The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft Signature MTK's status
Old 29th May 2018
  #931
Gear Maniac
 

Anyone have some mixes to share they have made using this as part of their work flow? I have one and think it is quite a fun piece of equipment but most of my projects are on the go so I dont get to really fully appreciate it most of the time. I also have enjoyed using it live a few times where I was able to step away from a digital board. (though I quite love working on digital boards)
Old 29th May 2018
  #932
Deleted User
Guest
We made this with the 12MTK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBo8t2950A

We used a stam 1073pre on the Vox to the line on the MTK and Bias FX on the electric guitar.

Everything via the 12MTK mic pre's & Line into Laptop.
Old 29th May 2018
  #933
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheld32 View Post
We made this with the 12MTK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBo8t2950A

We used a stam 1073pre on the Vox to the line on the MTK and Bias FX on the electric guitar.

Everything via the 12MTK mic pre's & Line into Laptop.
Great recording! Did you sum the channels through the board?
Old 29th May 2018
  #934
Deleted User
Guest
Yep there was some processing after, we also have the signature MTK22 back home so we ran the tracks back through the board using the Stam SA2A on Vox, and waves plugins 1176 & CLA2A on guitars, and recorded a stereo track out of the MTK22 back into Logic, then put a Waves API 2500 on master for bounce down to 16B AIFF.
Old 29th May 2018
  #935
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheld32 View Post
Yep there was some processing after, we also have the signature MTK22 back home so we ran the tracks back through the board using the Stam SA2A on Vox, and waves plugins 1176 & CLA2A on guitars, and recorded a stereo track out of the MTK22 back into Logic, then put a Waves API 2500 on master for bounce down to 16B AIFF.
Did this one as well, same process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CWxa7r8DXk
Old 1st June 2018
  #936
Gear Maniac
 
gelabs's Avatar
Power supply on my 22MTK is dying ... Not enough juice to power the USB sound-card and barely enough to power the internal effects.
Does anyone knows where to find the service manual (because Soundcraft support seems to be non-existent at the moment ...) ?
Old 9th June 2018
  #937
Deleted be0c6fb
Guest
Anyone know if you can plug two instruments into each mono channel of the MTK via the XLR and 1/4" input at the same time and both audio sources can share the same channel fader/eq/etc (aside from potential impedance issues)?
Old 12th June 2018
  #938
Gear Head
 
B12b4ucant's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
Anyone know if you can plug two instruments into each mono channel of the MTK via the XLR and 1/4" input at the same time and both audio sources can share the same channel fader/eq/etc (aside from potential impedance issues)?
You can only use 1 input per channel. Either the 1/4' or the XLR.. not both at the same time. The stereo channels have a left and right 1/4" inputs, but you'd have to choose between the one XLR, OR 2)- 1/4" jacks.
Old 12th June 2018
  #939
Gear Head
 
B12b4ucant's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelabs View Post
Power supply on my 22MTK is dying ... Not enough juice to power the USB sound-card and barely enough to power the internal effects.
Does anyone knows where to find the service manual (because Soundcraft support seems to be non-existent at the moment ...) ?
I wish there was a service manual, but none exists for end users, that I know of. I think I have another fader acting up; #6 previously AND #5 now. I wiggled the other faders a little and they seem to be OK. Would love to know the internal mechanics of this thing before I open it up.
Old 15th June 2018
  #940
Gear Maniac
 
gelabs's Avatar
Well I did fix it myself, replacing C111 and C113 capacitors. Everything is fine for now ... but not thanks to Soundcraft support ...
Old 15th June 2018
  #941
Gear Maniac
 
zero64's Avatar
 

Yea, there basically isn't any. My MTK has been sitting at the shop for months now while they wait for Soundcraft to send a damn part.
Old 15th June 2018
  #942
Here for the gear
 

Soundcraft is not very wise ignoring threads like this. People base their purchase decisions on what they glean out of these forums. I own one of their products, but probably never again. I have heard other people refer to them as SoundCrap.
Old 15th June 2018
  #943
Gear Maniac
 

Have you guys actually tried calling soundcraft? I have used their boards in a performing arts center for five years now and have called numerous times with questions and they have always walked me through even some odd type setups I was trying and even followed up by email. I lost a fader on my 22mtk and they sent out a couple in a day or two. I have called for advice on which product fit my needs before and they have discussed that. I remember when the mtks were delayed in release and they were very willing to discuss why over the phone. So many of these audio companies don't even have an American number. There are some great companies out there too but Soundcraft has always responded to my tech requests.
Old 26th June 2018
  #944
Here for the gear
 

New windows 10 update bad for soundcraft?

