is quiet enough. For gainstaging is of course handy to route channels to sub and when you boost them same as your master the level back into daw is hot enough.

Converter are decent and only problem is routing DA on every channel after the preamp, which is completely logical as the board was designed to capture performance through preamp and then mix it back avoiding double preamping, but for my purpose i would need to buy some 24ch DA in the future to benefit from the preamps to color my softsynth.

EQ is purely analog eq and i very like the reverse Q function as you can super easily create punchy drums, deep bass (boost on 60hz is great), 2 parametric mids gives you nice flexibility to shape your sound. What i expect and what i get is the work with analog eq is just different experience, to make good sounding kick with it is matter of seconds compared to stock endless possibilities capable digital EQ in Logic, but with the result that something is still missing at the end. No aditional punch, no deepness, weird phase.

Analog panning is the same story, perhaps it is because the nonlinearities through the whole electric circuits, but make tracks wider is pure joy, just simple turning 2 knobs on 2 mono channels.

Faders are great and very nice and solid, on the other hand the EQ knobs are very flimsy and here you can find where Soundcraft cut the costs.

Overall i very enjoy the work on this board and its sound fits very well into electronic music field.
This board is one of the advantage of this time, as if i want to have board with this functionality and quality 10yr ago i would need to spend xx times more.

Another point is the quality of converter in terms of precision, as i have Pure 2 in my possession i must say the quality is acceptable but no near to this league. So for composing i still prefer to work via Pure, where i can hear much easily details like a att, rel of compressors etc. and when i finish nearly whole song then i spread all tracks to channels of SC and enjoy additional analog mojo, better summing, slightly lower resolution, which fits into electronic music and makes each track easier to listen, great EQ ( of course we are not speaking about SSL, Trident etc. but still), panning and then i record it for another mastering processes.

Last point is regarding the stability of drivers, i am on iMac pro, so basicaly i shouldn´t have a problem, but i had. The stability was not perfect in aggregate mode with my Pure and glitches occured sometimes till and i think now i am starting another neverending discussion - i invest into professional USB cable - Audioquest. Since than, no problem at all and rocksolid performance. It is very sad that even high end companies such an Antelope completely overlooked this cruical part of the chain as USB cables affect the quality of the performance tremendously and not only in terms of data connection but soundwise.

Have a nice day and enjoy your current or future MTK!
Cheers
Leoš

PS: pls excuse my poor english..

Here is an example of process described above, our first MTK22 techno production, vocal "Shock" was recorded through SSL Alpha, but whole song has been summed, eq, pan through the board:

https://soundcloud.com/leo-lycra/leo...ony-vega-shock

Last edited by leolycra; 9th September 2019 at 01:59 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Too good to be true. I received mine in June of 2016. Worked like a charm for three years. BUT....It seems that issues are popping up with the usb on these units. Mine started with a repeated "pop" in FX Return 1. About the same tempo as Mountain's Mississippi Queen.
Shortly thereafter my Mac no longer sees it in Audio/Midi. I went to the Harman forum and quite a few people are reporting this.
I haven't gotten any response from Soundcraft. I also tried joining the forum to add my experience but the email verification portion of signing up doesn't work. I've tried different email addresses and nothing. It's not getting caught in spam or trash it just doesn't seem to send.
Very frustrating.
Anyone else seeing issues with theirs? I searched here and don't find any reports. For what it does and the price point it's perfect for what I need.
Does anyone have schematics for the Signature MTK series? I haven't been able to find those either.
Al

Last edited by Al C; 4 weeks ago at 03:39 PM.. Reason: User error
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hi. I’m considering getting this mixer for my small studio, hybrid setup with a mix of itb, VST-heavy production in Ableton and a few hardware synths here and there. It checks all the marks but wasn’t able to get enough info on the audio interface side of things.
If I were to use it as my main audio interface for itb use, how would it perform in terms of latency, etc. I’m a Windows 10 user, and would need to make sure I could get decent performance while in the box (i.e. want to make sure I won’t get stuck with 20ms latency...).
Anyone using it as I’m planning to?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C View Post
Too good to be true. I received mine in June of 2016. Worked like a charm for three years. BUT....It seems that issues are popping up with the usb on these units. Mine started with a repeated "pop" in FX Return 1. About the same tempo as Mountain's Mississippi Queen.
Shortly thereafter my Mac no longer sees it in Audio/Midi. I went to the Harman forum and quite a few people are reporting this.
I haven't gotten any response from Soundcraft. I also tried joining the forum to add my experience but the email verification portion of signing up doesn't work. I've tried different email addresses and nothing. It's not getting caught in spam or trash it just doesn't seem to send.
Very frustrating.
Anyone else seeing issues with theirs? I searched here and don't find any reports. For what it does and the price point it's perfect for what I need.
Does anyone have schematics for the Signature MTK series? I haven't been able to find those either.
Al
Yep, my USB died after a couple years. Had to go back to the shop where I bought it for repairs. $200 later I had a working unit again.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search