The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
high production boost for little cash
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

high production boost for little cash

So I'm thinking of a way to boost my studio with little money, mostly I need more juice in the mixdown stage. I create EDM so I don't need allot of power on the input stage.

Currently I'm using a Powerbook 1.5Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM, Saffire interface with Cubase SX3.

My options I've thought of are:

1) Get a cheap USB or Firewire audio interface to set-up VST system link with an old P4 PC I have. This way I can use another good quality CPU intense reverb or something while mixing down in cubase. My only thing is that the saffire only has an s/pdif I/O source.

2) Bump up my Ram to 2GB, which I don't think will help much on mixdown stage.

Or screw it and put some cash down on a Powercore.

Any other suggestions?
Old 23rd January 2007
Buy an external reverb...

Do some creative bouncing...
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Practice, practice, practice.

heh
Old 24th January 2007
said n00b 1 to n00b 2

Kidding...

Seriously...it's kinda a lame excuse throwing more horsepower at it...
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Ya, I'm kicking myself for going all digital a few years back. sold my lexicon mpx-1 and a bunch of ****.. .

So what do you think of the powercore?

Any idea how maney compressors and reverb units can be going at the same time. I've looked for some sort of chart outlining this but can't find anything.
Old 25th January 2007
A couple friends of mine have them and sing their praises....

It's def a good place to be going to I think.

Esp if you need to free up your CPU.

I don't know though, I think you're all nuts, I'm on a 1.67 ghz powerbook g4 with 1gb ram and I can run so much junk and so many plugins...tons of tracks.

Just seems strange throwing horsepower at it when maybe it's your workflow that's a bit...iffy
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd go for a powercore.

I have one and it is a very good buy. The reverbs and eq's are amazing, the compressors also very good. Great thing is the price just dropped and you can buy plugs from the tc6000 platform later additionally if you want to.

It's also quite powerful. at 44.1/24 bits a stereo compressor/eq takes only 15% (mono 8%)of one of the four dsp's.Also running 8 hi-res reverbs simultanously is no problem at all.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

^^^ thanks, I was concerned that I may only be able to run a few compressors and something like 2 reverbs.. but from the sounds of things I can run allot of things at once. Thanks for the input.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

UAD-1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search