New windows 10 update automatically ran on my computer, and now my PC doesnt detect my Soundcraft mtk 12.

Reinstalled the drivers, but still, not even the soundcraft app detects it being plugged in.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 27th June 2018
  #945
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by onionjosh View Post
New windows 10 update automatically ran on my computer, and now my PC doesnt detect my Soundcraft mtk 12.

Reinstalled the drivers, but still, not even the soundcraft app detects it being plugged in.

Anyone else have this issue?
Yes, I experienced the same issue with a Windows 10 update about a year ago. If I recall, I had to manually roll back the update to the previous build. Google "roll back windows 10 updates" and you'll find instructions on how to do so, if you find it's necessary.
Old 28th June 2018
  #946
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadh View Post
Yes, I experienced the same issue with a Windows 10 update about a year ago. If I recall, I had to manually roll back the update to the previous build. Google "roll back windows 10 updates" and you'll find instructions on how to do so, if you find it's necessary.
Rolled it back, reinstalled drivers, rebooted computer.

Still doesnt detect it. Double checked with different usb ports and cables.

It's definitely the windows update. Wish i had a choice to opt out of their updates
Old 28th June 2018
  #947
Gear Maniac
 
zero64's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionjosh View Post
Rolled it back, reinstalled drivers, rebooted computer.

Still doesnt detect it. Double checked with different usb ports and cables.

It's definitely the windows update. Wish i had a choice to opt out of their updates
Did you try a different computer? I thought I had a Windows problem too, but it turned that the USB interface on mine died entirely. (That was five months ago -- I'm still waiting for Soundcraft to send the parts to fix it.)
Old 5th July 2018
  #948
I just got an MTK12, relatively speaking it's a vast improvement over my first mixer, a Yamaha mg12/4 (r.i.p.). I am not an advanced user of hardware mixers, so the routing options are new. Being able to bounce a signal round trip mixer->computer->mixer etc is new to me too. I'm trying to multitrack hardware synths with synced iOS. iOS can either be line-in or via thunderbolt on a different aggregate device. Initial set up is easy, but routing is tricky. In concept, they've built a very compact mixer to handle a wide variety of options, and at the price I'm happy with it right now. The EQ is great, effects can be subtle or very pronounced, not sure if they are a novelty or something I'll use yet. If the USB craps out quickly I will go ballistic, but so far, so good. Right now I'm cueing usb -> mixer and hearing a lot of buffer artifacts. Im guessing this is part of the fun.
Old 8th July 2018
  #949
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelabs View Post
Well I did fix it myself, replacing C111 and C113 capacitors. Everything is fine for now ... but not thanks to Soundcraft support ...
What were the symptoms of your dying power supply?

My Signature 22 MTK has developed an issue with the USB connections (both audio I/O to computer AND the USB accessory port used for a light) and with the effects section. At first I noticed the accessory lamp I had plugged into the socket had started flickering. At the same time, Logic Pro lost it's connection to the Soundcraft MTK audio device. Upon powering down and restarting both my Mac and the MTK, I have no connection to the MTK. It is not listed in the Mac's USB device tree. Also, the effects section of the MTK no longer appears to work. Sometimes on power-up many of the effects types are lit up at the same time, often with a combination of blue and white leds. If the unit powers up with with only "room" lit, that indicator flashes on and off every 2-3 seconds. I am not able to successfuly select a different effect type.
Old 8th July 2018
  #950
Gear Maniac
 
gelabs's Avatar
Yep, exactly those symptoms, you described them perfectly. Looks like the 5V rail is failing.
I would also advise against plugging anything that would drain current in the USB socket.

