The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Konnekt's pre's VS. other pre's Single-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Konnekt's pre's VS. other pre's

I was reading in the thread below that someone compared the konnekt's pre's to a SPL GoldMike pre and couldnt really tell the difference. So that got me thinking, what type of pre's would i have to get in order to really start hearing a real difference?

I mean, damn, I know the Konnekt's pres are definitely useable, I have used them myself, but are they as good as like a P-solo or RNP? or are those in a totally different league?
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

The preamps on the Konnekt 8 and 24D are the same, and they sound amazing. Very quiet and crystal clear top-end definition without any distortion and I had them cranked pretty far with a Silicone Valve V6 MXL condenser mic. I've heard them with a stereo pair of Earthworks mic as well, these mics went up to 30KHz and the stereo imaging in the recording of a drum kit was phenomenal. Very realistic and lifelike. When the drum recording was played back on a nice Genelec setup I could swear the drums were in front of me.

Overall, I'd say there isn't any big difference between these preamps and the pres on the Apogee Mini-Me which I've heard as well. My ears are good and I couldn't tell any big differences. Both were powerful and quiet with lots of clean distortion-free gain and a crystal clear laser precision top-end, no harshness or thinness. A very full and defined sound.

The imaging and depth of field is very good on both preamps. I would say that the rule of diminishing returns comes into play when you get to this level. Spend a whole lot more and get a tiny little bit better, but not much.

As far as value for money goes, the Konnekt 24D is a much better buy than an Apogee Mini-Me/Mini-DAC combo, that's for sure.

Ben
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

I also own the K24D and yes I agree with the above, and In love with my K24D the thing is amazing!

I just also got a Joemeek SixQ, but then this is a channel strip and a different world, which is were the difference is (comp/eq/color). I use it for bass mainly.

Now the problem is that with these two units, I have such a pallet of sounds now, that I just dont know what to use sometimes LOL!!! Besides the hours and hours of fun I have...
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Same as every other pre in that price range.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous View Post
Same as every other pre in that price range.
hmm interesting tell more about your experience with the pre's on Konnekt
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
hmm interesting tell more about your experience with the pre's on Konnekt
Well, you can believe that the pres are different if you want, but pres within a price group are very similar. Even after that it usually takes more than one track for them to start making a real difference. BTW, I wasn't a big fan of the interface and returned it. Thanks for asking.
Old 25th January 2007
Here for the gear

well the Konnekt 8 costs $300 and the K24 costs $500. so by your explanation, would you say that the preamps on either Konnekt (which are the same) are comparable to a preamp in the $500 range, like the RNP or Grace 101 ?

i'm not sayin I dont believe you, but the Konnekt is an interface that includes various features, including pre's. the grace and RNP are separate, dedicated pre's. I am not sure, but I would think the dedicated pre's may sound better then the konnekt's pre's...
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE CACA MAN View Post
well the Konnekt 8 costs $300 and the K24 costs $500. so by your explanation, would you say that the preamps on either Konnekt (which are the same) are comparable to a preamp in the $500 range, like the RNP or Grace 101 ?

i'm not sayin I dont believe you, but the Konnekt is an interface that includes various features, including pre's. the grace and RNP are separate, dedicated pre's. I am not sure, but I would think the dedicated pre's may sound better then the konnekt's pre's...
I would say that a single pre for $500 and an interface for $400 with 2 mic pres, 6 or so line level in, effects, midi, firewire connectivity and a host of other things are not in the same range as far as their pres go. I have seen people argue that all pres below $700 or so are very similar though.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Guru

Sorry, I just saw that this is a new religion. I'll leave you guys to your services.
Old 25th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
I would say that a single pre for $500 and an interface for $400 with 2 mic pres, 6 or so line level in, effects, midi, firewire connectivity and a host of other things are not in the same range as far as their pres go.
I agree. Though the konnekt's pre's are definitely very useable and sound great, I cant imagine them being better than a separate dedicated pre costing about $500.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Why can't you imagine it? Didn't you listen to the preamp files? The goldmike is well over 500 and the difference was minute. Not that I'm defending my 'religion' konnekt. I have one on the way and I plan on giving it a good workout against other pres before I make judgement.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgyptionRing View Post
Why can't you imagine it? Didn't you listen to the preamp files? The goldmike is well over 500 and the difference was minute. Not that I'm defending my 'religion' konnekt. I have one on the way and I plan on giving it a good workout against other pres before I make judgement.
There is generally very little difference on one track from one preamp and one track from another. The difference comes from having the sonic signature from that preamp on a bunch of tracks. Better preamps stack better than cheaper ones.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
The difference comes from having the sonic signature from that preamp on a bunch of tracks. Better preamps stack better than cheaper ones.
That´s a good point there Sid...
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The difference comes from having the sonic signature from that preamp on a bunch of tracks.
Yes I realize this, that's why I'm holding judgement. 3Q is low cost and stacks pretty well, better than any of the middle-class pre's I've heard.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
There is generally very little difference on one track from one preamp and one track from another. The difference comes from having the sonic signature from that preamp on a bunch of tracks. Better preamps stack better than cheaper ones.

good point yes...

and so i ask...has anyone have any experience with how the Metric Halo ULN2 pre's would 'stack' ???
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Maybe....
but only if everything else in the signal chain is "perfect".

If you don't know what you're doing even high end pres can sound like ****. Things like placing the mice, preformence of the musicians and room have way bigger impact on the summing of tracks than just changing a $300 pre out with a $2k one...

The quality of converters and preamps today of some of the interfaces (e.g Fireface) is impressive and I think if you cannot get a professional or at least a "high end" demo recording out of it - it is certanly not the preamps that need attension...
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

not saying that gear does not matter, it does naturally.....
Old 19th February 2007
Gear Nut

Otherwise we couldn't have fun discussing it. And this board would be redundant heh .
Old 17th March 2007
Here for the gear

Would it be safe to say they are as good or better than the DMP3 pre's ?
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using the mic-preamp of the EMU 1820 and I must say I'm happy with the results this far. (SE Electronics Z5600a tube mic)

Will I improve the soundquality when I switch from EMU to Konnekt 24D? Or would it be more smart to buy a dedicated mic preamp/channel strip?

It's for male vocals and sometimes a bit of accoustic guitar.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Konnekt's pres are dead quiet and super clean. I think you could not go wrong with a number of these new interfaces: konnekt, Alesis i/o, onyx all have transparent pres.

With the konnekt it's more about the mic. A neumann will sound like a neumann and a sm57 sounds like an sm57. You won't get any color vibe from the pres just ultra clean gain.
Old 18th March 2007
How are the TC drivers working for you on that?
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

The only issues with firewire I've had is it locks up firefox browser when I'm streaming audio haha. But I think that's more of a firewire thing than driver issue. No problems with drivers (maybe i'm lucky) on an old Dell with a radioshack firewire card. A lot of reports of driver problems with sonar and Mac5's I think. I'm using sawbasic for recording and tracking and samplitude SE for midi. It's good so far, about 2 months.
Old 18th March 2007
The driver issues are the only thing keeping me from this unit. Once they get everything worked out for mac I will probably be getting on of these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search