The two capacitors C111 and C113 should have a convex shape at the top, a slight bulge. Sane capacitors should have a flat top.
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft Signature MTK's status-mtk22.jpg  
Old 8th July 2018
  #951
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelabs View Post
Yep, exactly those symptoms, you described them perfectly. Looks like the 5V rail is failing.
I would also advise against plugging anything that would drain current in the USB socket.

The two capacitors C111 and C113 should have a convex shape at the top, a slight bulge. Sane capacitors should have a flat top.
Thanks for the reply. This failure sucks, but at least now I know what to do.

I have two of these units - the 12MTK and the 22MTK. I haven't been into the 22 yet, but earlier this year I had to replace caps on the 12's main outs. (My fault for running phantom into them.) I do like these mixers a lot, hoping I can keep them both operational long term.
Old 11th July 2018
  #952
I'm experiencing a lot of buffering/latency artifacts monitoring typical USB playback (youtube) via MTK12 to chan 11/12 from my 2018 macbookpro.
Old 21st July 2018
  #953
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalserna View Post
What were the symptoms of your dying power supply?

My Signature 22 MTK has developed an issue with the USB connections (both audio I/O to computer AND the USB accessory port used for a light) and with the effects section. At first I noticed the accessory lamp I had plugged into the socket had started flickering. At the same time, Logic Pro lost it's connection to the Soundcraft MTK audio device. Upon powering down and restarting both my Mac and the MTK, I have no connection to the MTK. It is not listed in the Mac's USB device tree. Also, the effects section of the MTK no longer appears to work. Sometimes on power-up many of the effects types are lit up at the same time, often with a combination of blue and white leds. If the unit powers up with with only "room" lit, that indicator flashes on and off every 2-3 seconds. I am not able to successfuly select a different effect type.
I went in my studio this morning to play around and Ableton gave an error stating no audio device loaded. I check and did not see the MTK 22. I checked the device manager and did not see it. I uninstalled the drivers, resintalled, nothing. I rolled Windows 10 back, nothing. I powered down the MTK and when I turned back on I get all lights in effects section on. Windows does not see it at all.

What is it I have to get fixed?

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2018
  #954
Gear Maniac
 
zero64's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner7 View Post
I went in my studio this morning to play around and Ableton gave an error stating no audio device loaded. I check and did not see the MTK 22. I checked the device manager and did not see it. I uninstalled the drivers, resintalled, nothing. I rolled Windows 10 back, nothing. I powered down the MTK and when I turned back on I get all lights in effects section on. Windows does not see it at all.

What is it I have to get fixed?

Thanks!
That's the exact problem mine had. I took it back to the shop where I bought it (months ago) and they're still waiting for the parts from Soundcraft. I've forgotten what parts it needed, but the bill is gonna be something like $300.
Old 22nd July 2018
  #955
Gear Nut
 

Wow, I am not sure if that is worth it for me. That is half the price of a different brand new mixer that may not stop working right after the one year warranty mark. I like the MTK mixer a lot but I am not happy that it failed like this. I got mine from Guitar Center so not sure is they would repair it like that.
Old 2nd August 2018
  #956
Gear Maniac
 

I have been learning to use Smaart and took some measurements of the 22MTK today that many of you may be interested in checking out! For those of you not familiar with Smaart, the top graph is the Impulse response, the second graph is the phase, and the final graph is magnitude/frequency response which is what most will be interested in, although it is neat to see how eq effects phase and you can see the difference between a standard eq like this and a linear phase eq.
So, this first graph shows that the phase response is quite good and with no eq, the mixer reproduces a virtually totally flat response. Passing through the analog part of the board is virtually no latency: .02ms. This is expected in an analog board. This is of course not measuring the usb i/o in this case.

The next two are with the low end turned all the way up and all the way down. Pretty cool how the eq curves are down here.


The next two are the high eq adjustment all the way up and then down. As you can see, the boost puts a little dip at 2k.


and finally a boost at 2k and cut at 2k. Here you can see the asymmetric Sapphyre EQ at work just as Soundcraft describes.

Old 15th August 2018
  #957
Gear Maniac
 
gelabs's Avatar
Bought an infrared thermometer for the lulz.
Temperature taken on the surface of the FX display.

(Inside the power supply it says 52.3°)
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft Signature MTK's status-mtktemp.jpg  
Old 17th August 2018
  #958
Here for the gear
 

So I just got the MTK12 used, it's my first solid mixer after using a tiny cheap alto for years. Loving it so far but I can't get the USB/driver to work!

When plugged in the usb registers and prompts the drivers to try and install, but they keep failing. So I manually installed them but the USB still isn't registering.

Anything I might be doing wrong? Tried it with my desktop and laptop which both run windows 7, drivers failed on both. Might borrow a mac and see if it works with that.

Anyways I see a lot of mixed feedback about the MTK mixers, got mine used for a good price though and hopefully it holds up alright.

Oh yeah, tried running the USB into a few programs including: Audacity, N-Track, and Ableton Lite. Might just not be setting it up right, but in N-Track the Soundcraft USB option did show up but when I tried selecting it an error popped up and it reverted to the original audio input. The error says "N-Track was unable to open selected audio devices". But in Audacity I can't even get the USB to show up as an option.

One last note, the Soundcraft USB Control Panel says "no devices connected" no matter what I try. Anyways thanks in advance for any help!
Old 20th August 2018
  #959
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclover420 View Post
So I just got the MTK12 used, it's my first solid mixer after using a tiny cheap alto for years. Loving it so far but I can't get the USB/driver to work!

When plugged in the usb registers and prompts the drivers to try and install, but they keep failing. So I manually installed them but the USB still isn't registering.

Anything I might be doing wrong? Tried it with my desktop and laptop which both run windows 7, drivers failed on both. Might borrow a mac and see if it works with that.

Anyways I see a lot of mixed feedback about the MTK mixers, got mine used for a good price though and hopefully it holds up alright.

Oh yeah, tried running the USB into a few programs including: Audacity, N-Track, and Ableton Lite. Might just not be setting it up right, but in N-Track the Soundcraft USB option did show up but when I tried selecting it an error popped up and it reverted to the original audio input. The error says "N-Track was unable to open selected audio devices". But in Audacity I can't even get the USB to show up as an option.

One last note, the Soundcraft USB Control Panel says "no devices connected" no matter what I try. Anyways thanks in advance for any help!
1. Be sure no other audio interfaces/soundcards are being used, including any on-motherboard soundcard.
2. Make sure you're manually installing this driver: https://www.soundcraft.com/en/softwa...o-driver-v3-20
3. If still no luck and you have access to a Mac, plug it in and see what happens. It won't need any drivers at all on a Mac.
4. Cross your fingers and hope the guy you bought it from wasn't selling it because USB connectivity is broken.
Old 24th August 2018
  #960
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadh View Post
1. Be sure no other audio interfaces/soundcards are being used, including any on-motherboard soundcard.
2. Make sure you're manually installing this driver: Soundcraft Multichannel USB | Soundcraft - Professional Audio Mixers
3. If still no luck and you have access to a Mac, plug it in and see what happens. It won't need any drivers at all on a Mac.
4. Cross your fingers and hope the guy you bought it from wasn't selling it because USB connectivity is broken.
I am still fairly new to audio interfaces/recording, how do I check to make sure my sound card isn't busy with something else? I just checked the soundcard in the control panel and it says it is working properly, no updates either.

That is the driver I manually installed as well, how would I check to make sure it installed right though? The Soundcraft control panel installed but just says no devices connected.

Guess trying a mac is my next step. The guy I bought it from seemed like a nice older fellow, so I don't think he would have pulled that. Everything else seems to work fine.

Been using the group outputs with an adaptor with the line input on my PC which has worked alright so far, but I really want to get the USB working.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump